Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2017, 03:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Mississippi
THOR #8822
30.3 front cap sweating?

I call myself searching for this but couldn't find anything. We noticed some water dripping today from the area of the inside windshield insulation down to the dash this morning. It wasn't much but any water scares the heck out of me.

It was about 30 degrees here last night and we've had it fairly warm inside. The sun came out in force and is warming things up outside a lot. There is a panel in the center cubby in the front drop down bunk, so I took it out. I couldn't find any source of water and the roof looks to be sealed really well. In that opening, I moved the insulation and could feel moisture on the inside of the fiberglass cap (I call it the eyebrow because, well, it looks like one). Could that just be from sweat? Right now, I'm just keeping an eye on it and seeing if it does it again.

We've been through a few really heavy rainstorms and had zero leaks, so I'm thinking that is it. Paranoia gets the best of me sometimes, though.

Thanks for anything thoughts or suggestions or experiences with this!

** edit **
When I pulled the cover off of the access panel, it was very cool inside that area where the insulation is (inside the eyebrow). I'm pretty sure it's just sweat but ... yeah, just worried. This thing has to last us a long time! LOL

Old 10-29-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
er by "sweat" you mean condensation?

An RV is a pretty small enclosed space, just one or two people living in it for any length of time can increase the humidity quite a bit. Overnight when the outside gets cold the walls also get cold and you'll get a bunch of condensation everywhere. Try cracking a hatch or even leave an exhaust fan on low (fantastic fan?) with a window cracked to provide some airflow.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:21 PM   #3

THOR #8822
Yeah, condensation. I'm sure that was what it was. It was cold in that space, really warm inside the RV, and the sun was shining on the outside making the surface hot, so .... It's an enclosed space so I'm not sure that opening a window will help but we're going to try warming the RV up slower instead of blasting the heat first thing in the morning (we like it cold when we sleep).
Old 10-30-2017, 12:19 AM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
I was out this weekend. Got to about 31 Friday night and 27 last night. Broke camp around 3:00 and started driving and a few minutes down the road I noticed water on the dash near the computer desk. Wife looked and the passenger window was wet all the way to the top.

Looks like I had the same thing, condensation forming inside the cap.

I plan to use it more this winter, so not real happy about this, since I don't want mold to form from this condensate dripping behind things.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:32 AM   #5

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkurts View Post
Yeah, condensation. I'm sure that was what it was. It was cold in that space, really warm inside the RV, and the sun was shining on the outside making the surface hot, so .... It's an enclosed space so I'm not sure that opening a window will help but we're going to try warming the RV up slower instead of blasting the heat first thing in the morning (we like it cold when we sleep).
You may want to consider a dehumidifier. They work wonders for such as this.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:49 AM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: a dehumidifier should do the trick... if that's the problem!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
THOR #121
I use a product called Damprid you open it up and it takes the water out of the air keeps our window free of moisture
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #8

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
I use a product called Damprid you open it up and it takes the water out of the air keeps our window free of moisture
I'm going to give this a shot. Also, I'll admit I haven't been running the vent while showing.

I read some suggestions on here and IRV2 about not only leaving vents open/running while showering, but on cold nights even leaving the vent cracked (not running) all the time, so the warmer/moister air can escape.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:47 AM   #9

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Condensation in Cap

We had the same issue, and it was caused by the air in the cap condensing from the rapid cool off from the heat of the day. We had no insulation in the cap, and Thor paid for it to be done under warranty. Lots of insulation was added, and the airspace was packed. I have not had a problem since--which is good as the cap is an inaccessible space. If you have insulation, you may need to pack the cap like mine is. Look for some old threads on this. Problem is the cap. A dehumidifier will not help here.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:07 PM   #10

THOR #8822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
We had the same issue, and it was caused by the air in the cap condensing from the rapid cool off from the heat of the day. We had no insulation in the cap, and Thor paid for it to be done under warranty. Lots of insulation was added, and the airspace was packed. I have not had a problem since--which is good as the cap is an inaccessible space. If you have insulation, you may need to pack the cap like mine is. Look for some old threads on this. Problem is the cap. A dehumidifier will not help here.
Thanks. There is some insulation in there but not a lot. I'm going to contact Thor to see about getting more added. Seems like they would do that from the factory since it is supposed to be cold weather ready... Then again, it seems like they would do a lot of things from the factory!