Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2019, 03:26 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Iowa
THOR #15642
2019 Thor Hurricane 34J - New Owner / New Problems

I started reading up quite a bit here and in other areas in order to prep for my first trip. Vehicle arrived and tried to get it aligned immediately. They did the cheap handling fix on the front sway bar but realized that the bolt on the back of the king pin was cross threaded (passenger side). Have an appointment at a Ford dealership to get that looked at in a week. Probably had some extra tire wear from the first trip.

There were a handful of issues and my wife was more upset that I was fixing things here and there during that first trip. The vehicle was transferred and sat at the RV dealer I purchased it from for about 3 weeks. Their little inspection didn't seem to catch anything except that the radio screen was broken already. They waited until the last minute to do this inspection as well.

Overall the first trip was still a success. First RV. Never owned a travel trailer or anything. Got to pick up my daughter from NC for the summer and take the whole family to Gatlinburg. Plan on doing some suspension / handling mods over the next year. Trip out there was easy, but when my wife was going to take over on the way back, it got a little windy.

Here are the list of problems I hope to get fixed and items that I fixed myself.

ISSUES

Sink drain plumbing gets messed up each time the slide goes out. Floods the inside of the RV. First time we noticed this I realized that BOTH ends of the drain tube were not connected at all. Thought we fixed it, but it popped out again. There's a lot of twisting going on when the slide moves in and out.

Opposite side of drain plumbing (closest to sink) leaks. It is the low point in the drain and despite the factory zip ties, it leaks.

King pin bolt stripped on passenger side.

Cracked radio screen

Reverse camera shows no input (aka just not working)

When the lights are on, the left camera is displayed permanently (as soon as you use the left turn signal)

Intermittent driver's turn signal light (you can see there is more tape on the wires around this socket than the passenger side like someone tried to do a quick fix)

Middle sidemarker on passenger side is dead.

Missing refrigerator locking pin (subbed in a bolt for the trip)

Missing screen door cover for door handles.

Workstation trim already cracked at time of delivery

Lower kitchen drawer rail was missing the retaining plastic piece... Ball bearings went everywhere and some were lost.

Lower slide trim pieces could use some extra adhesive. Loose.

Broken wood piece (cracked) inside lower drawer. Still holds the locking latch okay. (minor)

Seat swivel on passenger side missing rubber cover (minor)

FIXED DURING TRIP

Electric water heater. They tried to demo it so we wouldn't be surprised how hot it gets. Ran the kitchen sink, no dice, ran the bathroom sink for a bit and then turned it off. Was about to move on to something else in the demo when I asked if it got hot. Guy replied.... "uh yeah!" Ground wire was not plugged in. Not only that, they couldn't get the faceplate back into the electric water heater because of the plumbing. Door is still open because it is a tight fit. Didn't figure this out until I started poking around.

Added second drawer grabber to drawer under dinette. The cushion is too big (or the dinette isn't wide enough) and puts tons of pressure on it.

Outdoor kitchen fridge comes open easily while in transit. Added safety latch. Didn't want it burning out.

Door latch not working well (good thing I had some pliers, unfortunately didn't have big enough Allen wrenches... kind of fixed)

Almost all drawer locks were not aligned right in the kitchen. Replaced some, moved some, added child locks for a secondary precaution.

8 of 16 velcro patches for cushions on dream dinette were not in the right place. 1 of 16 had just come out completely. Adjusted so everything stayed in place properly.

12v passenger plug had a wire unplugged, cover wasn't connected to socket

Driver's side speaker had a wire unplugged

Mirror heater switch had a wire unplugged

Installed 1x 160w solar panel

Installed SnapPads

----------------------

I think I could deal with a lot of the issues as it did not kill our trip. However, my wife was getting on me for spending money. This is my second V10 vehicle ever. I was supposed to get rid of the first to get this... Haven't so far. Oops!

Already have our second trip planned for the week of the 4th of July.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Newmar London Aire
State: North Carolina
THOR #14340
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
I was supposed to get rid of the first to get this... Haven't so far. Oops!
lol, how many times have I found myself in this position! (not a question, a rhetorical statement!)

Welcome to the forum Chrisngrod!
2016 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition
Squerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:02 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
lol, how many times have I found myself in this position! (not a question, a rhetorical statement!)

My "Rule of Life": NEVER, EVER, get rid of your Boat, Motorcycle, RV or Wife, without first having replaced it with another!!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:37 PM   #4

THOR #15517
Solar

I see you installed a solar panel, where exactly is the pre-installed connection for the panel ?

Quote:
I started reading up quite a bit here and in other areas in order to prep for my first trip. Vehicle arrived and tried to get it aligned immediately. They did the cheap handling fix on the front sway bar but realized that the bolt on the back of the king pin was cross threaded (passenger side). Have an appointment at a Ford dealership to get that looked at in a week. Probably had some extra tire wear from the first trip.

There were a handful of issues and my wife was more upset that I was fixing things here and there during that first trip. The vehicle was transferred and sat at the RV dealer I purchased it from for about 3 weeks. Their little inspection didn't seem to catch anything except that the radio screen was broken already. They waited until the last minute to do this inspection as well.

Overall the first trip was still a success. First RV. Never owned a travel trailer or anything. Got to pick up my daughter from NC for the summer and take the whole family to Gatlinburg. Plan on doing some suspension / handling mods over the next year. Trip out there was easy, but when my wife was going to take over on the way back, it got a little windy.

Here are the list of problems I hope to get fixed and items that I fixed myself.

ISSUES

Sink drain plumbing gets messed up each time the slide goes out. Floods the inside of the RV. First time we noticed this I realized that BOTH ends of the drain tube were not connected at all. Thought we fixed it, but it popped out again. There's a lot of twisting going on when the slide moves in and out.

Opposite side of drain plumbing (closest to sink) leaks. It is the low point in the drain and despite the factory zip ties, it leaks.

Cracked radio screen

When the lights are on, the left camera is displayed permanently (as soon as you use the left turn signal)

Intermittent driver's turn signal light (you can see there is more tape on the wires around this socket than the passenger side like someone tried to do a quick fix)

Lower kitchen drawer rail was missing the retaining plastic piece... Ball bearings went everywhere and some were lost.

Broken wood piece (cracked) inside lower drawer. Still holds the locking latch okay. (minor)

FIXED DURING TRIP

Electric water heater. They tried to demo it so we wouldn't be surprised how hot it gets. Ran the kitchen sink, no dice, ran the bathroom sink for a bit and then turned it off. Was about to move on to something else in the demo when I asked if it got hot. Guy replied.... "uh yeah!" Ground wire was not plugged in. Not only that, they couldn't get the faceplate back into the electric water heater because of the plumbing. Door is still open because it is a tight fit. Didn't figure this out until I started poking around.

Added second drawer grabber to drawer under dinette. The cushion is too big (or the dinette isn't wide enough) and puts tons of pressure on it.

Outdoor kitchen fridge comes open easily while in transit. Added safety latch. Didn't want it burning out.

Door latch not working well (good thing I had some pliers, unfortunately didn't have big enough Allen wrenches... kind of fixed)

Almost all drawer locks were not aligned right in the kitchen. Replaced some, moved some, added child locks for a secondary precaution.

8 of 16 velcro patches for cushions on dream dinette were not in the right place. 1 of 16 had just come out completely. Adjusted so everything stayed in place properly.

Installed SnapPads

----------------------

I think I could deal with a lot of the issues as it did not kill our trip. However, my wife was getting on me for spending money. This is my second V10 vehicle ever. I was supposed to get rid of the first to get this... Haven't so far. Oops!

Old 06-19-2019, 11:44 PM   #5

THOR #15642
I actually happened to have already taken a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0ED3AF50-C1A5-4DAB-BFB7-AF1EFD13F5EA.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	18308  
Old 06-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #6

State: Illinois
THOR #12548
Sorry to hear about your punch list. I, too, am an owner of a 2019 34J. I got mine in end of July last year and had an equally long, but different, list. It took me all RV season and into this year to get all of the items resolved.

After the first trip this year, the kitchen drain pipe under the slide broke. It’s a bad design, common to the 34J’s. There’s another thread around here on that topic. After our second trip, the slide got stuck 2” in from full extension, and I had a bear of a time getting that thing in so I could drive it back to the dealer for that warranty work. It sits there as I type this, awaiting to be looked at and resolved.

I wish the freedom, fun, and family togetherness that we experience using this thing wasn’t so great and addictive. Otherwise, I’d walk away from RV’ing. But I can’t. I’m hooked.

My recommendation:
1). Write down this list and present it to your dealer to get it worked. Let them know that you will be managing/reviewing progress directly with Thor as this gets worked on.

2) Establish a date/time where they would have completed their initial assessment and submitted it to Thor to get authorized to work on the items. They should be able to tell you how long “in queue” it will take for them to get a first look at your rig

3) Call Thor directly, give them your last 6 digits of VIN, and ask the CS rep (Tom, I believe), to read off all the work that they’ve authorized to be done on your rig. You have a right to know, and the dealer won’t get reimbursed a penny without pre-authorization.

4). Check off each item you are expecting to be done and write down their pre-with codes for each item. There will undoubtedly be missing items. Also, note which parts have been shipped out and whether or not the dealer has signed off an accepting them. (This is the key part, as there will most likely be finger pointing on not getting parts to work on your rig)

5). Go back to your dealer with all this information and hold their feet to the fire and calling in missing work, and how long it will take to complete jobs now that they are exposed by having proof they have all the parts needed.

6). Get agreement on when the work should be done and set expectations that you will call back after that time if you don’t hear from them. Also let them know that you will revisit any of the above steps with Thor for “missing work items” or “missing parts”. Tom, at Thor, is very friendly and has always offered to get on the phone with us while we are at the dealer to remove any doubts about status of claims or shipments. Let the dealer know that you’d be happy to do that for them if they still seem like their hands are tied due to Thor for some reason.

Should you have to do all this? Hell no. But does it work? It does for us. It’s been very frustrating, and my wife is out of patience. Much like yours, she rightly points out how this type of QC from a manufacturer & obvious reluctance on the dealer’s part to make things right before you buy these massively expensive things is not right.

And yet, here we are. Plenty of soapboxes to stand on if you want to. Other than personal venting, I don’t see it doing any good. Lots of folks here are willing to lend their experience and knowledge to help you resolve issues yourself. I’ve greatly benefited from it over the last year, and I hope I can contribute a tiny bit where I can.

FWIW, I haven’t seen Thor be worse than any of the others from peoples stories at RV parks. For every brand that I hear “such-n-such is crap!” I’ve run into a person who swears by that brand. I hear tons about how Winnebago has the best customer service and quality. And yet in my first RV stay, I was next to a $300K Winnie DP who’s driver was on his way back to Indiana. He had major issues (estimated to be $70K worth of work) and they were jerking him around (Winnebago wouldn’t authorize the dealer to fix it). He retained a lawyer, threatened to sue, and now was headed back to stay there for the couple of weeks to allow them the time to fix it.

Welcome to the community, know that we’re all here for ya, and take some solace in knowing that in spite of all the crap your dealing with—in the end you’ll have a richer life for doing the rv thing. :-)
Old 06-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Living so close to the factory, I would take it to Wakarusa Factory Service. Excellent facility, excellent service and they do it right. You set your appointment time with them and they're there that morning at 7AM to get it. They have all the parts ready, a dedicated technician is assigned to your coach and they don't stop working on it till it's right. I live in Georgia...800 miles one way to Wakarusa...and that's what I did...well worth the trip and I'd do it again if necessary. The dealer service network, for the most part, is the biggest joke out here.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:55 AM   #8

State: California
THOR #9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post

Welcome to The 1st year RV world, after that it's all good
Old 06-22-2019, 02:19 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum. Gotta say, your dealer did a crap job of prepping this coach for sale. (Any chance the dealer initials are CW?)
The worst thing you can do now is drop it off at the dealer expecting them to call when it's done. Hope this is all resolved quickly and you can get on with having fun!
Old 06-22-2019, 04:17 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
By the time you get finished fixing everything you will know the coach inside out. I also agree taking it back to the dealer for repair will be a waste of your time. They care no more than Thor does.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #11

THOR #15642
Thank you guys for the replies.

CWray, yours seems spot on.

Thor has seemed ready to help where they can. I was asking them about a part that was missing because I wanted to just order it on my own real quick. Then asked about what my dealer had on order.

They have:

1) AC switches on order (don't need)
2) Step well light on order (don't need)
3) Radio (hey I do need this)

Dealer's initials are RV1 and after my new list I gave them, they need to add a few more parts.

I have learned a lot about the rig.

Just yesterday I was about to pick it up for the kingpin issue. Ford dealer said the bolt was just loose and not cross-threaded. I'm going to take it back to the other party to install a steering stabilizer. Was thinking about doing it myself but am running out of time. They can also take a look at Ford's work and tell me if they just put an impact on that nut.

The Ford dealer did an oil change and aligned the vehicle. I told them, "this might be a stupid question, but you're going to center the wheel, right?" when I dropped it off. They said yes. I got down the road and turned around because it is off. The same amount it was from the fatory. Also noticed they did the opposite of what I asked. When I first went to get it aligned at another place they did the front sway bar CHF. I asked the Ford dealership if the rear was adjustable and if they could do that. They actually reversed the front one and put it back to normal and didn't touch the rear one. Before picking it up I asked if the rear had been looked at and they said they didn't think it is adjustable. I looked and it appears that you could reverse the bracket and put the back on a harder setting too.

Now they're going to get the wheel back to center and look at both sways again.

Sometime between now and Saturday morning (out of town Monday / Tuesday and have an appointment for the steering stabilizer on Wed or Thurs) I have to change the oil in the generator. During the transfer of the unit from Florida to Iowa or when it was sitting on the lot they managed to put about 39 hours or so on the generator. Unknown to me at the time, this had already put us over the recommended service interval for the generator .

Still having fun, but a little worried this is going to add some stress to my life here and there .
Old 06-22-2019, 02:03 PM   #12

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
Thank you guys for the replies.

CWray, yours seems spot on.

Thor has seemed ready to help where they can. I was asking them about a part that was missing because I wanted to just order it on my own real quick. Then asked about what my dealer had on order.

They have:

1) AC switches on order (don't need)
2) Step well light on order (don't need)
3) Radio (hey I do need this)

Dealer's initials are RV1 and after my new list I gave them, they need to add a few more parts.

I have learned a lot about the rig.

Just yesterday I was about to pick it up for the kingpin issue. Ford dealer said the bolt was just loose and not cross-threaded. I'm going to take it back to the other party to install a steering stabilizer. Was thinking about doing it myself but am running out of time. They can also take a look at Ford's work and tell me if they just put an impact on that nut.

The Ford dealer did an oil change and aligned the vehicle. I told them, "this might be a stupid question, but you're going to center the wheel, right?" when I dropped it off. They said yes. I got down the road and turned around because it is off. The same amount it was from the fatory. Also noticed they did the opposite of what I asked. When I first went to get it aligned at another place they did the front sway bar CHF. I asked the Ford dealership if the rear was adjustable and if they could do that. They actually reversed the front one and put it back to normal and didn't touch the rear one. Before picking it up I asked if the rear had been looked at and they said they didn't think it is adjustable. I looked and it appears that you could reverse the bracket and put the back on a harder setting too.

Now they're going to get the wheel back to center and look at both sways again.

Sometime between now and Saturday morning (out of town Monday / Tuesday and have an appointment for the steering stabilizer on Wed or Thurs) I have to change the oil in the generator. During the transfer of the unit from Florida to Iowa or when it was sitting on the lot they managed to put about 39 hours or so on the generator. Unknown to me at the time, this had already put us over the recommended service interval for the generator .

Still having fun, but a little worried this is going to add some stress to my life here and there .
FYI, there has been much discussion on the later F53 chassis and the centering of the steering wheel. Some say that it can be easily centered by taking apart the steering box and rotating one or two splines over. My shop and other sources say that the later chassis design makes this almost impossible, if not impossible to center the steering wheel. I opted to have an "adjustable drag link" installed. It makes future adjustments on the steering wheel a piece of cake for an alignment shop.

https://www.motorhome.com/motorhomes...t-as-an-arrow/
Old 06-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #13

THOR #15642
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
FYI, there has been much discussion on the later F53 chassis and the centering of the steering wheel. Some say that it can be easily centered by taking apart the steering box and rotating one or two splines over. My shop and other sources say that the later chassis design makes this almost impossible, if not impossible to center the steering wheel. I opted to have an "adjustable drag link" installed. It makes future adjustments on the steering wheel a piece of cake for an alignment shop.

https://www.motorhome.com/motorhomes...t-as-an-arrow/
I will look into that . As we left the dealership I was talking to my wife about how in my mind they will either have to redo the alignment with the wheel centered or perhaps remove the steering wheel and move it over a spline or two.

I have worked with developing aftermarket steering wheels on Subarus, and we have to note to the customers that the splines don't always match from steering wheel to steering wheel. That you might have to redo your alignment after installation.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:36 AM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
When I had my 2015 F53 chassis aligned at a Ford truck center they told me the steering wheel would be off by about 30 degrees but they didn’t know how to fix it (!). I expect they just didn’t want to do it as they certainly know how. I took it to my local Ford dealer and they said “sure it’s easy to fix, bring it in”.. But they also gave up and said they couldn’t straighten it. I researched it online and found an easy procedure. I told my dealer about it and he agreed it would work and be easy but he couldn’t do it because it wasn’t a Ford authorized procedure. The problem is the tie rod has only a single adjustable tie rod end so if your toe is off and needs to be adjusted it’ll mess up the steering wheel. Why Ford builds them that way is a mystery but that’s how the F53 works. My dealer says the Ford authorized procedure is to remove the steering box from the frame and shim it’s position. So...I tried the easy procedure myself. It seems that the steering column attaches to the steering box with a splined clamping collar. Remove one bolt, pry the collar off, rotate it the necessary number of splines (10 degrees per spline) and put it back on with some blue locative on the bolt. In my case it took a 3 spline adjustment. Took about 20 minutes and would only take 10 if I had to do it again. I see no risk or downside to the process and while my end position is still a couple of degrees off it’s fine.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:41 AM   #15

THOR #15642
I would say I'm off about 10 degrees. Not sure how confident I am with this dealer so far, but we'll see.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:12 AM   #16

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
Quote:
I would say I'm off about 10 degrees. Not sure how confident I am with this dealer so far, but we'll see.
I am sure that Redlands Truck and RV would sell you the adjustable drag link and you could have it installed by a reputable truck service center.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:36 PM   #17

State: Texas
THOR #15794
Angry 2019 Thor Hurricane 35

In baseball terms in the first 3 months not even got to first base.

Only 8 visits to the seller for warranty repairs. All the tanks and more need to be replaced or repair, plus a long list just like this thread writer. Each visit cost me approx $50. on gas and approx 500 in hotels. As I am writing, definitely lost my confidence/trust on all the ineptitude involve in the process. And yes I trust all of them. Therefore I cancel all the do nothing service contract and extra coverage for the rv and trips.

The whole purpose for the purchase was to take a trip to Las Vegas or Florida immediately after we got the suppose to be new vehicle. Never imagine that I was going to be sitting in a hotel computer writing on a forum. I hope this help new wanted to owners.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:11 AM   #18

THOR #9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoaoo View Post
In baseball terms in the first 3 months not even got to first base.

Only 8 visits to the seller for warranty repairs. All the tanks and more need to be replaced or repair, plus a long list just like this thread writer. Each visit cost me approx $50. on gas and approx 500 in hotels. As I am writing, definitely lost my confidence/trust on all the ineptitude involve in the process. And yes I trust all of them. Therefore I cancel all the do nothing service contract and extra coverage for the rv and trips.

The whole purpose for the purchase was to take a trip to Las Vegas or Florida immediately after we got the suppose to be new vehicle. Never imagine that I was going to be sitting in a hotel computer writing on a forum. I hope this help new wanted to owners.
Sorry to hear of your problems, but can relate, took me a year to get all the warranty problems fixed, after that all smooth sailing, hang in there, once it's fix you'll be planning trip after trip
Old 06-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #19

State: Alabama
THOR #15026
Fix for Sink Flooding Issue

Quote:

ISSUES

Cracked radio screen

FIXED DURING TRIP

Installed SnapPads

----------------------

You may want to contact Thor about the flooding issue in the kitchen. My dealership actually created a fix for that and let Thor know what they did. Thor supposedly liked it so much that they said they would do for all future rigs and would let other dealerships know how to replicate the fix. This was discovered on our rig before we picked it up and they fixed it for us.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:48 AM   #20

THOR #15642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosemary View Post
You may want to contact Thor about the flooding issue in the kitchen. My dealership actually created a fix for that and let Thor know what they did. Thor supposedly liked it so much that they said they would do for all future rigs and would let other dealerships know how to replicate the fix. This was discovered on our rig before we picked it up and they fixed it for us.

Thank you for adding that info

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2681.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	18598

On the road again. Changed generator oil. Proper alignment and Roadmaster steering stabilizer. Just babying that sink drain.

My dealership takes a while to respond and we still haven't hammered out the issue that there are incorrect items on order and are missing items. Hopeful we can fix it all after the summer.