Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2019, 09:35 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #15515
Yes it will be. I am excited. Thanks

Old 10-26-2019, 09:38 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
By the way: Our Toad will be riding on a 12' utility trailer.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1572125902
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1362.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	21099  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:42 PM   #23

Model: Challenger
THOR #9265
We have a 38 foot MH, flat towing a small pickup. For overnights, we ask for a pull through site. Seldom unhook unless we're sightseeing. Even so, it's 10 minites tops to hook up or unhook. We used to have a dolly but never again.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #24

Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
We use a Tow Master tow dolly with surge brake and have no issues, always get a pull through site and never unhook the dolly. We like the dolly because we can take any of our cars. We tryed flat towing but somehow the car went into gear at 60mph and blew up the trans and engine,never did find out what happened.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #25

THOR #14255
For short stays 1-2 nights I leave the toad at home and use either the bikes or Uber. Longer trips I bring the Jeep Wrangler 4 down. I’ve also rented a tow dolly to occasionally bring a sportier vehicle along. I would not try to level and extend slides with the car or dolly attached. I hope that helps
Old 11-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #26
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrooney View Post
I am trying to decide to tow or not. I am concerned about how often I will have to unhook the dolly to get into a campsite. No problem if I will be staying for a few days but seems it would be a pain just to spend the night. Also how often I would get in a situation to have to unhook to get out of it. My Axis is so easy to get around in I hate to spoil that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin
We didn't tow our first year out. Didnt take long for us to know we would be the next year. There were so many places we missed out on that our fe30 couldn't go. Not to mention having to unhook theater sewer etc was a huge pia. We are towing a jeep this year. Takes us 5 minutes to unhook and allows us SO much freedom. Now we are actually seeing areas instead of just campgrounds. We would never ho without a tow again.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #27

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
This is an amazing world, that is the RV world. There is a bunch of different ways to do things and I believe they are all done and each to their own. We have not towed in 4 years since we have been doing this RV thing and we have slept in all but 4 states and stay out as long as 4 months. When we need to we rent a car or use public transportation but being only 28 foot we can go a lot of places. This works for us but we all beat to a different drummer and it works. I wish all safe travels and great adventures.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:51 PM   #28

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Three day rule

I use a tow dolly if my stay is at a minimum of three days, Anything less, I prefer to get around with my Vegas, if other modes of transportation are not available, such as Uber or shuttles.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:52 PM   #29

State: North Carolina
THOR #13548
Had to unhook dolly only once

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrooney View Post
jbwilli1 That's what I was hoping to be able to do in the pull thrus. Do you have any issues leveling with the toad hooked up? Have you ever had to unhook to get out of a situation?
Thanks to you and petefoss
We tow our Mini Cooper on an Acme EZE tow dolly. Only had to unhook one time when I thought that I could circle around behind a Cracker Barrel restaurant. Lesson learned was that I needed to get out and go check first if an area looked "iffy". Having a set of wheels other than the motorhome to get around is a big benefit well worth the minor inconvenience of towing.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:58 PM   #30

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I think it really depends on how you use your RV on whether it is “worth it’ to you to tow or not to tow. If you drive to a location and stay for a week and that is your normal procedure, then towing makes sense to me. If you normally only stay at a location for a day or two and like to stop along the way as you travel, then towing limits where you can go and where you can stop and I don’t think that having a vehicle along is worth the hassle and limitations. Others feel differently. There is no right or wrong here.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:40 AM   #31
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I think it really depends on how you use your RV ……. There is no right or wrong here.
We agree with you...as we have posted previously..we have pulled an enclosed motorcycle trailer...hitch mounted motorcycle...and now have evolved to our 20 yr old Jeep TJ ! Towing 'Lil Red' 4 down is so easy and hookup/unhook is about a 5 minute task.
It is all about what works for each individual.
As long as we all are HAPPY CAMPERS !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:51 AM   #32

Model: Vegas
THOR #17148
I flat tow a 2014 Honda CR-V behind my 2016 Thor Vegas. It adds maybe 10 minutes to prep time to drive away from a campsite. It takes less than 3 minutes to unhook at a camp if I want to use the car or have to unhook because the car-RV is too long for the site. I use a Roadmaster Supplemental brake on the CR-V and a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar. Good to have the ability to go play golf or go out for dinner after setting up at a camp for the night.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:17 PM   #33

State: Tennessee
THOR #13519
Tow, after your first trip you will have it down to a couple of minutes to disconnect or connect. Towing gives you flexibility to enjoy the area.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It's the fear of the unknown; that makes these decisions so darn tough...
Old 11-03-2019, 04:20 PM   #35

Model: Hurricane
State: Virginia
THOR #11117
The reply to this is talk to text. Please excuse punctuation and minor errors

We have been owners for about 3 years now of a 37 foot Thor Hurricane and we absolutely love it.

If you put the , Insurance, purchase, hook up cost, inconvenience, breaking system for the towed car, tireminder for the towed car all together and you compare that on a spreadsheet with cost a weekly rentals, cost of Uber transportation and convenience of not having to tow, we found that the value in not towing outweighed the value of having a car with us 24/7. We always pull into a grocery store prior to the campsite anyway and that eliminates small runs to the 7/11.

We have decided on a small two-person scooter that is good enough for a short run to the pool to get grandchildren or to the store for more eggs, or, or, or....

But, we are not full-timers. Perhaps if we were, we might have a different outlook.

Dave and Shelia
Chester, VA
Old 11-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #36

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #15515
We rented a couple times, just was not for us. We are more spur of the moment. Don't like to make plans or reservations. We sometimes get up in the morning and decide where we want to go (or if we want to go) and sometimes change plans on the way to the next stop. We have been in areas where we were going to stay for a few days and ride our bikes then it would rain for those day's and the nearest rental would require us to unhook and go get it, and unhooking and hooking back up in the rain is not fun. So instead of getting to see some of the things in that area we sat and watched movies and the rain all day not so much fun either. In some places the bike trails are too far away to ride our bikes to and if we have our car along we can get to them. We decided towing is the way to go for us. More freedom.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:20 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The Toad can also turn out to be a pretty handy second vehicle for a household.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:10 PM   #38
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMerritt View Post

If you put the , Insurance, purchase, hook up cost, inconvenience, breaking system for the towed car, tireminder for the towed car all together and you compare that on a spreadsheet with cost a weekly rentals, cost of Uber transportation and convenience of not having to tow, we found that the value in not towing outweighed the value of having a car with us 24/7.
So for a toad that is also used for a daily driver there is no additional cost for insurance and purchase.
The inconvenience of connecting/disconnecting is far outweighed by the inconvenience of finding, contracting and executing a car rental, not to mention the convenience of just getting in your own car and going as you wish.
Don't need a separate tireminder for the toad - at most you could purchase 4 additional sensors for the tireminder for the coach.

The "value" in having that vehicle to site-see in places where there are no car rentals, Ubers or Lyfts far outweighs the monetary value of outfitting a toad for 4 flat towing IMHO.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:14 PM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've got a saying that covers all of this...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1572873257
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floating Your Goat.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	21273  
Old 11-04-2019, 03:10 PM   #40
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
FWIW, we have done all three.

With our class c a number of years ago we dolly towed a Ford Fusion. The dolly was nice because we could tow any front wheel drive vehicle and since the dolly had surge brakes there wasn't any special setup (brake controllers) required. The dolly did present some challenges/issues at times. On 2 occasions RV parks did not have pull through sites. This happened first in Crossville, TN at a FMCA chapter rally. I had to disconnect the car and dolly before backing into the site and then had to reconnect when leaving. The second time was Fort Wilderness with the same situation.

With the Challenger we never towed. We used Enterprise rental. Issues with this were arriving and departing while a rental facility was open and going to locations were Enterprise was not available. The only issue with pick up and drop off with Enterprise that we found was Camp Hatteras in Wave, NC. The Enterprise location in Kitty Hawk told us they will not pick up or drop off on NC 12 during the summer (in season) months due to excessive traffic. There are local rental agencies all along NC 12. In some cases, with distance less than 250 miles, I would drive the Challenger and DW would follow in our SUV.

When we purchased the Jeep Grand Cherokee we had it outfitted for flat towing. Due to poor installation of the InvisiBrake we have not yet been able to put a good tow on the vehicle. I hope that changes with the shakedown cruise of the Accolade this coming weekend. The Jury is still out on whether or not over 3K for the setup is a worthwhile expense. For the Accolade I have had the addition requirement of a 2 inch High/low adapter and extensions for the safety cables (received free from Roadmaster) and additional pin locks for securing the tow bar to the motor home. The necessity of the high/low adapter added approx 225.00 to the cost of the setup (10k lb high/low adapter).

Which did we like best? I'll have to answer that question after we get some flat towing time in.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote