Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2021, 01:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #22044
Angry First trip in our thor hurricane

Went on our first trip today just 68 miles away to do some hiking.....we purchased a 2017 thor hurricane with 17k miles on it....beautiful condition inside and out......we bought it at an RV show in scottsdale az, picked it up a week later while they cleaned it up and that was the first available date we could pick it up. Like I said took our first trip today and when we parked I went to use the auto levelers, started the engine, made sure emergency break was on...just like told in the orientation, where the levelers worked fine....BUT NOW, they would not even turn on. The message on the leveling system says "error return levelers for service" and "retracters timeout"....none of the buttons work on the leveler panel. This is our first RV and I am beginning to think I made a $100,000 mistake. I bought every extended warranty they offered me so I am hoping I am covered.....just cannot believe that the levelers did not work the first time we tried to use them. We had friends with us and I was very embarrassed that something I just spent this much money on did not work when I tried to use the levelers.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:32 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Monday someone at the vendor will, in a friendly fashion, tell you how to reset it.
But
There's a very good, to extremely good, chance it's operator error.

Levelers are a nicety and not a necessity.
Your embarrassment is unwarranted.
And
It's very bad form to extend your levelers in someones parking lot or groomed area. That's an rv park, boonbdocking, home, thing.

Or
Sell it.

It will never be worth more than it is today.
This is such a minor thing....
If you want instruction from us just ask.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:39 AM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Sorry to see that you had a problem on your first outing...
But welcome to the forum anyway.

These things are all easily addressed...
Old 02-14-2021, 01:57 AM   #4

THOR #22044
we were in a state park and I asked before if slides could be extended and levelers put down in the RV parking areas. So, this could just be a resetting thing.....it's not operator error as I followed the instructions precisely from the video we shot while going through the orientation...it simply will not turn on when I hit the on/off button on the leveler panel.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:58 AM   #5

THOR #22044
Thank you Sir!
Old 02-14-2021, 02:07 AM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Are you sure that your coach batteries are full charged? The levelers draw a lot of power, and get "cranky", when they don't get what they need
Old 02-14-2021, 02:26 AM   #7

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Hmmm... Check that the "Salesman" switch is turned to On....should be located by the front door...
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:06 AM   #8

THOR #22044
Yes Sir Bob, they show that they are.....thank you for trying to help a Retired USMC Veteran....I appreciate your comments...some people just want to make jokes that are just no help. If I wanted jokes I would go to a comedy club....this is VERY frustrating and my wife is totally beside herself because she was the one who wanted the RV the most and now she thinks we got a lemon because something did not work the first time we tried it. I did buy a 6 year extended warranty on the coach, 5 years on the chassis, 5 years on the tires too so I am hoping when I call them on Monday that this is covered. We have a trip planned in 2 weeks and while I know that levelers are not a necessity, they are nice to have to stabilize the coach when parked with the slide out.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:09 AM   #9

THOR #22044
I get a beep when I start the engine Bob and then those two errors I told stated in the initial message.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:13 AM   #10

THOR #22044
Thanks Ducks....so is there a way to reset it myself? I am a Forensics Professor so not very mechanically inclined.....no dummy, but, would rather use a fingerprint brush than a wrench or screwdriver...
Old 02-14-2021, 05:04 AM   #11

THOR #13932
Beau will probably be here in the morning.
He'll likely know the reset sequence.

Slides suck, only too be topped by leveler systems.
It really isn't a big thing and is just the first of many many new systmes and things to learn.

You didn't buy an rv, you bought a new hobby.
Rvchecklist is an app with a great preflight and storage checklist.
Have the wife peruse it. It'll freak her out, or calm her down.

We probably need to know the brand of your levelers so we can give you good direction.
We'll all give it our best shot.
I went to Vegas recently to pick up a failed leveler just so I could disect and find a fix for everyone.
I dont even own levelers....

And
Better 'up' than 'down' if they're gonna mess up.
You got lucky. It could have been so much worse.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:02 PM   #12

Model: Outlaw 38MB
State: Florida
THOR #22093
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlyzbldcj View Post
Went on our first trip today just 68 miles away to do some hiking.....we purchased a 2017 thor hurricane with 17k miles on it....beautiful condition inside and out......we bought it at an RV show in scottsdale az, picked it up a week later while they cleaned it up and that was the first available date we could pick it up. Like I said took our first trip today and when we parked I went to use the auto levelers, started the engine, made sure emergency break was on...just like told in the orientation, where the levelers worked fine....BUT NOW, they would not even turn on. The message on the leveling system says "error return levelers for service" and "retracters timeout"....none of the buttons work on the leveler panel. This is our first RV and I am beginning to think I made a $100,000 mistake. I bought every extended warranty they offered me so I am hoping I am covered.....just cannot believe that the levelers did not work the first time we tried to use them. We had friends with us and I was very embarrassed that something I just spent this much money on did not work when I tried to use the levelers.
Set parking brake and turn on motor.
Try holding down --- enter,retract and auto level simultaneously for ten seconds.
Maybe just needs a system reset.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:05 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlyzbldcj View Post
Yes Sir Bob, they show that they are.....thank you for trying to help a Retired USMC Veteran....I appreciate your comments...some people just want to make jokes that are just no help. If I wanted jokes I would go to a comedy club....this is VERY frustrating and my wife is totally beside herself because she was the one who wanted the RV the most and now she thinks we got a lemon because something did not work the first time we tried it. I did buy a 6 year extended warranty on the coach, 5 years on the chassis, 5 years on the tires too so I am hoping when I call them on Monday that this is covered. We have a trip planned in 2 weeks and while I know that levelers are not a necessity, they are nice to have to stabilize the coach when parked with the slide out.
I'll try to hold my strange sense of humor in check for you.
But if I detonate: it wasn't my fault!
Good luck, and tell your "Best-half" not to worry...
Old 02-14-2021, 03:14 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane29M
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #5338
Give this a try

If your system is a Lippert (LCI) and the two lower buttons on the left side of the control panel are ENTER and RETRACT, push them both at the same time. That resets the controller and cancels the error message.

We have this error message intermittently, and the dealer finally broke down and gave us the secret code. SSSSHHHHHH- don't tell anybody!
Old 02-14-2021, 03:20 PM   #15

THOR #22044
They are the Lippert system with the digital window.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:21 PM   #16

THOR #22044
LOL....not u Bob, you have been super helpful!
Old 02-14-2021, 03:24 PM   #17

THOR #22044
Ducks....while they are in the UP position like they are now....it is common to be able to see them on the bottom of the coach...they are down about 6-8 inches....or should they be all the way up so you can't see them?
Old 02-14-2021, 03:36 PM   #18

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Well you need to take a deep breath and relax. Your levelers are up so you can drive and camp until you get on top of it. Your service contract almost certainly will cover it if resetting it doesn’t do the trick. Actually, in all likelihood this is the first of many ongoing frustrations you will have. RVs are just like that - they almost always need something! It’s part of the lifestyle and facing it with good humor is important to retaining the “recreational” aspect of RV. I’m on a month long snowbird trip (in an ice storm in South Texas!) and my water heater seems to have developed a leak. Argh. I’ll fix it in the spring. Good luck and be sure to “circle back” and let us know what the solution is.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #19

THOR #22044
THANK YOU IT WORKED BEAUTIFULLY...RESET IT COMPLETELY!!! But, when I turn it on now the right front leveler light it blinking. But the system says jacks up and ready so I will take it somewhere today and put the levelers down to see if that goes away. THANK YOU AGAIN!
Old 02-14-2021, 04:31 PM   #20

THOR #13932
My slide has had the
Ground fault 9 blinks code
For two years,
Slide works, I'm not going to mess with it.