Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2021, 04:05 PM   #41

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
One other consideration, if one of the 6 volts in series goes bad for some reason, YOU'RE DONE! Can't operate anything on 6 volts.
With 2 12 volts parallel, if one goes bad you still have 12 volts til the bad battery cannabalizes the good battery.

Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:17 PM   #42
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Based on weight and size considerations: I'll upgrade from a pair of FLA 27s; to AGM 31s...
Old 03-03-2021, 02:41 AM   #43

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I just helped my neighbor lift two 12v AGM batteries into his compartment

He said they weighed 114 pounds each and I am sure it was that or more

If you want apples to apples 12v versus 6v you have to go big

For the average person go with available space and what fits best
Old 03-09-2021, 04:37 PM   #44

State: Texas
THOR #794
When upgrading to AGM's do you have to making any changes to the on-board charging system?
Old 03-09-2021, 04:40 PM   #45
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
No...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 05:45 PM   #46

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
When I have replaced my batteries in the different rigs I have had over the years I have to stop and consider what type of RVng we do most of the time. In our case 95% of the time we are on at a minimum an electric hookup. The number of times in a year we are "off grid" doesn't justify the expense of even buying AGM's let alone think of shelling out the coin for lithium. I can pick up a pair of good FLA 12's for a couple hundred bucks. Usually with good maintenance they will last at least 3 years and that works for us.
What works for you? Your mileage may vary
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:17 PM   #47
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Yup!
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1615321017
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floating Your Goat.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	29008  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:16 PM   #48

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
When I have replaced my batteries in the different rigs I have had over the years I have to stop and consider what type of RVng we do most of the time. In our case 95% of the time we are on at a minimum an electric hookup. The number of times in a year we are "off grid" doesn't justify the expense of even buying AGM's let alone think of shelling out the coin for lithium. I can pick up a pair of good FLA 12's for a couple hundred bucks. Usually with good maintenance they will last at least 3 years and that works for us.

X2! I buy them on sale for about $80 apiece and use a flowrite to minimize maintenance. I’ll typically replace them every 3 or 4 years, even if their still going strong, when it’s convenient and the price is fine. Always fresh and strong that way. It would take me about 15 years to match the cost of lithium and I’ll likely be dead before then.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:41 PM   #49

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Talking

Quote:

perfect advice, although many men in the camping world tend to look at battery choices as some type of 'macho' decision, meaning that simply having 'regular' batteries is not enough, although they, too, will never actually 'camp' off-grid or travel enough to ever come close to 'justifying' the difference. Of course, we all can argue, too, what 'justifying' even means. Some folks will drive a Cadillac because, after all, what else is there? Others will drive any vehicle with 4 wheels, because, after all, isn't the job just to get you there? They both ultimately do the same thing.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:10 AM   #50

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Just thinking about what I will do for my first battery replacement when it comes time for my 2016 Thor axis. I never boondog so I’m thinking if I can get one 100 ah lithium battery for around $500 to $600 I may with just go with that.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:15 PM   #51

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Just thinking about what I will do for my first battery replacement when it comes time for my 2016 Thor axis. I never boondog so I’m thinking if I can get one 100 ah lithium battery for around $500 to $600 I may with just go with that.
Interesting
Old 03-10-2021, 07:02 PM   #52

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
perfect advice, although many men in the camping world tend to look at battery choices as some type of 'macho' decision, meaning that simply having 'regular' batteries is not enough, although they, too, will never actually 'camp' off-grid or travel enough to ever come close to 'justifying' the difference. Of course, we all can argue, too, what 'justifying' even means. Some folks will drive a Cadillac because, after all, what else is there? Others will drive any vehicle with 4 wheels, because, after all, isn't the job just to get you there? They both ultimately do the same thing.

Glad you clarified that last point, given you drive a diesel pusher and all.

Agree 100% that so much depends on what’s needed to meet our use. For our first 10 years or longer we only drove from campground to campground, and always with full hookups. It’s difficult to justify much more than the one flooded battery we had.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:15 PM   #53
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
If you NEVER boondock all you need is a SLA battery for about $80.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:41 PM   #54

Model: OUTLAW 37RB
THOR #9685
After the past weekend in the motorhome, the batteries survived the "Big Freeze" and charged up very well. I didn't notice any issues with the batteries at all. I did put a solar battery maintainer on the chassis battery to be able to start it. Thanks for all of your insight and information. This group is awesome!
Old 03-10-2021, 08:53 PM   #55

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
If you NEVER boondock all you need is a SLA battery for about $80.

Depends on how you camp. I used to boondock in a tent with no batteries at all. If all you need to do when you boondock is run a few LED lights in the evening and maybe the water pump you can go a long time on the standard batteries. That’s why so many RVs have propane fridges and water heaters.