Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Texas
THOR #8460
Red face Enough.

Well after three years of constant problems, I said goodbye to my 2016 Hurricane 35C and Smart Car toad. I wasn't prepared for the freqency of poor construction failures and decided to try another manufactures product (a small Class C with NO slideouts and hopefully minimizing the things to go wrong). Will miss the roomyness of the coach but in the end between the slides, levelers, A/C, frig, awning, and other misfunctions, it was just too much for me. Now I can park in the lot across the street, saving $300 a month in parking, with half the payment and one less vehicle to insure. Hopefully they'll be some kind of real quality control implimentedin this industry where it doesn't take two years to work the bugs out of a new product. wish me luck with the new 24' er.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #2

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
It is frustrating. We picked up our new Hurricane 31Z last October. I found it so strange that the dealer told me that the first thing I should do is take it in for a front end alignment. I thought to myself “the first thing I need to do is get something fixed “?? This is a strange industry. Most people feel the norm is “things are going to break/need to be fixed” even though it’s a brand new unit. Don’t get me wrong, we are having a ton of fun. But after a year we are already looking for something that has better quality. It’s not easy to find.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:11 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sorry to hear that you were left with any other choice...

But what did you buy??

Remember one thing: you're still family to us, so stick around!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #4

THOR #8460
Wound up with a 2020 Coachmen Orion 20CB. In part because after retinal detachments in my right eye the Class A was just too big to handle. Now I feel like I'm driving an SUV, not an 18 wheeler, Lol. Going to get a front stabilizer for it, will see if rear anti-sway bars are necessary like it was in the Hurricane. Will miss the auto leveler (when it worked).
Old 10-02-2019, 07:44 PM   #5

Model: Aria 3401
THOR #12542
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
It is frustrating. We picked up our new Hurricane 31Z last October. I found it so strange that the dealer told me that the first thing I should do is take it in for a front end alignment. I thought to myself “the first thing I need to do is get something fixed “?? This is a strange industry. Most people feel the norm is “things are going to break/need to be fixed” even though it’s a brand new unit. Don’t get me wrong, we are having a ton of fun. But after a year we are already looking for something that has better quality. It’s not easy to find.
Your last sentence is sad but so true. Unfortunately, I don't see the situation changing unless demand slacks off significantly or an offshore competitor makes a big push to enter the US market (like the Japanese did with automobiles).
Old 10-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam54 View Post
Wound up with a 2020 Coachmen Orion 20CB. In part because after retinal detachments in my right eye the Class A was just too big to handle. Now I feel like I'm driving an SUV, not an 18 wheeler, Lol. Going to get a front stabilizer for it, will see if rear anti-sway bars are necessary like it was in the Hurricane. Will miss the auto leveler (when it worked).
Nice rig!
(Retinal detachment in my left eye: driving the Wayfarer has not been an issue. )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
Thor MC keeps statistics on every coach returned to the dealers or factory for warranty, as well as parts they supply to dealers using the VIN. The average warranty cost (so far) per coach for plant 750 is just over $800 for the model year 2016. Thor MC makes it difficult to find the exact number.

For my coach, the total warranty cost has been $45 to show me where power port fuse was located, replace it and to connect an electric wire to the water heater relay. This was all done by MHSRV in 30 minutes with out an appointment. 27,000 miles and 45 months of happy RVing.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:26 PM   #8

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Thor MC keeps statistics on every coach returned to the dealers or factory for warranty, as well as parts they supply to dealers using the VIN. The average warranty cost (so far) per coach for plant 750 is just over $800 for the model year 2016. Thor MC makes it difficult to find the exact number.

For my coach, the total warranty cost has been $45 to show me where power port fuse was located, replace it and to connect an electric wire to the water heater relay. This was all done by MHSRV in 30 minutes with out an appointment. 27,000 miles and 45 months of happy RVing.

Wow that’s great!!
Old 10-03-2019, 02:21 AM   #9

THOR #8460
Well someone has to luck out. However it looks like you're the exception to the rule. For most it seems that quality control is pretty lax, just like American cars in the 80's. Maybe a Japanese company will take over one of these plants like the movie "Gung Ho" and rid the RV's of all the defects, BEFORE they hit the showroom.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #10

Model: Windsport
State: Alabama
THOR #15110
I feel your pain. I recently bought a 2018 Windsport 35M brand new and have yet to take it on a trip where there wasn’t a problem. My 1st trip was to Orlando for a week. On the way home the engine light came on and when I stopped the fuel line was punctured and leaking gas. The 2nd trip the hot water heater stopped working and when I removed the cover the electrical wires had all melted together. I’ve also had problems using the fresh water inlet on the passengers side getting stopped up and having to remove the tube from the inside and clearing out the line. My previous 2010 Hurricane would fill up the freshwater tank from the main water line. This was a poor design. The center toilet has a 90 degree drain and paper piles up all the way up into the bowl. I’ve had enough too.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:54 PM   #11

Model: Axis
State: New Jersey
THOR #3088
I purchase the brand new 2016 axis and I unloaded it six months later , the biggest piece of garbage I've ever owned. As far as I'm concerned Thor is the Yugo of the RV World
Old 10-12-2019, 11:09 PM   #12

State: Florida
THOR #12468
Enough

I’m on my second Thor, 1st was a Ace 30 traded it in on a New 2019 Thor Hurricane 29m purchased it new at the Tampa RV show . I have not gone on a trip without a major problem. It has been in the shop for over 60 days mostly because Thor must approve all diagnostic time then approve repairs , then the parts are shipped to dealer the slowest or cheapest way they can do it. Would I ever recommend a Thor product again ,not on your life.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:12 PM   #13

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I purchase the brand new 2016 axis and I unloaded it six months later , the biggest piece of garbage I've ever owned. As far as I'm concerned Thor is the Yugo of the RV World
Wow, can you elaborate on what were some of the specifics of your "enough" that made you sell after 6 months?

If we could do it, we need a way to categorize the issues ...
1. Presale defects / issues
2. Presale warranty defects
3. Post sale defects / issues
4. Post sale warranty defects

Thanks to this site and comments like "we don't make them but just sell them" from a dealer, I have become overcome over anal about #1 & #2. It is very hard to walk away when you get so close.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:28 PM   #14

THOR #14120
I have been lucky. Some of the issues I could fix. Some of the issues friends helped me with. I found an independent shop that is a Tiffin warranty provider. This guy is great. Thor has no focus on warranty providers. Tiffin has some really high standards. It’s like a badge you earn. With Thor if you can fog a mirror...that’s all you need.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:33 AM   #15

State: Florida
THOR #12468
I have had my 2019 Hurricane for 8 months, 1st I had no hot water replaced circuit board, then the fire fly would say the temp was 28, -17, 35 when it was 95 outside, it would only do that on front a/c not rear, the heat would kick on because it was calling for heat Camping World couldn’t find a problem took plenty of pictures. Took the coach to LaMasa in Fort Myers, they found a screw in the temp sensor wire, 3 times I have had complete power lost, batteries are charged but fire fly goes blank, so I can not retract slide, sometimes I can not start rig. If I unplug everything sometimes it will reset the firefly, if not I have to jump batteries and keep my fingers crossed. I have had transfer switch replace , now they are replacing inverter. Biggest problem is Thor only gives a certain amount of diagnostic time to figure out problem on warranty work , this is a complex electrical problem and must require more time. Now they are only guessing as to what the problem. Camping Worlds says “if you got a problem, I got a problem” once you drive away it’s your problem , they could care less.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:51 AM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaspys02 View Post
I have had my 2019 Hurricane for 8 months, 1st I had no hot water replaced circuit board, then the fire fly would say the temp was 28, -17, 35 when it was 95 outside, it would only do that on front a/c not rear, the heat would kick on because it was calling for heat Camping World couldn’t find a problem took plenty of pictures. Took the coach to LaMasa in Fort Myers, they found a screw in the temp sensor wire, 3 times I have had complete power lost, batteries are charged but fire fly goes blank, so I can not retract slide, sometimes I can not start rig. If I unplug everything sometimes it will reset the firefly, if not I have to jump batteries and keep my fingers crossed. I have had transfer switch replace , now they are replacing inverter. Biggest problem is Thor only gives a certain amount of diagnostic time to figure out problem on warranty work , this is a complex electrical problem and must require more time. Now they are only guessing as to what the problem. Camping Worlds says “if you got a problem, I got a problem” once you drive away it’s your problem , they could care less.
In new unit I was about to buy, I noticed that no matter how much fresh water I let run into sink, The electronic gray water tank never rose above 0%. How the freshwater level did decrease.

Under the be the wires for the firefly controller were all over the place. I worry how anyone could troubleshoot other than Thor? Everything else worked with controller, but if it went, I would have no idea as to what to do Paying a RV service center $200/hr to troubleshoot can be pricey.

With that said, for a coach under 30'3"
The Thor 27B and Winneabago 29VE are the best I can find. The 29VE is $10k more than the 27B. I think the 29VE is really built to be serviced if it becomes necessary. i..e easy access to all 3 batteries, all switches in one place but separated.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #17

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam54 View Post
Well someone has to luck out. However it looks like you're the exception to the rule. For most it seems that quality control is pretty lax, just like American cars in the 80's. Maybe a Japanese company will take over one of these plants like the movie "Gung Ho" and rid the RV's of all the defects, BEFORE they hit the showroom.

My daughter traveled to Japan on a business trip, and brought me a book of Japanese motorhomes as a gift. I’ve gotten a lot of great ideas from their designs in case I ever try to build my own Class B.

Anyway, most are very small — even smaller than European motorhomes. The majority start out as vans or mini buses. And like European motorhomes, they seem designed more for mass production, which in my opinion makes it much easier to control quality (or at least avoid/prevent mistakes).

By comparison, in the US we want our campers to have more space and more capabilities, but want it at a low cost. That’s asking a lot.

For example, cassette toilets that are popular in Europe are simpler and less likely to have issues compared to a black tank system, but who wants to be limited to 5 gallons? And can everyone dump a 40+ pound tank?

Slides are the most reported problem area, yet Thor wouldn’t offer a single Axis/Vegas floorplan without a slide for those of us who want to keep it as simple as possible. If I need more space, make mine longer. A solid wall is “nearly” 100% reliable. I suppose there is a slight chance they could screw that up too.

P.S. — From what I’ve noticed, quality of newer Class Bs which are more popular now than in a long time seem higher. But the cost for what you get in size and features is much higher. I think buyers to some degree can choose greater quality by compromising in other areas. Some buyers may prefer a smaller Tiffin than a larger Thor if at the same price, based on perception of higher quality.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:40 PM   #18

THOR #13058
My brother has that Splinter with Mercedes Chassis by Midwest RV. It is very nice and I was surprised he pulled the trigger on it. He had a few issues as well, but for the most he had no issue with the dealer. It basically is a Custom Van. In fact, he brings it to my place to keep things going and some of the workings that he don't care to drill down to.

With that said, and as nice as it is. It is too small for us by a mile. I chauffeured my daughter and about 7 of hers friends on Prom night all over Dallas. I was up to 5:00AM. They got a kick of it as they had 4 different venues to attend. It was pretty much sit somewhere and be still; or one person moving at a time. IThey didn't care they just wanted to get to where they were going,

The Thor Quality issues that I have seen from brand new units has just not settled well for me. I did my usual anal review in a Winneabago 29VE. I only found 1 thing to add to a punch list if I were to buy and it was very minor. The door under dinette bench that covered breakers/fuses would fall off too easily.

Now the cost / benefit question. It cost $12k more than the Thor 27B. But if I go by the MSRP value alone, it is only $5k more for the Winnebago. I get all things can fixed, but I really don't want a new anything having to spend 2 years or so fixing stuff. I just want an RV for the few times that I do use; it works like it is suppose; to and if it does not, a dealer that cares to help fix.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #19
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
My last Motorhome was a Winnebago. Loved it! I did order it with the Dual Pane Windows and other options. Had it 5 yrs. Never once in the shop. Keep looking and walk away and gather your thoughts often, you're actually doing a great job of picking out a new unit.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #20

State: California
THOR #5258
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post

We had a 2016 Thor Axis too and really loved it. Minor problems here and there that were easy to fix, but I thought it was a great entry level Class A. We traded it in earlier this year because we wanted something bigger and yes, we went with a company that has a better reputation for quality, but I don't regret buying the Axis. Part of me still misses him.