Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #16883
Four Winds - Real electric heated tanks?

Does anyone know know if the heated holding tanks on a 2001 Four Winds are truly electric, and sufficient for winter camping?

I have 2 switches (grey and black tank) with indicator lights, so something is electric I would think.

I have the manual and thought I could find some valuable information about the heated tanks in them, I do not think so. Pretty much generic talk.

I contacted Thor several times but have not heard back from them yet.

I usually have the tanks filled with a few gallon of antifreeze, and dump/refill them before parking for longer periods of time. But being 'out there' in sub-zero temperatures, I would like to know if they are protected enough, or to what temperature range.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I took pictures just yesterday.
It might/should/could possibly look like this on the bottom of your tanks.
If these pads aren't there but you have switches, the pads fell off.

I have a set of pads I bought on amazon by searching:
Car seat heater.
Came with four pads and two switches for $17.

They will roast a turkey on the high setting.
Two speeds, all the wiring.
Will work fine on a tank if tank pads are marked up too high.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1013191629.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	20837   Click image for larger version

Name:	1013191628.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	20838  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1013191628a.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	20839  
Old 10-15-2019, 06:05 PM   #3

THOR #16883
I guess I never thought that a manufacturer would use pads like the aftermarket ones. I guess I thought they had a more 'sophisticated' setup, like a heater built in or something like that.

I will crawl underneath here in a bit and check to see if and what I have.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Hmmm....some folks cook meals in a crockpot while rolling down the highway...cooking a turkey in the black tank at 70MPH is an awesome idea!! What does it taste like? DON'T ANSWER THAT!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:13 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Hmmm....some folks cook meals in a crockpot while rolling down the highway...cooking a turkey in the black tank at 70MPH is an awesome idea!! What does it taste like? DON'T ANSWER THAT!!
I'll set 'em up, you knock' em down!
(mom? Dthith turkey tathtes like sthit!)
Old 10-15-2019, 06:51 PM   #6

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
My 2017 FW 24F has switches for both the black and gray tank heaters. The wiring was dangling below the tanks and not hooked up - they were an option the dealer in SC didn’t order. I ordered the heating pads from eTrailer. Same brand as in the pictures above. They were easy enough to attach to the tanks.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #7

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Heating the black and grey tank is one thing but if you are well below freezing temps, you better not plan on using your fresh water system. You’re going to need to use gallon jugs.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:04 PM   #8

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV20192 View Post
Does anyone know know if the heated holding tanks on a 2001 Four Winds are truly electric, and sufficient for winter camping?

I have 2 switches (grey and black tank) with indicator lights, so something is electric I would think.

I have the manual and thought I could find some valuable information about the heated tanks in them, I do not think so. Pretty much generic talk.

I contacted Thor several times but have not heard back from them yet.

I usually have the tanks filled with a few gallon of antifreeze, and dump/refill them before parking for longer periods of time. But being 'out there' in sub-zero temperatures, I would like to know if they are protected enough, or to what temperature range.
Sencers and pads are 12 volts.

Good luck with the sub-zero temps.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:47 AM   #9

THOR #16883
Well, I did my part and crawled underneath, had to take some covers of, but yes, there are tank pads attached.

I then had some coffee, got bored and called Thor. Was able to talk to a very nice technician right away (!), he looked something up and confirmed that it had heated tank pads. Should have tried that before writing them.

But he advise me that they might not work anymore after 18 years, and it all might cause problems once temperatures go below 20.

So I will turn them on once cold enough and check if they get warm. If not, and power is present, it should not be too bad to remove them and swap with new ones.

We usually only use the holding tanks when on the road and nothing else is available. In campgrounds, if no or unacceptable facilities are available, we use a heated fresh water hose and a incandescent light bulb in the water heater compartment, to prevent it from freezing.

Worked so far. If anyone has other ideas/tips, let me know, would like to hear what others do.

Thank you all for your input.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:06 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I suspect the primary reason why the may notwork after all these years is bad connections. I can't imagine the heating element that has probably never been used being much of a problem.... although now that I'm typing this, there is also a thermostat contoll in them. That might get stuck i suppose.
anyway, I just know the wiring to my heating pads looks very amateurish...much like the tank level wiring....and I know that has gotten glitchy on mine form rusted connection points.

Tank heaters weren't a must when I was shopping, but I strongly wanted them. I had no idea about there usefulness, but I knew we were planning a christmas trip to areas that could drop below freezing overnight. Never really needed them, and to date I've never used them.

Now that I have experience with things, I'm not so sure they are needed for just dipping below freezing a bit. So what if the black or grey tanks get a little solid...as long as it's not a time when I need to dump.....or they are so full they have no expansion space. The only thing that seems at risk to me is the drain pipe and valves....

and regarding those pipes and valves, if you are going where you seriously need tank heat, the same company sells pads purpose made to wrap the pipes and valves. I'd seriously look into adding those.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:07 PM   #11
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post

Now that I have experience with things, I'm not so sure they are needed for just dipping below freezing a bit. So what if the black or grey tanks get a little solid...as long as it's not a time when I need to dump.....or they are so full they have no expansion space. The only thing that seems at risk to me is the drain pipe and valves....

and regarding those pipes and valves, if you are going where you seriously need tank heat, the same company sells pads purpose made to wrap the pipes and valves. I'd seriously look into adding those.

I agree.. the rank itself should be less of an issue with room to expand. It is the drain pipe and dump valves I would be concerned with if subjected to below freezing temps...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #12

THOR #16883
Well, the heating pads are all sealed, so if they don't work after applying power directly to them (to eliminate the possibility of a bad wiring on the RV), there is not much to do but to replace them. At least the are not that expensive.

I want heated pads, night temperatures are in the low 20's, daytime, even if above freezing (32), still lower with the wind chill.

Am not too concerned about the pipes as most are right next to the furnace.

And the valves, well, after the final drain I always put some RV antifreeze in it and let get to the valves.

I never let the holding tanks get anywhere near full, the best I ever reached was half way, and that was an exception.

So I should be good.

Thanks for all your input.