Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2020, 02:07 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
State: Utah
THOR #19682
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyfltri View Post
Unable to see any of your pictures. Tried creating a 14 day account and then it couldn't find your page from either link. Hope you had a great time though.

Anyone with that link can view it. Are you on a PC or phone? If phone maybe its the app.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:24 AM   #22

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire View Post
Added a spare tire and mounted under the back tail. I couldn't imagine having a 4x4 and no spare tire!
I thought about a spare tire setup like yours for my SV34 but with the weight and size of the tire, I thought it would be a major pain in the butt getting the tire under and out from the coach. The tire and rim together have to be in the neighborhood of 100lbs.

I opted for the Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier. It's expensive but works great and it is a breeze mounting and unmounting the tire.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #23

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
THOR #15943
Nice rig and nice photos-thanks for sharing!
GVP
Old 09-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #24

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRvs666 View Post

https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/RV-Pics/i-gMQHpqb
https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/RV-Pics/i-TxJp7JZ

A funny thing happened on the way to the Labor Day weekend in the wilds of Utah. I turned into an RV show. On the way out with a fuel stop, and a Walmart grocery stop, I had 5 people stop to talk about the XG32. I had several more drive by and take pictures. They ignored my cool new Rubicon. One person asked to look inside, but I told him my wife was laying down and resting. (White lie) At the State Park, the same thing. And on the way home, just 3 people.

I added an official Ford 4x4 to the back of the coach, and added chrome lettering to the front of the hood's indented "SUPER DUTY".

The SG32 drove well, had tons of power, and was so much easier to deal with than the huge 5th wheel we replaced.

I had a gas class A pass me on the flat, and then I blew by him on a mountain pass, I was doing the speed limit. A good testament to the power of the diesel.
Great looking rig!
Old 09-26-2020, 07:24 PM   #25

Model: Thor Magnitude XG32 4x4,
THOR #19682
Quote:
Congratulations and enjoy. It is a blast to drive.
Stock tires on the beach will be terrible, I put on Toyo M655's for a more aggressive tread. It did take about 500 miles to break the tires in, felt very loose during the break in miles. Now it's back to driving great.
Added a spare tire and mounted under the back tail. I couldn't imagine having a 4x4 and no spare tire!
I'd like to see more detail on your spare tire and carrier. I go out where we are many miles from the nearest tire service center or even hours for a mobile guy to come out.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:29 AM   #26

Model: Omni XG32
State: Massachusetts
THOR #19481
What did you get for a spare? I went to our local ford truck dealership and they told me my F550 has 3 different wheels, front and rear inner and outer. They said that is how it comes from ford nothing to do with Thor. They said I would need to carry 3 spares. This makes no sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I thought about a spare tire setup like yours for my SV34 but with the weight and size of the tire, I thought it would be a major pain in the butt getting the tire under and out from the coach. The tire and rim together have to be in the neighborhood of 100lbs.

I opted for the Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier. It's expensive but works great and it is a breeze mounting and unmounting the tire.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:33 AM   #27

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD0 View Post
What did you get for a spare? I went to our local ford truck dealership and they told me my F550 has 3 different wheels, front and rear inner and outer. They said that is how it comes from ford nothing to do with Thor. They said I would need to carry 3 spares. This makes no sense.
So the Ford dealer was technically correct..... but obviously didn't understand what you were trying to accomplish.

With the XLT or higher trim package, they install a set of premium aluminum wheels for the fronts and outer rear wheels that are visible. The front wheels are cosmetically different than the outer rear wheels. The inner wheel wheel are just cheaper steel wheels since they can't be seen. Hence why your Ford dealer said there were three different wheels.

If you look at the wheel specs for the Super C F-550's all of the wheels are 19.5x6 with the same bolt pattern. If you bought an entry-level F-550 dually, it would just have 6 steel wheels that were identical, like the ones in the attached picture.

I have read too many horror stories of people losing a day or more to get a tire replaced on the road without a spare. In my case, I just wanted a spare tire if I ever had a flat on a trip. I have AAA RV Coverage and don't care what the wheel looks like. I just want to get it changed and on my way and I can deal with getting the tire fixed or replaced on my timetable.

I ordered this wheel to have as my spare:

https://www.roadreadywheels.com/prod...teel-wheel-rim

When I ordered this wheel it was about $130 so the price went up but you can find a lot of good used single steel wheels on eBay.

Now if the inner rear goes flat, life is good because it will look just like that wheel and won't be seen. If a rear outer or front goes flat, I'm going to have a steel wheel visible. It won't look pretty but I will be rolling and at my next stop I can try to have the tire fixed or replaced and then swapped back around if needed.

Make sense?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 6.30.07 AM.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	26762  
Old 10-19-2020, 12:44 PM   #28

State: Massachusetts
THOR #19481
Yes, thanks. The dealer must have thought I was interested in looks more than functionality.
Quote:
So the Ford dealer was technically correct..... but obviously didn't understand what you were trying to accomplish.

With the XLT or higher trim package, they install a set of premium aluminum wheels for the fronts and outer rear wheels that are visible. The front wheels are cosmetically different than the outer rear wheels. The inner wheel wheel are just cheaper steel wheels since they can't be seen. Hence why your Ford dealer said there were three different wheels.

If you look at the wheel specs for the Super C F-550's all of the wheels are 19.5x6 with the same bolt pattern. If you bought an entry-level F-550 dually, it would just have 6 steel wheels that were identical, like the ones in the attached picture.

I have read too many horror stories of people losing a day or more to get a tire replaced on the road without a spare. In my case, I just wanted a spare tire if I ever had a flat on a trip. I have AAA RV Coverage and don't care what the wheel looks like. I just want to get it changed and on my way and I can deal with getting the tire fixed or replaced on my timetable.

When I ordered this wheel it was about $130 so the price went up but you can find a lot of good used single steel wheels on eBay.

Now if the inner rear goes flat, life is good because it will look just like that wheel and won't be seen. If a rear outer or front goes flat, I'm going to have a steel wheel visible. It won't look pretty but I will be rolling and at my next stop I can try to have the tire fixed or replaced and then swapped back around if needed.

Make sense?
Old 10-20-2020, 09:57 AM   #29

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:

Make sense?
If you have to use that spare on the rear outside will the same lug nuts work?
Old 10-20-2020, 10:28 AM   #30

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
If you have to use that spare on the rear outside will the same lug nuts work?
The lug nuts on my F-550 chassis are the same front and rear.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:53 PM   #31

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’m surprised that it has such skinny wheels. The F53 uses 19.5 x 6.5 inch rims.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:17 PM   #32

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I’m surprised that it has such skinny wheels. The F53 uses 19.5 x 6.5 inch rims.

Some of the F-550’s have 19.5 x 8 rims. For whatever reason they have deemed the 19.5 x 6 as appropriate for this size Super C.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:06 PM   #33

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Some of the F-550’s have 19.5 x 8 rims. For whatever reason they have deemed the 19.5 x 6 as appropriate for this size Super C.

Well you’re lucky in that as the 6.5 inch rims are harder to come by and/or cost a lot more.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:57 PM   #34

Model: FourWinds SK 35
State: Virginia
THOR #4706
Would like more information about your spare tire. Looks great. I have Fourwinds 35 sk 2017 and want to add a spare any information would help. Thanks
Old 10-27-2020, 04:14 PM   #35

State: California
THOR #18499
Spare Tire

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't get any notifications that posts were added to this thread?

I bought a steel wheel at Les Schwab $130 and had them mount the new tire. I also bought a spare tire hoist, of course it is currently unavailable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I mounted the tire under the rear of the coach, see pic. Red= new cross support added. Blue is the hoist that I mounted between the two cross supports. Orange dots are two 9/16" all thread roods welded to the cross supports that's used for securing the rim to the RV and taking the weight of the cable and hoist. Green is the angle I have to put the extension into to lower and raise the tire. Since I didn't want to be under the RV forever manually lower/raising the spare, I use a drill (18v impact). I made a two foot long extension out of two 3/16" square steel bars (it was what I had on hand) and added a third at the tip, and did a little grinding, so it would fit the shape of the hoist. I also had to add a few tabs onto the hoist so the wheel carrier, the part you put through the rim, so the the carrier wouldn't slip back through the rim as i was raising it.

I place the spare on the ground under the hoist, put the extension into the hoist. use the drill to raise the tire, I have to jimmy the wheel a little bit to get the hole in the rim to align with the all-thread. Raise it again until it is tight against the frame. Then I put the two washers and nuts on the all-thread and secure the tire to the RV.

It's not something I want to do everyday, hopefully I will never need to use it on the road. But it's there and I can use it if I ever need it. I tend to be on a lot of dirt roads and most services will not go off road.

Tire now has a spare tire!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201027_084745.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	26897  
Old 10-28-2020, 07:11 PM   #36

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
...I put on Toyo M655's for a more aggressive tread...
What size did you put on? I can only find those in 245/70/19.5
Old 10-28-2020, 08:26 PM   #37

THOR #18499
225/70 R19.5

I couldn't find them where I live, I had to go a few hours away where it snows.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:27 PM   #38

THOR #18499
Any size bigger than 225 you will need different rims.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #39

Model: Magnitude XG32
State: Alaska
THOR #18758
Quote:
Any size bigger than 225 you will need different rims.
Everywhere I look says the max size for the 19.5/6 rim is 245/70.
The stock size plus this comes up on most tire sites (I like Tire Rack). Can someone double check me to make sure I’m not smokin something?!
The issues I can see - is there is room for a spacer, if needed, plus wheel well clearance.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:23 PM   #40

THOR #18499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmthrust View Post
Everywhere I look says the max size for the 19.5/6 rim is 245/70.
The stock size plus this comes up on most tire sites (I like Tire Rack). Can someone double check me to make sure I’m not smokin something?!
The issues I can see - is there is room for a spacer, if needed, plus wheel well clearance.
Unfortunately I deleted all my information on the tires and wheel combinations. It was either the duallies wouldn't work with the bigger tires (space between) or the M655 didn't come in a taller size for that rim. I just remember to get an inch taller tire I would have to get different wider rims. Maybe the are making more sizes for the 19.5x6 rim now? Sorry for the confusion.