Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8223
Extending slide without using leveling jacks

We are in a 2016 Hurricane 34F, and for the most part, have had good luck with it. My problems seem to have been fairly typical things that seem bigger because they’re always the first time. And at each stop on this trip it has been something new. However, I’ve found that I’ve blazed no new trails in the RVing world.

The current adventure: (we have a Lippert Level-Up hydraulic system) the spot we thought was fairly level wasn’t as level front to back, and once the leveling jacks were extended the rear wheels were in the air, and the system wouldn’t complete its cycle. I tried to retract but with no luck. I turned the engine off and when I restarted the engine I got a Low Voltage message (not the error message though). After reading a thread here (http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...stem-2172.html) I was able to clear the Low Voltage message and fully retract the jacks but now we just get a “Return for servicing" message. We used blocks under the wheels to get the unit mostly level (the bubble on the level is maybe ⅛ off center front to back and perfectly level side to side. We put out the slide so that we have room to move inside, and the side to side level changed maybe ⅛ off center. All wheels are fully grounded.

The question: am I risking damaging anything by having the slide out without the leveling jacks down for a couple of days if I started with everything pretty much level?

You’ve all bailed me out every other time, here. Don’t let me down!

Old 10-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It sounds as if you're more than, "close enough for government work".
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #3

THOR #8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
It sounds as if you're more than, "close enough for government work".
Well, I am a civilian employee of the Air Force, so I guess that applies!

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #4

THOR #8223
And for what it’s worth, I just checked the fluid reservoir and there's no room to add fluid, so I’m good there.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:51 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
With the LCI jack system, the jacks go down in pairs to prevent twisting of the frame. Using blocks risk twisting of the frame and jamming the in-wall slide system. Having the coach level front to back or side to side does effect the RV frig but not the operation of the slides. Longer in-wall slides are more at risk if the frame is twisted. If you have floor slides, most manufactures recommend extending the slides before deploying the jacks.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Question: what did all of those poor folks do; who just had to use blocks under the wheels?
Were the frames stronger back then?
Old 10-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Question: what did all of those poor folks do; who just had to use blocks under the wheels?
Were the frames stronger back then?
My first class A motorhome had no slides (1968 UltraVan #388).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That's a great way to solve the problem!
Do you have any pictures of it?
It's fun to visit Memory Lane every once in a while...
Old 10-12-2019, 01:02 PM   #9

State: Florida
THOR #16016
If you are previously on a level surface, and you do not have your jacks down, the slide if it is big adequate will tilt your coach a little to one side where it won’t be level anymore.. The jacks give a great deal of stability because your shocks and springs are not meant to handle that type load.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #10

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
I'm not a huge fan of the auto level system. I have found that I can much more conservatively level using the manual leveling function. I have opened the smaller bedroom slide on my ACE without the stabilizers down, but I try not to. Our first time out my auto level got a little crazy and my main slide would not close as we packed up to go. I also noticed my door was a little misaligned. I releveled and everything worked fine. My experience showed me that front to back or side to side leveling didn't create much of an issue with the slides, Torxing on the other hand created all sorts of problems. Luckily most spots I have encountered are mostly level side to side, front to back leveling was a more consistent situation. Sounds to me that you are certainly close enough to level operate the slides. As previously mentioned, your level wii change when you open the slides and you will find it much less stable without the stabilizer support. Safe travels.
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 07:57 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1571515047
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Trouble.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	20917  
Old 10-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #12

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #2474
Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
Jacks down for slide to work

I don't know about the newer coaches, But my older 2004 Four winds infinity requires the following be met to extend the slides.
1. Parking Brake Set.
2. Engine Running.
3. Jacks turned on. (not down but turned on)

I assume that four winds back then wanted the jacks down before operating the slide. I sometimes operate the slide without the jacks down, but only for short periods of time. Never had a problem. My jacks are manual leveling not automatic.
Mel
Old 10-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #13

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
In my 2018 ACE, the slides will not operate with the engine running. Just like the awning won't work with the key engaged. I gues they don't want me opening them when I am moving. The levelers will only work with the engine running and parking brake set.
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #14

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
THOR #2474
Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMIII View Post
In my 2018 ACE, the slides will not operate with the engine running. Just like the awning won't work with the key engaged. I gues they don't want me opening them when I am moving. The levelers will only work with the engine running and parking brake set.
I think the reason my engine has to be running is the extra amperage from the alternator when running the slides. or maybe It could be that the engine has to be running for the jacks. Just a guess.
Mel
Old 10-19-2019, 10:05 PM   #15

State: Washington
THOR #7217
To clear the return for service, just hold the retract & enter buttons down At the same time for about 5 seconds. Should reset.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:06 PM   #16

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Oregon
THOR #5953
I always put jacks down and level manually before running the slide. I carry blocks for my tires since I don't like them in the air. Engine must be running to provide extra current from the alternator, as hydraulic pump needs LOTS of it. I also place pads under the jacks if there are low spots. I learned the hard way there is a 100A breaker in the jack compartment that will blow if I try to extend any of the jacks past the end of their travel. After the system indicates level, I turn off the engine and run my full wall slide out. This insures everything will be lined up properly and minimize strain on the slide motors and gears.

To your original question, if everything is pretty much level, I wouldn't hesitate to use my slide without the jacks down. Just listen to the motors and if they don't sound unusual during extension there should be no problems. The rig won't be as stable, of course.

BTW, first time out on our maiden voyage the slide would only retract half way and we had to call mobile repair. Tried resetting the controller and nothing worked! Serviceman was almost ready to thrown in the towel when we found it was binding on the front rail where knuckle has to align with metal extension. He reset the knuckle and there have been no problems since. I even got Thor to cover the full cost of the repair after a few phone calls to "remind" them.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:48 AM   #17

State: California
THOR #14070
2019 Thor ACE 30.2

When I first got my coach I tested the jacks in my mostly level driveway. It would raise all four wheels off the ground. It did it while out camping too.

A few months later, in the same exact parking spot, it started raising the body, but the tires stayed on the ground. That lasted a few weeks.

Now in the same spot, the rear jacks deploy but stop half way. The control panel flashes the left middle and right lights, which isn’t a helpful “error code”.

Hopefully the system will do this crap for the service tech when I bring it for the warranty work.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:42 AM   #18

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
THOR #15943
Our Aria 4000 includes instructions for setting the leveling jacks before moving the slides; however, our Georgetown had no such instructions and we never had an issue with it.
GVP
Old 10-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
What if you're "WalMart camping" during a trip, and have to extend a slide in order to use the bed...
Do you drop your levelers in their parking lot?
Old 10-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #20

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Sleep on the sofa...with your keys in one hand and your gun in the other.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote