Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2015, 08:19 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #1414
You could for sure. The biggest drain is the fridge. I found if we're winter camping (less solar) or in the deep woods with little sun, and don't want to run the generator a lot during the day, we turn off the fridge when we go to bed, and then turn it on when we wake up. The fridge has great insulation- I can turn it off all night and the ice cubes and ice cream are still frozen in the morning. We originally (before the extra batteries) bought several of the plastic ice thingees you put in lunch boxes, and would stick them in the fridge at night, but we found it was unnecessary.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:02 PM   #22

Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Arizona
THOR #3310
I purchased a Chateau 35SK from La Mesa RV in San Diego last August. It is without a doubt the worst RV I've owned (prior Monaco Class A, Bounder Class A and two Jayco 5th wheels). It has constantly been in the shop and I have to return it again this Monday. This time the batteries are always going dead (bad batteries or bad convertor?). We've had huge problems with the Lippert Jacks, improper wiring so that both a/c units wouldn't work at the same time, and many other smaller but irratating faults. Basically, Thor has no quality control at their factories and dumps POS RVs on unsuspecting consumers. La Mesa San Diego did a very poor job of prepping the coach prior to delivery....we had a huge punch list of issues that should have been corrected prior to delivery. I will say that La Mesa Tucson, near where we live, has really tried to fix the numerous issues we've faced with the "Coach from Hell". Thor overall quality is extremely low and they tend to use the cheapest parts available to build the coach. An example was the radio in my 2015 coach....it was actually manufactured by Pioneer in 2011/2012. Pioneer stated that companies like Thor buy all their overstock and obsolete inventory for their RVs. If I was buying a new RV I'd definately avoid Thor.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #23

Model: Four Winds 35SK Super C
State: Missouri
THOR #711
Very pleased with my Four Winds. I'll give it 4out of 5 stars. 4 because I had my share of minor issues as well. Every manufacturer has their "Bad One's". Sadly, lemon's come off of every line. It shouldn't be that way, but I think today's demands for rv's feed some of these lemons. Good luck!
Old 11-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #24

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Dynamax REV 24 RB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfhall View Post
I purchased a Chateau 35SK from La Mesa RV in San Diego last August. It is without a doubt the worst RV I've owned (prior Monaco Class A, Bounder Class A and two Jayco 5th wheels). It has constantly been in the shop and I have to return it again this Monday. This time the batteries are always going dead (bad batteries or bad convertor?). We've had huge problems with the Lippert Jacks, improper wiring so that both a/c units wouldn't work at the same time, and many other smaller but irratating faults. Basically, Thor has no quality control at their factories and dumps POS RVs on unsuspecting consumers. La Mesa San Diego did a very poor job of prepping the coach prior to delivery....we had a huge punch list of issues that should have been corrected prior to delivery. I will say that La Mesa Tucson, near where we live, has really tried to fix the numerous issues we've faced with the "Coach from Hell". Thor overall quality is extremely low and they tend to use the cheapest parts available to build the coach. An example was the radio in my 2015 coach....it was actually manufactured by Pioneer in 2011/2012. Pioneer stated that companies like Thor buy all their overstock and obsolete inventory for their RVs. If I was buying a new RV I'd definately avoid Thor.
Whew, your troubles put things in perspective. Even if most quality control or bad build posts come from the dissatisfied buyers there are still too many instances of junk being sold to the public.

I wonder if a good legally binding clause can be added to a sales agreement to protect buyers. Something short and that is not nit picky but eould force the dealers to fix in a set period of time, refund full purchase price or replace.

That would put pressure on dealers to demand satisfaction from the manufacturers.

If a substantial number of buyers used this clause and were willing to walk away from a deal if dealer refused we might see some positive change in this industry.

Bobby
Old 11-28-2015, 04:34 PM   #25

Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Arizona
THOR #3310
I ran across an interesting site....google this: "Burdge Law Office: How to get rid of your lemon RV". This firm specializes in OHIO, but the issues and Laws are apparently similar in other states.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #26

State: Florida
THOR #3091
Thor Quantum

Have anyone checked out Quantum PD31.. We went looking at Chateau and fell in love with Thor's Quantum. Bought it yesterday. Believe it is new this year..trying to get info on it
Old 11-29-2015, 12:45 AM   #27

Model: Four Winds 35SK Super C
State: Missouri
THOR #711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckwalker View Post
Have anyone checked out Quantum PD31.. We went looking at Chateau and fell in love with Thor's Quantum. Bought it yesterday. Believe it is new this year..trying to get info on it
Congratulations!!! Yeah, I went through the same thing trying to find information on my 35SK when I bought it. Hope the Quantum holds up well. Safe travels.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #28

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Thanks for that. I am hoping the C's are much better than their A's. ....cut......
I don't have personal experience with As, but it makes sense to me that everything else being equal, quality would be superior on Cs (on average). The greater part of the unit is built in a mass-production assembly line, the fewer quality issues there should be with at least that part of the coach.

Reading all the posted reports here, it's clear some problems are much greater. An example is cracked Axis/Vegas windshields. While it involves a small percentage, the numbers are still much higher than expected from Ford windshields.

Another example is poor access to chassis battery. In an E-450 just raise the hood; in an Axis not quite so simple. The hood is also going to open and close better most of the time, etc... Some of the factory wiring under the hood appears better to me also every time I've looked under hoods of comparable Class Cs and As.

Overall I would expect fewer problems from a Class C of similar size, features, and price. Just my expectation -- doesn't make it right.

I'd still prefer to try a Class A next, but for reasons other than quality.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:15 PM   #29
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I don't have personal experience with As, but it makes sense to me that everything else being equal, quality would be superior on Cs (on average). The greater part of the unit is built in a mass-production assembly line, the fewer quality issues there should be with at least that part of the coach.

Reading all the posted reports here, it's clear some problems are much greater. An example is cracked Axis/Vegas windshields. While it involves a small percentage, the numbers are still much higher than expected from Ford windshields.

Another example is poor access to chassis battery. In an E-450 just raise the hood; in an Axis not quite so simple. The hood is also going to open and close better most of the time, etc... Some of the factory wiring under the hood appears better to me also every time I've looked under hoods of comparable Class Cs and As.

Overall I would expect fewer problems from a Class C of similar size, features, and price. Just my expectation -- doesn't make it right.

I'd still prefer to try a Class A next, but for reasons other than quality.
Axis/Vegas windshields are not produced by Ford.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:37 PM   #30

State: Oregon
THOR #3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruslymike View Post
Right now, we are comparing two similar units - 2015 Super C Chateau 33w and 2016 Four Winds 31w.

Both are new units, pricing is just $20,000 difference to have the diesel. I'm trying to decide if the Ford V-10 will have enough power or if I should go for the diesel which is both quieter and has less internal storage.

Any owners of either units that can give suggestions?
Diesel any day of the week if your going to use it a lot. More power and a downhill Jake brake comes in really handy.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:04 PM   #31

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Axis/Vegas windshields are not produced by Ford.
"An example is cracked Axis/Vegas windshields. While it involves a small percentage (of Axis/Vegas), the numbers are still much higher than expected from Ford windshields (used on E-450 Class Cs)."

Sorry it wasn't clearer, but I thought my intended meaning was obvious -- particularly in the context of my reply.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:28 PM   #32

Model: Chateau 31w
THOR #1556
Yes they make 3 floor plans, WS31 which is exact copy of Chateau or Four Winds 31W. When compared the only differences I see are the use of a more upscale wood on the cabinets, dream dinette covered in leatherette, microwave now is stainless steel and the front cap has built in skylight with shade. All capacities and options seem to be the same. The light leatherette and dark glossy wood give it a nice upscale look.
RVI Brake2
RMS31W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:55 AM   #33

State: Florida
THOR #3091
Thanks for the input!

Any issues with yours?
Old 11-30-2015, 06:41 PM   #34

Model: Chateau 31w