Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2020, 02:10 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tiburon
State: Utah
THOR #20618
I personally believe that extended warranties are not worth the money unless you can't afford a major repair. If I added up all the money on extended warranties that I could have purchased over the years and never needed to use, I have saved enough money to repair anything that might need to be repaired in the future. Since motor homes have a lot of things that can break I debated on getting one this time, but I wondered if they'd find a way not to cover it. I also made the HUGE mistake of taking my new RV to Camping World for a few warranty issues (not my selling dealer just the only dealer in my area to do Thor warranty repairs) there is sits on their parking lot waiting for them to get around to troubleshoot the problem so they can get Thor approval to complete the repair, which sounds like it will take them another week or two to complete the repair after they get Thor approval. I'd probably get it all done quicker if I took it to an Independent RV repair shop and pay cash, I'm glad I didn't spend the money for an extended warranty to where I'm stuck with an "approved" warranty service center, it seems like non warranty work is easier to find "prompt" service.

Old 11-17-2020, 03:08 AM   #22

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I tend to agree that extended warranties are unlikely to “pay off” for most people. But I have one just the same. My last coach had a slide failure (part of the frame broke) and I didn’t have a warranty on it. The repair was over $1400 which was less than the warranty would have cost but it was painful just the same. Wife insisted when we bought the new coach so there you go. I am pretty handy and have been able to fix a lot of things but I can tell you that slide, AC, fridge and generator failures can EASILY make a fellow wish he’d bought the warranty. If it makes you feel better buy it. Just be sure to read the fine print and follow the rules.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:40 PM   #23

Model: ACE 33.1
State: Nevada
THOR #21278
We took deliver of our 2021 ACE 33.1 last Saturday (11/21/20). We purchased the extended warranty, but picked a different terms from what was originally offered.

First offered was 5yrs/100,000 miles. I asked for 7yrs/70,000 miles. Wife and I still work full time. The 2015 Forest River (Forester) that we traded only had 26,000 miles. Almost kept it for 5 years. So we figured we would rather have the 7 years/70,000 miles.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:32 PM   #24

Model: Aria 3401
State: Florida
THOR #21618
Warrenties

I’m getting my first coach next week and this thread was somewhat helpful. So many options but not sure which direction we might go.. if we decide to go with an extended warranty does anyone have a company that they had a good experience and might recommend. Any opinion would be appreciated
Old 01-05-2021, 03:58 PM   #25

State: Illinois
THOR #21738
I am also about to pick up a 2021 Thor Chateau 31E but it was in a rental fleet and now has 26K miles. I am worried about the wear and tear from the rentals. Thinking a warranty that covers mainly engine and such might be helpful?
Old 01-05-2021, 04:11 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASST1 View Post
I am also about to pick up a 2021 Thor Chateau 31E but it was in a rental fleet and now has 26K miles. I am worried about the wear and tear from the rentals. Thinking a warranty that covers mainly engine and such might be helpful?
Welcome to the Forum!
The warranty can pretty much cover whatever you choose to pay to have it covered. It all will come down to what level of protection you want to have... versus what it might cost.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:22 PM   #27

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Extended warranties are for those that want to pay forward instead of paying when the problem occurs if it does.

Warranty companies don't typically operate as non profits
Old 01-05-2021, 04:28 PM   #28

THOR #21738
Thank you. I agree but this is our first RV and I am not sure what to expect when it comes to repairs. I am more worried about the impact being a rental. If it was one owner I think it would be a little different.

They are in the insurance business and hoping you never use it.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:26 PM   #29
Mag

Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Ford roadside assistance

Everyone that owns an RV on a Ford chassis has Fords roadside assistance for 5 years 60000mi and it transfers with the vehicle to a new owner if the unit is used. Check out your included free warranty before purchasing one. Call Ford and talk to them first hand.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:33 PM   #30

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

The engine and drive train are probably the least of your concerns. Ford makes good stuff and as long as the oil was changed once or twice you should be fine. A bigger concern would be what all those rookie RVers with no skin in the game might have done to the coach part. Still, if you did a good PDI you should be fine.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:36 PM   #31

THOR #21738
Thank you both. What is a PDI?
Old 01-05-2021, 10:38 PM   #32
Mag

Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Also check out Fords drive train warranty. It'll keep you going for free.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:11 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Thank you both. What is a PDI?
Pre-Delivery Inspection
It's the last chance to wake away from the deal; while they're showing it to you.
Old 01-05-2021, 11:45 PM   #34

Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
THOR #17969
There are a lot of Pro - Con reasons for extending your warranty and it boils down to a lot of your personal knowledge and abilities once the warranty expires. A year ago I ventured into our first MH a Compass 24TF on a Mercedes. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable and handy from both a technical point of view as well as my mechanical ability in many trade areas. Even after doing what I thought was a good pre-delivery inspection (PDI), I now realize I was a long way from where I should have been. Most of it was because I learned so much in this forum long after taking possession. Long story short, I still decided to purchase an extended warranty mainly because I wanted the security in a manufacturing industry I am marginally familiar, and to know that if my health deteriorated my wife would have some help getting things repaired if I was no longer able or around. I have done a lot of troubleshooting and made some repairs and improvements (personalizing) over the year, and still had to have warranty items handled. So my recommendation is to consider your circumstances and then do your homework before pulling the trigger.

Tags
extended warranty, magnitude, omni, warranties, warranty