Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2020, 08:03 PM   #1

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
AGM battery

2016 Axis 25.2 Can I change my lead batteries to AGM without changing anything else

Old 01-27-2020, 10:26 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
AGM Batteries

We did with our 2016 Axis 24.1. Great upgrade. Nothing else done other than we had to mount them sideways and made a metal shield for them to protect the tops from anything that might strike them underneath.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:20 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
We did with our 2016 Axis 24.1. Great upgrade. Nothing else done other than we had to mount them sideways and made a metal shield for them to protect the tops from anything that might strike them underneath.
We also switched to AGM, and added two more (for four total) under the kitchen sink... Now the OEM charger/converter works as it should, going into bulk mode, absorption mode and maintenance mode as it is supposed to...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery_Install_1 copy.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	22374  
Old 01-28-2020, 12:54 AM   #4

State: Arizona
THOR #14192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
We also switched to AGM, and added two more (for four total) under the kitchen sink... Now the OEM charger/converter works as it should, going into bulk mode, absorption mode and maintenance mode as it is supposed to...

How are you ventilating that interior cabinet for the AGMs? They do have a safety valve for venting and can vent the same gases as a regular lead acid.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:58 AM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
How are you ventilating that interior cabinet for the AGMs? They do have a safety valve for venting and can vent the same gases as a regular lead acid.
Piping a vent through the television bay on the outside of the RV.. With the collector just underneath the sink. The cabinet door keeps from losing heat/air out the pipe. Running 2/0.cables from the additional batteries to the original batteries under the step. This allows normal charging from the converter/charger and the alternator (BIRD). I also have a battery meter reading charge and voltage flow under the sink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190717_125755.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	22376   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190717_132017.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	22377  

Old 02-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #11029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Piping a vent through the television bay on the outside of the RV.. With the collector just underneath the sink. The cabinet door keeps from losing heat/air out the pipe. Running 2/0.cables from the additional batteries to the original batteries under the step. This allows normal charging from the converter/charger and the alternator (BIRD). I also have a battery meter reading charge and voltage flow under the sink.
Any chance you could post more detailed pic's and details on how you did this. I'm a relative newbie. Have a 2017 Thor 23TR. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:55 PM   #7

THOR #4649
Wallet

You'll need to cut up some notebook paper the size of $100 bills and stuff your wallet with them so you don't walk funny after buying the agm's....replace $1000 bills if you go lithium.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:58 PM   #8

THOR #11029
Quote:
Originally Posted by themnfitz View Post
You'll need to cut up some notebook paper the size of $100 bills and stuff your wallet with them so you don't walk funny after buying the agm's....replace $1000 bills if you go lithium.
Which model of AGM? I understand they are expensive. I use them on my airplane and get great performance out of them.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:01 PM   #9

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
2016 Axis 25.2 Can I change my lead batteries to AGM without changing anything else

Yes unless you have solar. then you need to change Charge Controller to AGM.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:24 AM   #10

Model: ACE 29.2
State: Colorado
THOR #10103
Change my 2 12V to 4 6V AGM end of last year. Now I’m upgrading my system by adding a inverter and rewiring for later adding solar. Yes they are expensive but the longevity and power [amp hours[ are well worth it.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:23 AM   #11

Model: 32.1 ACE
THOR #14323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeomanny View Post
Which model of AGM? I understand they are expensive. I use them on my airplane and get great performance out of them.

If you should find your self in San Antonio area soon, I have a ACDelco 65AGM new on battery tender $100.00. Amazon sent it by mistake & said to keep it. It was around $225-250.00