Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2020, 03:15 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni RB34
State: New York
THOR #20403
Extended Warranties on New RVs.

Didn’t know where to post this..
I’m going to be new to the RV world.. I’m taking delivery in Nov ‘20. I feel like I’m a sucker for extended warranties. I always go for them and seems that it never works out by the time I have to use them. After reading about some experiences in these forums, I feel like I’m definitely going to experience some sort of problems. I know my rv comes with a 1 yr warranty.. but do you all get the extended warranties? The tire and rim warranty? Roadside sounds important, is it? What do you all recommend?

Old 09-08-2020, 10:54 AM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I don’t, put the money in a special account for repairs

A few people come out on the extended contracts and like any insurance tbe rest pay in

If it buys you piece of mind then go for it but be sure you understand what you are actually purchasing and where it can be valid

What are you purchasing? That makes a difference as well

Many appliances and components have separate warranties and are typically exempt from other warranties
Old 09-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #3

THOR #20403
I put a deposit on a 2021 Thor Omni RB34. It’s a new redesign of the BB35. The problem is that I have driven either the Omni or Magnitude because all the dealers around me are wiped out.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:42 AM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruncher View Post
I put a deposit on a 2021 Thor Omni RB34. It’s a new redesign of the BB35. The problem is that I have driven either the Omni or Magnitude because all the dealers around me are wiped out.

For a new rig, you have a year warranty...
You can always decide later based on your experience to add an extended service plan... and will likely find cheaper options than the dealer is offering...
If you do get it now, I would recommend not including it in your financing.
Many many threads about this.

Roadside service is different... Most of us can’t (or at least shouldn’t) be attempting a tire change... Many rigs don’t have spares on board (another item to search here...)
Something to shop around - not just for price though... Typical auto roadside may offer RV options, but look at how far they will tow an RV... will they pay for a second truck when needed, etc... and compare with the level of risk you are comfortable with.

Good luck with the new rig!
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #5

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #17456
No on warranty, Yes on Roadside

Quote:
I’m going to be new to the RV world.. I’m taking delivery in Nov ‘20. I feel like I’m a sucker for extended warranties. I always go for them and seems that it never works out by the time I have to use them. After reading about some experiences in these forums, I feel like I’m definitely going to experience some sort of problems. I know my rv comes with a 1 yr warranty.. but do you all get the extended warranties? The tire and rim warranty? Roadside sounds important, is it? What do you all recommend?
I declined the extended warranty offered by the Finance Mgr. Even the sales rep said it was a waste of money. In nearly a year, my few repairs have been small ones that were covered by the basic warranty.

I believe the Roadside Assistance is essential. I bought Good Sam, but there are others that may be as good or better.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:03 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
IMHO...
I wouldn't put my butt in the driver's seat without an extended warranty.
I'm paying for "Peace of mind"
Old 09-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The truck part of it all is pretty bullet proof.
If a warranty costs $5,000 and you have the cash, save the cash for repairs.
If a warranty cost is $5,000 and you never have the cash, buy the warranty.

It's not so much a warranty as it is a failsafe for lack of funds to do a repair.

$15,000 is a new engine and trans.
$5,000 makes it a 3 to1 bet.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:57 PM   #8

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
New ac unit $800. New water heater $600. extended warranty priceless ! Piece of mind.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapped View Post
New ac unit $800. New water heater $600. extended warranty priceless ! Piece of mind.
Amen...
Old 09-08-2020, 05:03 PM   #10

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Your instinct is correct, but in the end game your peace of mind should win.

As a general rule I never purchase any kind of 3rd party extended warranty. PERIOD. The exclusions on 3rd Party ESPs are mind boggling. If you could extend the Mfg Warranty that may be a different story.

In our case.
#1 Roadside Assistance is mandatory, but if comes free for 1st year from Mfg (Winnebago). Additionally it is included with my insurance, I could save any money by taking it off the policy so it is in. I am covered two ways here. I also bought Good Sam membership with intent to by their Roadside Assistance but I did not need to. If you don't have Roadside Assistance with above two Options, you cannot go wrong with Good Sam.

#2 It would have cost me $7,000 to by the ESP plan we were offered. I declined opf course. In my book I have $7k to spend on any repairs that may be needed. That is about $1,400 / year. I am approaching 1 year and thus far (knock on wood) NOTHING I have had to be serviced would have been covered by the ESP. Conversely everything I needed service was covered by Mfg Warranty. So effectively, I now have $1,750 / year available for repairs that may be needed. A lot of the parts are covered by Mfg warranty anyway. i.e. My Generator has 3 year warranty regardless to what ESP I may decide to buy.

Having said that, having a ESP is better than not having one, so the real issue is how much are you willing to pay for it? IMO ( and it is only an opinion) I would pay for one if it was about half of what they normally ask. i.e. I would have paid $3,500 for 5 years on my coach. That is $700/year.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:32 PM   #11

THOR #20403
Thanks to all for your feedback. I do like the feeling of "Peace of mind". Im waiting on a quote to add my RV to my insurance policy. I figured i could see if roadside is included. I have the dealership working me out the pricing if I finance vs pay it off outright. The quote for the extended warranty plus options of $35(basic)-$70(everything)/month seems high when factoring over 240 payments. I did see there are a lot of outside extended warranty companies like Good Sam as mentioned.. I will get some quotes. Thanks again all.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:09 PM   #12

Model: Omni XG32
State: Massachusetts
THOR #19481
Get a price from Progressive insurance. They were the lowest by a lot for me.
Quote:
Thanks to all for your feedback. I do like the feeling of "Peace of mind". Im waiting on a quote to add my RV to my insurance policy. I figured i could see if roadside is included. I have the dealership working me out the pricing if I finance vs pay it off outright. The quote for the extended warranty plus options of $35(basic)-$70(everything)/month seems high when factoring over 240 payments. I did see there are a lot of outside extended warranty companies like Good Sam as mentioned.. I will get some quotes. Thanks again all.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

Know too that the dealers price is highly negotiable. For the packages I was interested in the quoted price was about $7,000. It ended up at $3,500. It’s also possible that telling the sales manager (whom they will send in to see you when you get close to their “best price”) that you’ll be purchasing the extended warranty package will get you a better price in the coach. Dealers don’t much care whether their profit comes on the unit or in the closing. You can cancel the coverage within the first month for a full refund if that’s what you want. The refund will go against your loan, if you have one, so plan your finances accordingly. Not very ethical, perhaps, but if that doesn’t bother you it’s an option. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2020, 10:34 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
When I traded in my Outlaw after just 16 Months: I was able to get a refund of over $6000 on the price of the extended warranty.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:44 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
When I traded in my Outlaw after just 16 Months: I was able to get a refund of over $6000 on the price of the extended warranty.
So that must explain how you had enough money to buy the Tiffin, and with the balance left over you can now add the ForeTravel Presidential Suite when you just have to have a Sauna at the campsite
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-08-2020, 11:36 PM   #16

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
If you decide to buy a Good Sam Policy, remember that they use a 3rd party insurance company and you need to READ all of the print to determine if the work will be covered or not. I had their policy and had an awning issue come up. Camping World wanted $1100 to do the repair. I thought ok I have Good Sam Extended Policy. They called and were told it was NOT covered for what was needed to be repaired. I called them and was directed to the page and exclusion in the policy. I ended up dropping their policy and had the work done at an independent shop for $500 out of my pocket.

Paul
Old 11-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #17

State: Michigan
THOR #17909
Looking for extended warranty suggestions

Hi All,
I am on the tail end of my 1 year warranty. RV (motorhome, 31W Chateau) is in shop getting final warranty items repaired. What I am looking for is some suggestions on warranty companies that others have purchased extended warranties from. I am kinda handy with some repairs myself, but do not have the working knowledge for many items that could become problematic or are huge repairs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I plan on purchasing for sure but would like some feedback about specific companies. I am near Jackson, MI if location matters. Thanks everybody for your help!
Old 11-15-2020, 02:48 PM   #18

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Since you live close to the factory service center you can use them when you have a problem. Why not call them and see if they can recommend a plan that works well for them? In my (limited) experience with extended warranties some companies are just awful to work with.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:51 PM   #19

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I am not a fan of any third party warranties, but if you purchase and come out ahead you are in the 10% that do
The warranty cost and administration has to be covered by the company offorering it to make a profit and stay in business so they are gambling that they don't pay out nearly the cost of the premium
the 10% that did recover their cost will chime in as a great deal

Simply a gamble and I chose not to go that route as most of the expensive items on my coach had a 5 year warranty and much had a two year

Kind of like going to Vegas
Old 11-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambchop View Post
Hi All,
I am on the tail end of my 1 year warranty. RV (motorhome, 31W Chateau) is in shop getting final warranty items repaired. What I am looking for is some suggestions on warranty companies that others have purchased extended warranties from. I am kinda handy with some repairs myself, but do not have the working knowledge for many items that could become problematic or are huge repairs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I plan on purchasing for sure but would like some feedback about specific companies. I am near Jackson, MI if location matters. Thanks everybody for your help!
I am in your EXACT same situation. My RV is at Dealer now. My warranty expires in 8 days. Winnebago has a list of everything that has been reported so I am not worried about pre-existing items identified being resolved after the fact. Winnebago & Dealer have been great in my situations although I will never know what it would have been like 1st year without Covid.

Where we differ; I have ZERO plans to buy an Extended Warranty. I refused to buy my coach from the Dealer if Finance took more than 1 minute to tell me what they offer and the price. The answer was going to be No. They were quick about it and quoted me $7,000 for 5 years and we moved on. Sounds like you agreed because you DID NOT buy the extended warranty when 1st offered?

What I did because I had the $7,000; was put it up (invested) for any repairs needed. I budgeted $1,500 / year for repairs NOT normal Service but things that an extended warranty would cover.

Thus far in year one; that cost is $0. So I have been using the about half the money to buy things to protect my RV. i.e. I just bought a high end Southwire Surge Guard with EMS, a Jet Flo Macerator pump to reduce trips to dumping facility, and plenty of wax and polish.

After Thanksgiving, I will reset on another $1,500

FWIW the warranty for everything does not expire next week. Most items have their Mfg warranty i.e. the Ford Chassis Powertrain, Onan Genset has 3 years etc.

One final point. I once bought a brand new 30' Chaparral boat where the original warranty of 7 years were transferred to my name. I am thinking how great But After 5 years; I finally had what they agreed to was a valid warranty claim, (the refrigerator had gone out). It was going to cost me $600 with the warranty !!!!! I had a $100 deductible and since boat was at a Marina ( I had no trailer) they wanted $500 to come out to get the Fridge and then later to return and put it back in. So I take all day one Saturday to figure out how to get the Fridge out. I took it took their authorized repair facility, 2 months later they told me I had a bad compressor and it was going to be $436 to repair but I would only be out $100 for deductible. Well at the time a brand new refrigerator was like $500-$600. So I asked could I get the $336 and I buy a new one, and they would NOT allow. They repaired it and I put back in; so it only cost me $100, but my point is I would not have spent $1000s for the warranty. When that fridge went out; I would have bought a brand new one within 2 or 3 weeks

Tags
extended warranty, magnitude, omni, warranties, warranty