Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 29FE Freedom Elite
State: Idaho
THOR #15730
exercising generator during winter

I have read several post's regarding the need to "excercise" your built in generator if it's not going to be in use for several months. This would be accomplished by runnning the generator under a load for at least one hour once per month. Most of the posters recommend turning on the AC unit to obtain "the load". My question is - if you live in a colder climate and winter temps are 20's or below, would you really still turn on the A/C? I'm thinking of plugging in a portable heater with the generator running. I probably need to know how many amps the heater draws, but I do not. What are your thoughts?

Old 11-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Probably be next to impossible to run the AC unit in cold temperatures so an electric heater would do the job just as well. Thats what I do and when we store it in the winter months access is not available once the building is full so we don't bother to run it until spring time.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Even if it just runs without a load: that's still better than not running it at all...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Our unit has a convection microwave so I just use that (let it heat up to 350 or 400) as the genny load (as a bonus it warms the inside of the coach a little). I've also used a hairdryer from time to time as a load (they'll draw a good 12 amps on high).

I've used the convection feature of the microwave more for this task than actual cooking ! LOL
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I've always appreciated the 'load your generator' idea, and I do load it(most of the time) but:

Why?

The exercise is, to me, the same exercise for a tractor or a seldom used vehicle like a concrete mixer...
To exercise the fuel system.

Why do we believe(in my case its lack of education, which I hope this post fixes) a load is needed when every other fueled engine is about the fuel system?
Old 11-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I've always appreciated the 'load your generator' idea, and I do load it(most of the time) but:

Why?

The exercise is, to me, the same exercise for a tractor or a seldom used vehicle like a concrete mixer...
To exercise the fuel system.

Why do we believe(in my case its lack of education, which I hope this post fixes) a load is needed when every other fueled engine is about the fuel system?
The reason Onan recommends running the genset monthly is to dry out the stator. Since the genset's alternator is air cooled it collects moisture during temperature changes. The metal in the stator is special low hysteresis laminated iron in plates that rust readily in the presence of moisture. The electrical load heats the stator and drives the moisture out of the alternator. The carburetor has a very small float bowl where gasoline evaporates readily, especially if it is a high Reid pressure winter blend gasoline which is mandatory in areas of the country than have pollution problems. Running the engine draws fuel from the larger more temperature stable, fuel tank effectively freshening the gasoline in the float bowl.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That's a very good point: thanks!
Old 11-03-2019, 09:23 PM   #8

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I pick a nice(ish) winter day and either go for. 30 or 40 mile ride with the generator running an 1800W space heater or just sit in it in the storage yard with a good book or a movie while the heater runs for an hour or two. I quite enjoy it, actually.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #9

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
in the winter I use the HP side if the AC. I don't know if this helps but the heat feels good.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:13 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #13067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I pick a nice(ish) winter day and either go for. 30 or 40 mile ride with the generator running an 1800W space heater or just sit in it in the storage yard with a good book or a movie while the heater runs for an hour or two. I quite enjoy it, actually.
This is what we do also
Old 11-04-2019, 12:18 AM   #11

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I pick a nice winter day, wait for it to get up to 80 degrees and turn on the AC.😊
Old 11-04-2019, 01:33 AM   #12

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I run mine periodically in the winter if we get a reasonably warm day. I have 2 ceramic heaters that I run on low which gives me about 1200 watts draw on the generator.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:04 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 32R
State: South Carolina
THOR #17209
Exercising the Generator

Most of the posts give you an idea of how to load the generator. Really you need to run the stale gas out of the carburetor which is accomplished at the same time. Gas starts to get funky after 3 months or so.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #14

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
Onan says you only need to run generator every three months to keep gas from gumming up the carb, the local dealer said every do it every month as the carb is $500.00 and they do not rebuild them, running the generator also helps keep the oxidation from building up on the slip rings, the brushes on those generators are real small an I have seen others including myself having a brush fail
Old 11-09-2019, 08:41 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Do you happen to know what they say about diesel generators?
Old 11-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #16

Model: Axis
State: New Jersey
THOR #3088
You dont have to run it. I don't run the generator on my boat when I put it up for winter and I haven't had an issue in 6 years. In fact nobody runs their generators on their boats during winter lay-up so why would you run the generator on the RV
Old 11-09-2019, 10:30 PM   #17

THOR #7440
Gasoline will evaporate and leave the gum and turn bad, diesel will not evaporate like gas but if you do not run it you are asking for trouble, piston rings can stick an moisture build up in the crankcase, its cheap insurance to run once a month, I have worked on Diesel engines that have set for 10 years and would restart, not that I would trust them to not develop problems, also keep a diesel tank full, a half full tank will allow moisture to build and then it will grow algae and that will plug your fuel filters, gas engines have a vapor in the tank and that helps keep out moisture.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:33 PM   #18

State: Texas
THOR #13370
My RV is in my temperature controlled garage. I put a ball valve on the fuel line
in front of the carb so before I put the RV in I close the valve and run the carb dry. Copied this idea from a portable generator and have not had gas gumming issues.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:39 PM   #19

THOR #7440
I know a lot of guys who used to disconnect the gas line to an outboard engine and run the carbs dry, only problem is the engine is lubricated by the gas/oil mix and some would experience premature engine failure, with engines with more than one carb the upper carb would always run out of gas first,
Old 11-09-2019, 10:43 PM   #20

THOR #7440
Most of the single carb generators have a drain plug on the bottom of the float bowl, you can drain the bowl and get rid of any moisture or fine dirt that might of gotten in past the fuel filter, running the carb dry on a 4 cycle engine is acceptable,