Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1547
Escape window on Axis/Vegas

Saw the recent video of a Dutch Star on fire with no escape out the door. Really want to be sure that bedroom window opens in case we ever need it. Have you tried yours? Is it hard to secure back? Thanks!

Old 04-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #2

State: Alabama
THOR #1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happily Retired View Post
Saw the recent video of a Dutch Star on fire with no escape out the door. Really want to be sure that bedroom window opens in case we ever need it. Have you tried yours? Is it hard to secure back? Thanks!
The window in my Axis opens very easy.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #3

Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
In the 25.1, I wonder if I could fit through it.

Bruce

Quote:
Old 04-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 31w
State: California
THOR #1556
I saw that on the news the other day. Hard to believe a front flat tire caused that. Lucky those people stopped and helped. I feel pretty safe in mine with 3 doors and two window emergency exits. I
RVI Brake2
RMS31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:35 PM   #5

THOR #1503
That is one of the advantages of having a class C.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS31W View Post
....I feel pretty safe in mine with 3 doors and two window emergency exits.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #6

THOR #1547
Investigated further today! Do you realize that only half of that bedroom window opens for a fire escape? Not happy!! Unless you are very agile and skinny, I think it would be extremely difficult to exit in the 20 seconds recommended by experts. Am thinking we would be busting out the entire window!!!!
Old 04-06-2015, 10:48 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you really need to use the exit window the last thing you'll be thinking about is keeping that window intact!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:18 PM   #8

THOR #1547
So true Jamie!!!

Does anyone know who the manufacturer is of our black frameless windows? We are seriously considering changing our escape window to full size instead of only half a window.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:25 PM   #9

THOR #1503
The name of the manufacturer is on the window. I am not at the RV otherwise I would have it for you.

If you change it, you will need to buy or build a magnetic screen so you can keep it open for ventilation.

Bruce

Quote:
Does anyone know who the manufacturer is of our black frameless windows? We are seriously considering changing our escape window to full size instead of only half a window.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #10

THOR #1547
Thanks, Bruce.

Made a quick trip out to the coach. They are Hehr windows. Ours are the 6400 series, and they are manufactured at the Michigan plant. Hehr has no full sized frameless escape window that would fit the space. They do make a framed 5900 series window that is a full sized escape window. It is a slider so would still have ventilation. Approx cost would be $550. It is not hinged, so entire window comes out! Not ideal. Would have to investigate other manufacturers and talk to Thor before seriously considering it!

We measured and opened our current window. You have about 18 inches height from the bottom of the blinds. That includes the 2 red handles, so you would actually have less height. Width is about 24 inches. Not a lot of space to get 2 people and 2 big dogs out in a hurry!!
Old 04-07-2015, 09:46 PM   #11
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Thanks, Bruce.

Made a quick trip out to the coach. They are Hehr windows. Ours are the 6400 series, and they are manufactured at the Michigan plant. Hehr has no full sized frameless escape window that would fit the space. They do make a framed 5900 series window that is a full sized escape window. It is a slider so would still have ventilation. Approx cost would be $550. It is not hinged, so entire window comes out! Not ideal. Would have to investigate other manufacturers and talk to Thor before seriously considering it!

We measured and opened our current window. You have about 18 inches height from the bottom of the blinds. That includes the 2 red handles, so you would actually have less height. Width is about 24 inches. Not a lot of space to get 2 people and 2 big dogs out in a hurry!!
Not sure how the Axis is setup, however, my Challenger has 2 escape windows. I have the half size window in the bedroom, on the passenger side, and on the drivers side, there is a full size hinged window with screen that is in the bathroom. The bathroom window is approximately 10 feet away from the bedroom window. The bathroom window is frameless and I believe my windows are also made by Hehr. I would have to walk outside to verify the manufacturer and size of the window.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:32 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 31w
State: California
THOR #1556
You might check Kinro Windows they make frameless windows for RV's
Old 04-07-2015, 10:35 PM   #13

THOR #1547
Dave,

Would be really interested to know what size that bathroom window is! Hehr's customer service said they did have a frameless escape window approx 27 by 60 but not a 24 by 48 that we need for the Axis.

Also talked to All-Rite. They would make a custom framed one for us for $1641. Can you say pricey?!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2015, 11:13 PM   #14

THOR #1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS31W View Post
You might check Kinro Windows they make frameless windows for RV's
Thanks! Tried them earlier but they had already closed. Looks like they have a 3000 series that is frameless. Will call them in the morning to see if they have our size!
Old 04-07-2015, 11:32 PM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Dave,

Would be really interested to know what size that bathroom window is! Hehr's customer service said they did have a frameless escape window approx 27 by 60 but not a 24 by 48 that we need for the Axis.

Also talked to All-Rite. They would make a custom framed one for us for $1641. Can you say pricey?!!!!!!
The window is a Hehr. The dimensions are 28 x 28 (outside glass size). It has frosted glass and a full window screen which has a large red handle for screen removal. The window is hinged at the top for opening.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote