Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2021, 01:18 PM   #1
RCS

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Texas
THOR #24446
Loose Awning Arm

Has anyone else experienced this? My front awning arm will come lose while driving and move out about 18 inches. Opening and closing the awning is normal, and the front arm returns inside the rolled up awing, but hangs down slightly lower than the back arm. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and how to fix it before I get on a ladder and start taking things apart.

2021 Magnitude XG32.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	32953  

Old 08-21-2021, 01:43 PM   #2

State: Idaho
THOR #24577
Awning arm

We have a THOR 2022 magnitude sv34 with the same issue. Camping world is working with THOR to resolve. May need awning removed, patch holes in fiberglass and reinstall awning. CW technician write up indicates the awning may have been installed incorrectly by the factory--that position could change as CW works with warranty department. Until repairs are complete I've been directed not to use the awning as the mounting screws/bolts could work loosen even more. If the arm comes out I've also been told to access the roof, lift up the awning roll and tuck the arm back under the awning roll.
Old 08-21-2021, 02:03 PM   #3
RCS

THOR #24446
Willie, thanks. Please let me know what they tell you. Meanwhile, I will see what I can do to secure the arm and wait to see if it is a major warranty issue that I will need to put it in the shop for.

Thanks again.
Old 08-21-2021, 02:40 PM   #4

State: Idaho
THOR #24577
awning arm

there is another forum further down the list that also has some information on these awnings; https://www.thorforums.com/forums/ look for Chunker21
Old 08-21-2021, 02:50 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Mine did the same thing while driving. While it was still under warranty, I had my dealer fix the issue. It seemed to just be an adjustment to the arm and now it no longer does it.

Paul
Old 08-21-2021, 03:09 PM   #6

State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie2 View Post
We have a THOR 2022 magnitude sv34 with the same issue. Camping world is working with THOR to resolve. May need awning removed, patch holes in fiberglass and reinstall awning. CW technician write up indicates the awning may have been installed incorrectly by the factory--that position could change as CW works with warranty department. Until repairs are complete I've been directed not to use the awning as the mounting screws/bolts could work loosen even more. If the arm comes out I've also been told to access the roof, lift up the awning roll and tuck the arm back under the awning roll.
I don't see how the way it was mounted affects an individual arm to freely extend and retract. Sounds more like what Paul is saying. I had CW replace one of the broken bolts holding the rear mount for the awning, needless to say they used a bolt that was too long-noticed it in the shower.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:12 PM   #7

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
I just called Carefree of Co. Please check your awning end covers, they come off easily. They stated these come off all the time. I ordered and installed new ones on my awning. They are put on with simple plastic injection mold clips. I added a very small dab of clear sealant onto the clip, and sealed along the edge. This should keep them on in the airflow during driving.
Old 08-21-2021, 07:24 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS View Post
Has anyone else experienced this? My front awning arm will come lose while driving and move out about 18 inches. Opening and closing the awning is normal, and the front arm returns inside the rolled up awing, but hangs down slightly lower than the back arm. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem and how to fix it before I get on a ladder and start taking things apart.

2021 Magnitude XG32.

Thanks
There should be a snubber at the center hinge of the arm. The purpose of the snubber is hold the arm in the closed position by lining-up with the roll as it is closing and forcing the arm between the roll and the coach side. CofCs website givers instructions on how to adjust the arm's position.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 11:18 PM   #9

State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
I just called Carefree of Co. Please check your awning end covers, they come off easily. They stated these come off all the time. I ordered and installed new ones on my awning. They are put on with simple plastic injection mold clips. I added a very small dab of clear sealant onto the clip, and sealed along the edge. This should keep them on in the airflow during driving.
Good tip
Old 08-21-2021, 11:41 PM   #10

THOR #12698
For the awning end covers, I lost one last year and bought a replacement pair. I also drilled two small holes in each cover and secured them together with a black zip tie. They will not be falling off again.

Paul
Old 08-22-2021, 09:35 AM   #11

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
The awning is a Latitude by Carefree and you need the service manual.

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/d...de-Service.pdf

There are 2 adjustments needed. The first is adjusting the arm parallel to the roller tube. That's what you need. Mine was off and when I extended the awning the arm hinge knuckle would slip outboard of the roller then the roller would hang up on the knuckle and release with a bang. It takes an SAE Allen wrench, don't remember what size to make the adjustments. Sounds like you need to raise the arm.

The second adjustment is the pitch which is the amount of "leaning down" the awning has. It also adjusts whether front to rear is the same pitch. Mine was off a bunch, aft was 8" lower than the front. 1" now. 2 people needed to do properly but can be done with 1 if you don't extend the awning too far and can lift the arm as you make adjustments.

Service manual pretty easy to understand. No removal of parts needed.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 03:47 PM   #12
RCS

THOR #24446
Thanks to everyone that responded. It was the set screws out of adjustment, easy fix once I read the manual (RTFM).
Old 08-23-2021, 07:49 PM   #13

THOR #12698
Glad you were able to fix the issue easily.

Paul