Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2019, 11:08 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
Gasoline will evaporate and leave the gum and turn bad, diesel will not evaporate like gas but if you do not run it you are asking for trouble, piston rings can stick an moisture build up in the crankcase, its cheap insurance to run once a month, I have worked on Diesel engines that have set for 10 years and would restart, not that I would trust them to not develop problems, also keep a diesel tank full, a half full tank will allow moisture to build and then it will grow algae and that will plug your fuel filters, gas engines have a vapor in the tank and that helps keep out moisture.
Thanks for the good advice!
I'm a newbie to "Oil-Burners"; so I'm still on the steepest part of the learning curve.

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:22 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 25.4
State: California
THOR #7440
A word of caution, never store diesel fuel in a galvanized container, the sulfur in diesel fuel will disolve the metals in galvanized containers and turn the galvanized to a liquid metal, this will pass through a fuel filter and when it comes in contact with the hot fuel injector it will coat and hardened the tip of the injector and plug it up, I had to learn this the hard way years ago and some one gave me a service manual that spelled it out,
Old 11-09-2019, 11:25 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've been using "plastic" fuel containers for over thirty years now. I'd like to know where you can even find a galvanized one anymore.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #24

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
Back in the 70s during the oil embargo every one started converting their pickups and motorhomes to diesel and all the gas tanks back then were galvanized, now they are all plastic
Old 11-09-2019, 11:56 PM   #25

State: Alberta
THOR #14862
exercising the generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I've always appreciated the 'load your generator' idea, and I do load it(most of the time) but:

Why?

The exercise is, to me, the same exercise for a tractor or a seldom used vehicle like a concrete mixer...
To exercise the fuel system.

Why do we believe(in my case its lack of education, which I hope this post fixes) a load is needed when every other fueled engine is about the fuel system?
Thanks to Onan's crapurator which is so badly designed that it cannot handle the crapola fuel that we have to put up with nowadays, we actually have to exercise the fuel passages in the crapurator to flush out anything that will solidify over time and quite literally "gum up the works" Personally I use a hose pincher on the fuel line and another fuel hose and tee fitting and run the engine to introduce some fuel system cleaner mixed with fuel conditioner into the float bowl. It sits there all winter keeping all the passages wet. Come spring just use the little screw to drain the bowl and away you go. Personally I just crank the motor 'til it fires and just suck that cleaner right through the crapurator. Amazingly it now acts just like a real carburetor all summer long!! Just don't leave the pincher on the fuel line all winter.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:49 AM   #26

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
To run or not to run, that is the question. Many years ago the Army did extensive testing on generators to determine what was the best method on maintaining generators, and they have a lot to maintain! The Readers Digest version is run the generator at least once a month. Why? The testing showed that moisture buildup in the coils caused the most damage to a generator. Running the generator with a load builds up heat in the coils to get rid of the moisture, secondary benefit is preventing gum buildup in the carburetor. Adding StaBil or Seafoam to the gas does help with prevention of gum in the carburetor. Running the generator is cheap insurance against an expensive repair bill!!! I believe in evidence based information not old wives tales or what uncle Fred does!
Old 11-10-2019, 03:57 AM   #27

Model: Axis
State: New Jersey
THOR #3088
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
Gasoline will evaporate and leave the gum and turn bad, diesel will not evaporate like gas but if you do not run it you are asking for trouble, piston rings can stick an moisture build up in the crankcase, its cheap insurance to run once a month, I have worked on Diesel engines that have set for 10 years and would restart, not that I would trust them to not develop problems, also keep a diesel tank full, a half full tank will allow moisture to build and then it will grow algae and that will plug your fuel filters, gas engines have a vapor in the tank and that helps keep out moisture.
All good points but irrelevant as long as you winterize your fuel systems and your engines. You can find boats 20 years old with diesel engines that have over five and six thousand hours on them ,not a single one gets damaged over winter layup as long as you properly winterize your engines and your fuel system. This includes inboards and outboard gas engines.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:01 AM   #28

Model: Siesta
THOR #3975
So - let me ask - what about a propane generator? What's the best way to keep it working well?

We are in So Cal, so winters aren't very cold. We rarely use the generator when traveling - we will go 2 or 3, maybe 4, days without a hookup, then spend a night at a full service campground. We use the RV less in the winter but usually take it out locally - to the beach or the mountains - for a day or two every month or two. I am trying to get in the habit of running the generator for an hour or two each month, but there is not much load on it... I recently upgraded to AGM coach batteries. I set the STOR switch when RV is in storage.

Dan
Old 11-10-2019, 01:40 PM   #29

State: Florida
THOR #16891
Counter intuitive

I was always a keep-the-hours-low kind of guy on all my mechanical gear, particularly the genny. Longevity was my vision/goal.

Lots of people and recently an accomplished and 20+ year genny-only mechanic energetically insist........generators love to run.....generators are not happy not running.

Ignore the hour meter and run them, with a load to make them even happier, seems to be the best knowledge.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:16 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by lspotho View Post
So - let me ask - what about a propane generator? What's the best way to keep it working well?
Dan
Hi Dan,
My folks had a Generac popane generator (20 KW) installed at their place. It was set up to run 15 minutes each Month....
I guess that would be enough to keep the electronics nice and dry...
Old 11-10-2019, 11:55 PM   #31

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
I run mine monthly based on Onan's recommendation for their diesel generators.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:57 AM   #32

Model: Siesta
THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyhehn View Post
I run mine monthly based on Onan's recommendation for their diesel generators.
Thanks - that seems to be the consensus.

Dan
Old 11-11-2019, 01:23 AM   #33

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
I am surprised nobody has brought up running the genny to keep the fields magnetized. A generator’s fields will lose their magnetism from lack of use. If the genny loses magnetism it will no longer produce electricity. Running a genny every month for a short period with a load will keep your fields charged and your genny happy.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:30 AM   #34

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
I might add if the genny fields lose magnetism it will need to be flashed to restore it output capability. My old Generac lost its magnatism once. To restore Generac says to hold the start button in for 15 seconds after the engine starts. It worked and after that I have always run my genny at least once every 6 weeks. Not sure if that trick will work with the Oman’s will have to do a bit more research
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:53 AM   #35

Model: Hurricane
THOR #1380
Testing the generator is a good idea. If running shore power do you have to turn it off before running the generator? Two sources of power might be an issue. Not sure, any suggestions?
Old 11-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #36

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilby View Post
Testing the generator is a good idea. If running shore power do you have to turn it off before running the generator? Two sources of power might be an issue. Not sure, any suggestions?
The ATS will switch to generator power about one minute after you start the generator. When you stop the generator, the ATS will switch back to shore power. Just do not have any heavy electrical loads on when your ATS switches power sources to protect the points of the ATS. Personally I trip the breaker's on the pedestal before I start the generator.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote