Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
F-53 Chassis sway bar issue!

Almost forgot to mention,

If you are driving a Ford F-53 chassis and is less than 3-4 years old, take a look at the rear sway bar mounting brackets. I had an issue in August, while driving I noticed a little sway and roll, just chalked it up to the wind. While underneath my coach looking to route a grounding wire, I noticed the mounting bracket for the passenger side sway bar was bent. It appeared the head of the bolt sheared right off and the bracket had bent upward and the sway bar had slid partially out of the bracket.

The ford truck center fixed it under warranty, approx 45 min fix. The service rep stated they have seen a few of them broke in the last year or so. He didn't know if it was a batch of bad bolts or if they were being over torqued during installation. At any rate, he explained that they only seem to fail in the first year or two and if you make it more than 2 years then they won't fail!

I just happened to stumble upon my broken piece, I've since added it to my monthly inspection list! Hope this helps!!!!

My unit is a 2014 Miramar 34.2, at the time I had less than 5,000 miles on the coach!

Old 10-28-2014, 01:34 AM   #2

Model: Challenger KT
State: Virginia
THOR #1221
Sway and roll

Notice a lot of sway and roll when truck passing on in light wind. Just purchased this 2012 Challenger KT. Are there kits for these F53 to keep the roll down.
Thanks
Roger
Old 10-29-2014, 12:42 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Hey Roger,

I've looked around Amazon at different sway bar parts and accessories, there are a lot! If you can take a look at some of the customer reviews! There are some interesting comments! Prices seem to range from 59.00 all the way up to 800.0 plus dollars!
Old 11-24-2014, 12:09 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 32
State: Indiana
THOR #785
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post

If you are driving a Ford F-53 chassis and is less than 3-4 years old, take a look at the rear sway bar mounting brackets. I had an issue in August, while driving I noticed a little sway and roll, just chalked it up to the wind. While underneath my coach looking to route a grounding wire, I noticed the mounting bracket for the passenger side sway bar was bent. It appeared the head of the bolt sheared right off and the bracket had bent upward and the sway bar had slid partially out of the bracket.

The ford truck center fixed it under warranty, approx 45 min fix. The service rep stated they have seen a few of them broke in the last year or so. He didn't know if it was a batch of bad bolts or if they were being over torqued during installation. At any rate, he explained that they only seem to fail in the first year or two and if you make it more than 2 years then they won't fail!

I just happened to stumble upon my broken piece, I've since added it to my monthly inspection list! Hope this helps!!!!

My unit is a 2014 Miramar 34.2, at the time I had less than 5,000 miles on the coach!

I also had the same problem, ford fixed, there is a recall on this part, Ford fixes free!
Old 07-11-2018, 08:04 PM   #5

State: California
THOR #1314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remfire View Post
I also had the same problem, ford fixed, there is a recall on this part, Ford fixes free!
What years does the recall cover?
Old 07-11-2018, 09:00 PM   #6

Model: ACE 29.2
State: New Hampshire
THOR #5447
I have had mine fixed twice - didnt know it was a recall item ( 2015 ACE 29.2)
Old 07-11-2018, 09:18 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Common problem for 2014 and 2015. If you check and they are good i would still remove a bolt one at a time, nuts are welded to the frame, add blue loctite, reinstall the botl and torque to 66 ft lb

There are 2 bolts for each bracket. If you have an impact wrench it should talk you more time to crawl under the mh than to do this fix

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:19 PM   #8

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokypa View Post
Notice a lot of sway and roll when truck passing on in light wind. Just purchased this 2012 Challenger KT. Are there kits for these F53 to keep the roll down.
Thanks
Roger
Roger,
I had a lot of roll and got pushed by semis oretty bad.

I installed a rear track bar. Wow big difference. Best thing if done for handling

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Florida
THOR #6451
Had the same thing happen on our 2018 Miramar. I was hooking up the safety chains to the towed and I saw something hanging underneath the motor home. The bracket was hanging down and one of the bolts was missing. The bracket was bent so I had to get a new one from Ford. Sounds like this is a common problem on the F53 and has been for several years.

Burch
Old 07-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #10

THOR #1314
I'm confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post

I'm confused and not very mechanical. I learned that the c-bracket on the sway bar on the left rear side of my 2013 Hurricane is broken. I asked my repair shop about this and they said they cant simply replace the bracket, the sway bar has to be replaced. Does this sound correct? Any insights to this situation wwould be appreciated.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:25 PM   #11

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMowrey View Post
I'm confused and not very mechanical. I learned that the c-bracket on the sway bar on the left rear side of my 2013 Hurricane is broken. I asked my repair shop about this and they said they cant simply replace the bracket, the sway bar has to be replaced. Does this sound correct? Any insights to this situation wwould be appreciated.
I have read several reports about the bolts falling out and the "C" bracket being bent or missing. But I have not read where the sway bar has been damaged by this.

I would say they are trying to create work not needed. It is possible that yours is damaged but it would be the first Ive heard of.

What could be damaged or needs replacing is the poly bushing that circles the sway bar and this is what the "C" bracket is molded around.
Poly bushings are very cheap and can be found on ebay by skuterdude, an IRV.com member.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-Ford-F...LH_TitleDesc=0

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 27K
THOR #2544
that is interesting. While having my Road Master sway bar installed the shop had to cut off the old bolts. The stock ones were so tight the impact and pry bars couldn't budge them.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #13

THOR #1314
I took a look today at my rear sway bar mounting bracket. It's broken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180714_110201.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	11429  
Old 07-14-2018, 10:55 PM   #14

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
I've got about 7500 miles on my 2017 Challenger 37TB and all looked good with my sway bar mounts when I did the CHF on the rear. Made a pretty big difference in the wallow it did. Just need to retry the fronts. Had it up on the leveling jacks and the bar would not move far enough to get the bolts back in with the springs partly unloaded. I think it will bind on the springs if I move the links to the other hole...
Old 07-14-2018, 11:39 PM   #15

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash557 View Post
I've got about 7500 miles on my 2017 Challenger 37TB and all looked good with my sway bar mounts when I did the CHF on the rear. Made a pretty big difference in the wallow it did. Just need to retry the fronts. Had it up on the leveling jacks and the bar would not move far enough to get the bolts back in with the springs partly unloaded. I think it will bind on the springs if I move the links to the other hole...
When doing the chf you should not raise the mh with the jacks.

I have heard of people having problems getting the bolt in because of the spring. Fortunately i didnt.

But i didnt like the angle of the bar in the chf position. So i made these brackets to lower the bar to the stock angle and i still get the chf

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	20170224_104517.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	11439
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #16

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
When doing the chf you should not raise the mh with the jacks.

I have heard of people having problems getting the bolt in because of the spring. Fortunately i didnt.

But i didnt like the angle of the bar in the chf position. So i made these brackets to lower the bar to the stock angle and i still get the chf

JerryAttachment 11439
halfprice I see yellow shock tubes, and am assuming them to be Bilstien shocks. Did you add them, or is that what came on yours ? Mine are Black not sure what they are.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:42 PM   #17

THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr758 View Post
halfprice I see yellow shock tubes, and am assuming them to be Bilstien shocks. Did you add them, or is that what came on yours ? Mine are Black not sure what they are.
They are Bilstien shocks and they were stock from the factory.

If i ever need to change them id go with the Konis. From the little research ive done they seem to be the best out there

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #18

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
They are Bilstien shocks and they were stock from the factory.

If i ever need to change them id go with the Konis. From the little research ive done they seem to be the best out there

Jerry
Thanks !