Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 35MQ
State: Florida
THOR #12430
2019 vs 2020 Miramar

Purchased my first Class C RV in July of 2018 and am already looking to make the jump to a Class A.

I've been looking at the Miramar 35.2 for a month or two now and had the framework of a deal in place when I noticed this week that the 2020 Miramar is out on Thor's site and starting to become available.

A few minor changes between the model years (listed below), but one change that has me oddly overthinking is the change from a two burner induction range in the 2019 to a two burner propane plus one burner induction range in the 2020. To me it would seem there was possible customer push back on not being able to use the range on propane if you weren't running generator or at a campground with power. I'm unsure if the batteries can support the induction range or not. Once I started down that path of thought I really liked the change in the 2020.

I know I'm overthinking this minor change, but I'm curious to know everyone else's thoughts.

2019 vs 2020 Changes
-Two burner induction range change to two burner propane plus one burner induction range
-Front dash controls redesigned/moved around (jack control, etc.)
-New dash head unit with larger screen plus Sirius/XM (unsure if 2019 head unit has Sirius/XM or not)
-Various outlet/USB additions/moves
-WiFi Ranger changed to Winegard ConnecT WiFi Extender +4G

Old 05-03-2019, 07:28 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
you'll always be on the fence if you don't pull the trigger - as every year something will 'change'...

but none of these are going to greatly change or impact your camping or rving or traveling one way or the other, in any dramatic or life changing fashion ; _

You will, though, have a much bigger chance at a lower 2019 price once the new models start arriving : ) that's what we did.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:46 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #4609
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdconnors View Post
Purchased my first Class C RV in July of 2018 and am already looking to make the jump to a Class A.

I've been looking at the Miramar 35.2 for a month or two now and had the framework of a deal in place when I noticed this week that the 2020 Miramar is out on Thor's site and starting to become available.

A few minor changes between the model years (listed below), but one change that has me oddly overthinking is the change from a two burner induction range in the 2019 to a two burner propane plus one burner induction range in the 2020. To me it would seem there was possible customer push back on not being able to use the range on propane if you weren't running generator or at a campground with power. I'm unsure if the batteries can support the induction range or not. Once I started down that path of thought I really liked the change in the 2020.

I know I'm overthinking this minor change, but I'm curious to know everyone else's thoughts.

2019 vs 2020 Changes
-Two burner induction range change to two burner propane plus one burner induction range
-Front dash controls redesigned/moved around (jack control, etc.)
-New dash head unit with larger screen plus Sirius/XM (unsure if 2019 head unit has Sirius/XM or not)
-Various outlet/USB additions/moves
-WiFi Ranger changed to Winegard ConnecT WiFi Extender +4G
I am in the same boat as you. Looking at the Miramar 35.2 and the Challenger 35MQ. Same RV floorplan and mechanically. Only difference Challenger has interior material quality upgrades. Miramar has armless awning.I am interested in knowing why they are bringing back the gas range with induction. Do people not like the induction? Interested in folks who have the induction what their thoughts are on this.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:21 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
I think you need to look deeper at what will be the model year for the chassis. 2019 is the last year for the 6.8L v10 with a 7.2L V8 engine replacing it. Same 6 speed transmission.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
"-Two burner induction range change to two burner propane plus one burner induction range"

One of the reasons for this change comes from buyers realizing you can't cook at high temps with two induction burners at the same time. It's probably something the "engineers" didn't take into consideration when they switched from gas in the beginning. The available power is split between them. The gas combo allows two burners (on gas) to cook at high temps. If still leaves you with one induction for use on electric. If you run out of LP, you still have a cooking option.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
But also consider that the 2019 should be offered with deep discounts now..... IMO you should be saving $10K + over the 2020. Push for 40%+ off of list pice on the 2019 and dont settle for anything less than 35% off of list.

So if you really like the combo electic/gas you can alway have it retrofited at a later date. You would have saved more than enough money to make it happen.

So do let a few "New features" tie your hands. IMO Price is still King.

Im not sure if they are swaping to a V8 in 2020 or not..... I know they been talking about it but this is the first I heard of it for the 2020 year model.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:12 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
For me, getting the 10 cylinder engine would be a plus and I’d make sure I bought before the change is made. Likely the new engine will be “better” than the old for being more modern and I’ll probably want one in a few years but I wouldn’t want one in the first year of production. Too many bugs to be worked out and the 6.8 is a wonderful, proven workhorse of an engine. It had some design bugs in its early years but they’re all fixed now. Just my opinion, of course.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:29 PM   #8

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
For me, getting the 10 cylinder engine would be a plus and I’d make sure I bought before the change is made. Likely the new engine will be “better” than the old for being more modern and I’ll probably want one in a few years but I wouldn’t want one in the first year of production. Too many bugs to be worked out and the 6.8 is a wonderful, proven workhorse of an engine. It had some design bugs in its early years but they’re all fixed now. Just my opinion, of course.

I'm all about "tried and true" as well. It took Ford nearly 30 years to perfect the diesel, starting with the original International Harvester, non-turbo model. It originally was the 390 gas engine block made into a diesel. That's why it was so well knows as the "Power Joke". Let them work out the bugs or you'll be eating bugs.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #4609
Thanks Gritz, I knew there had to be some reason they would go away from the all electric setup. You would think they could redesign the induction to fix that problem. I'm sure there are people that just prefer cooking with gas.

The 2020's on the lots as of now have the V10 engines.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:06 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
The 2020's on the lots as of now have the V10 engines.
Yeah I have not noticed any of the 2020 Thor models with the new v8 engine. I bet it will be 2021 or 2022.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:33 AM   #11

State: New Jersey
THOR #14734
Bought our Miramar in January, was getting ready to finalize a 2019 35.2 but it was sold before we made our final decision. Could have waited for a new one to come in but we were lucky enough to locate a leftover 2018 35.2 Didn't have everything in it that we hoped compared to the 2019 but at a price of well over 25k less than what we would have paid for the 2019 it was well worth it. If you can get a 2019 at a deep discount you can always add the options that the 2020 has other than the motor. You can also negotiate with the dealer to add the options as part of the package. We did this with the theater seats.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
Interested in folks who have the induction what their thoughts are on this.

We have a 2018 Miramar 35.3 which was the first year for the induction stove. My wife was bummed because she likes cooking on gas. After getting used to it, she now prefers the induction. We mainly camp in Florida and not having the heat from the gas burners is a real plus in the summer. Using both burners at the same time does knock down the cooking temp but this hasn't been an issue for us. I am amazed at how quick you can get a pot of water boiling on the induction. Not sure how much battery drain would be as we don't boondock.