Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2020, 10:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Firefly system issue.

In our 18 Aria, I just noticed the aisle lights no longler work. I spent most of the day looking at wiring charts, digging into wiring, trying to figure out what wire goes where. I finally pulled out the G6 Firefly panel (because according to there manual, if the green light is on, the circuit is powered- the light is on, but not power coming out of the panel for the aisle light circuit). So, following the Firefly troubleshooting guide, after resetting the system by turning off all 12V, and trying again, the only fix is to replace the G6 panel. 1 year warranty. Wonder what that will cost? Seems light old fashioned wires, switches, and fuses might be more reliable and with far less cost.

Old 08-16-2020, 11:03 PM   #2

Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
Probably a silly question, but did you verify that the lights aren't dimmed all the way down? That tripped me up with our living room lights.

Just push and hold the light icon on the control panel.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:42 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post
Probably a silly question, but did you verify that the lights aren't dimmed all the way down? That tripped me up with our living room lights.

On ours only bedroom and living room are dimmable. I am guessing the aisle is not. But definitely a good suggestion. Perhaps the bulb is faulty. Our Hall light only has one light fixture.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:04 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
On our rig all lights controlled through firefly are dimmable to include outside and awning.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:45 AM   #5

THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyphoid View Post

Yep, did that right away. Thanks, though.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:47 AM   #6

THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
On ours only bedroom and living room are dimmable. I am guessing the aisle is not. But definitely a good suggestion. Perhaps the bulb is faulty. Our Hall light only has one light fixture.
There are several lights, no power to them. No power out of the Firefly G6 panel to that wire.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #7

State: Arizona
THOR #14127
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
There are several lights, no power to them. No power out of the Firefly G6 panel to that wire.
You verified the aisle 12V feed wire coming out of the G6 panel directly has no power with a multimeter? I have a 2017 Thor Aria 3901 and, in my case, there was an in-line fuse before the lighting.

Couple of recommendations:

1) If you haven't put a meter on it, try it to see if you have 12V from that output on the back of the G6A.
2) Make sure the Molex connector is seated on the back of the G6A panel well for the outputs in question..I had some that were not put on securely and some bad crimps too.
3) Try completely disconnecting the aisle lighting and hooking up a 12V test lamp directly to the G6A on that output (i.e.: eliminate the possibility that there is a fault/short in the aisle lighting vs. the panel output actually not working).
4) If it is the G6A, and you have eliminated all other possibilities, contact Firefly Integrations directly. They may be able to send you a new module/card for the back of the G6A (since they are modular in design) vs. replacing the entire thing.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:03 PM   #8

THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznytfury View Post
You verified the aisle 12V feed wire coming out of the G6 panel directly has no power with a multimeter? I have a 2017 Thor Aria 3901 and, in my case, there was an in-line fuse before the lighting.

Couple of recommendations:

1) If you haven't put a meter on it, try it to see if you have 12V from that output on the back of the G6A.
2) Make sure the Molex connector is seated on the back of the G6A panel well for the outputs in question..I had some that were not put on securely and some bad crimps too.
3) Try completely disconnecting the aisle lighting and hooking up a 12V test lamp directly to the G6A on that output (i.e.: eliminate the possibility that there is a fault/short in the aisle lighting vs. the panel output actually not working).
4) If it is the G6A, and you have eliminated all other possibilities, contact Firefly Integrations directly. They may be able to send you a new module/card for the back of the G6A (since they are modular in design) vs. replacing the entire thing.
1) yes put a meter on it before I posted, no juice.
2) connector is firm- no power to pin with connector removed.
3) Did not do this as no 12V is reaching said circuit.
4) Did this this morning. I did not realize the panel had replaceable cards until I called. They will send me one at a semi-reasonable price.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:17 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Sounds like you have done the right thing and hopefully it will correct the problem. Make sure to let us know the outcome once you get it installed.

Paul
Old 08-17-2020, 06:34 PM   #10

State: Arizona
THOR #14127
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
1) yes put a meter on it before I posted, no juice.
2) connector is firm- no power to pin with connector removed.
3) Did not do this as no 12V is reaching said circuit.
4) Did this this morning. I did not realize the panel had replaceable cards until I called. They will send me one at a semi-reasonable price.
I have a working theory on this one to share. If your Aria is similar to my 2017, then your aisle lighting likely features a string of LEDs in the kitchen area and some incandescent well lights in the bathrooms and master bedroom. Those are fed from a 5 amp micro dimmer relay on the G6A panel. Also, if you are like me, you probably keep the aisle lights on often (at night etc.). I bet the micro relay burnt out. I say this because of the incandescent well lights. Even though they are small, there are 4 of them...probably drawing 1/2 amp ea. at 12V...add in a string of efficient LEDs and you are probably close to the 5 amp limit of that micro relay. I bet, with use, it simply burnt out. It might be worth replacing the incandescent bulbs with LED ones (which are easy to get on Amazon) to reduce the amperage load when the aisle lights are on.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:21 PM   #11

THOR #9660
Update

Although we rarely use the aisle lights, I do like everything to work, so I ordered the replacement card. Installed in about 5 minutes and everything now works. I will keep the old one as a spare as everything worked except the aisle lights. Total cost was just over $90 including shipping. Much more that a fuse in the old systems, but well less that a new G6 panel.
Mike
Old 08-27-2020, 07:41 PM   #12

Model: Aria 3401
State: Arkansas
THOR #12542
Glad to hear that it's working now. I wonder if the failed component (perhaps a relay?) on the bad card could be replaced to give you a fully working spare.

Also, thanks for following up with the solution. It might help someone in the future with the same or similar problem.