Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2019, 06:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #16897
Question Exterior LED lights beneath awning

We just completed our first RV trip in our new Thor 2020 Quantum Class C Motorcoach. Our trip covered visiting 16 states and one Canadian Province and lasted 102 days. 3 days before we arrived home the led lights under the awning stopped working. We tried to find information among our manuals and documents that came with the unit but to no avail. Has anyone had this problem? How did you solve it.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
First - WELCOME to the forums!

If you remove the switch that controls the lights, you may find that there is an inline fuse in the switch's wiring tucked into the wall cavity. Several folks here have had the same problem.

Please let us know the outcome.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:37 AM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum! Suggest you call Thor customer service with your VIN and ask for ALL the schematics. This might not help with this problem, but might lead you to an answer with then next one!
Old 10-23-2019, 04:35 PM   #4

Model: Quantum WS31
State: Massachusetts
THOR #16115
Hi

I have a 2020 Quantum as well. Two weeks after getting it I had the same problem. Found the inline fuse behind the switch that turns the lights on. Lights still blow the fuse so haven't solved that problem yet. I have a leak behind the awning that drips down over the LED strip so maybe they got damaged from that.

What did you find that caused your problem?
Old 10-23-2019, 06:53 PM   #5

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
I had the same issue. The fuse was popped from water infiltrating the light strip. I could see where it shorted and burned out. I tried repairing them, but no joy. I ended up buying a water proof led strip of Amazon. Now it's on remote with as many color combinations as you can imagine. BTW, the replacement lights were available from the awning manufacture, but they would have been close to 100 bucks. Ours were about $30.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:05 PM   #6

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
I just replaced mine last week, this time went with blue lights, ordered from RecPro
Old 05-24-2020, 11:13 PM   #7

Model: ACE 30.1
THOR #17950
Half of my awning led lights quit working so I bought a 16.5' replacement on Amazon that is waterproof. In changing it I forgot to turn off the switch. After wiring in the new one I found the switch on and knew that I blew a fuse. I started looking for it in the panels and books but then thought of the forum. You are correct, there is a 2 amp fuse behind the switch. Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:21 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Find the lead that runs ou to them, and see if it has power when the switch is on.
If you have peer: replace the light strip.
If you don't: start looking for fuses, broken or shorted lines, or popped circuit breakers.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:44 PM   #9
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
I had the same issue. The fuse was popped from water infiltrating the light strip. I could see where it shorted and burned out. I tried repairing them, but no joy. I ended up buying a water proof led strip of Amazon. Now it's on remote with as many color combinations as you can imagine. BTW, the replacement lights were available from the awning manufacture, but they would have been close to 100 bucks. Ours were about $30.
Having this problem. We did the fuse the first time about a year ago. Nightmare to get at!
Can you please advise what you got on Amazon? Manufacturer if you have it would be great.
Thanks
Old 08-23-2021, 01:13 PM   #10

Brand: Keystone
State: Illinois
THOR #24563
When switching the switch, the LEDs most likely do not want to light up due to a malfunction in the electrical circuit. The most common of them are: oxidation of the contacts of the battery or battery; damage to the wires running both from the battery to the LED and back; a faulty shutdown element; and also oxidation. Most often, it occurs in already old lanterns, which are often used in various weather conditions. If oxidation is observed on a battery or accumulator, then you need to think about replacing it. That's all I know; if you want to find good lanterns, look at ukled.co.uk.