Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2016, 11:56 AM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by danj12 View Post
I have a new 2016 Super C, with two gas tanks 48 and 25. Do you know how many gallons the DEF tank holds. I can't find info anywhere. Also, how often do I have to keep it filled, It would be nice to have a gauge. What do you use for a rule of thumb, fill ups to adding DEF.

Thanks Dan
Dan

The F550 should have a DEF tank that is approximately 5 gallons and should have a low def light on the instrument cluster.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:06 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I have a new 2016 Super C, with two gas tanks 48 and 25. Do you know how many gallons the DEF tank holds. I can't find info anywhere. Also, how often do I have to keep it filled, It would be nice to have a gauge. What do you use for a rule of thumb, fill ups to adding DEF.

Thanks Dan
Dan,

The tank should hold around 5 gallons, you should have a low DEF light on the instrument cluster and you should get around 4500 to 5000 miles on a tank of DEF. Usage depends on how hard you work the vehicle and how much idling time you have.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Nevada
THOR #1450
Response to cab-to-cab over seal issue on 35SK

I did receive a response from the Thor/Four Winds customer service rep. The response is printed below. It looks like the appropriate repair is to access the area below the cab over bed, re-tighten or replace the screws holding the cab over to the cab, and then re-caulk the outside seal. I do not know how to access the area below the cab over bed. Any thoughts?

Good morning Jim,
I apologize for not getting back with you on this. Here is what we use on your coach:
CAULK, G2300MHRV-HAPS FREE, CLR HAPS FREE 2300 CLEAR SEALANT
Thank you,
Brandon Tom
Customer Service

Good morning Mr. Whalen,
The cabover is screwed into the truck cab. I’ve seen some issues where they didn’t use enough screws or some of them didn’t grab properly. You can add in more if it is flexing for you. Unfortunately I don’t have a diagram or drawing that shows that.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Thank you,
Brandon Tom
Customer Service
Old 03-12-2016, 03:51 PM   #24

Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Nevada
THOR #1450
DEF Tank Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Dan,

The tank should hold around 5 gallons, you should have a low DEF light on the instrument cluster and you should get around 4500 to 5000 miles on a tank of DEF. Usage depends on how hard you work the vehicle and how much idling time you have.
Yes, the DEF capacity on my 2014 35 SK is 6 gallons. You will get a dash display warning when you have 500 miles of DEF remaining and yes I get about 1,000 miles per gallon of DEF.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred g View Post
....cut....

The trucking and railroad industry learned a long time ago that diesels are the way to move anything heavy. Why hasn't this been applied exclusively to motorhomes?

Fred
Trucking and railroad, like most any industry, is driven by costs; primarily to lower costs in order to maximize profits.

Diesel engines were historically more expensive to purchase, but lower in cost to operate. So for trucks and trains which operate many hours annually, diesel is the clear winner over long periods of time. Their higher initial cost is saved later in fuel and other costs being lower.

By comparison average motorhomes are not driven as much as commercial trucks. That makes it more difficult to recoup initial cost based on fuel savings.

By the way, if not for higher fuel consumption, gasoline engines could be made much larger with higher power and torque outputs. But how many people would need a 10-liter gasoline engine? Not too many. Yet 15-liter diesels are common in trucks.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:43 AM   #26

State: Illinois
THOR #3773
Thanks for the response to the DEF question. I was not sure how much they put it when I bought it and did not want to run out. Found out they were about two gallon short of full But it looks like I am good now for approx. 6,000 miles.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:26 AM   #27

THOR #3773
Is anybody else bothered that ,the 2015 35SK does not have night vision on the rear camera. Its worthless for backing up at night. I contacted Thor, they said, there are aftermarket cameras available but if I have problems associated with it or the install causes problems, they would not be covered under warranty. Why would they not included it NO. 1 and why would they not let the dealer install one and offer a warrantable solution.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:22 AM   #28

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suite - Dallas
State: Florida
THOR #2074
Do any of the Super C's have a Cummins engine ?
Old 03-18-2016, 12:17 AM   #29

THOR #3773
It has a Ford F550 Power Stroke Turbo Diesel
Old 03-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #30

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrywv View Post
Do any of the Super C's have a Cummins engine ?
Yes, several. Nexus has a super C with a cummins, Jayco has one, and Dynamax has several as well.

KC
Old 03-19-2016, 05:44 AM   #31

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suite - Dallas
State: Florida
THOR #2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCook View Post
Yes, several. Nexus has a super C with a cummins, Jayco has one, and Dynamax has several as well.

KC
I should have added , with the Ram truck chassis
Old 03-19-2016, 04:27 PM   #32

Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: Arizona
THOR #368
Quote:

Thanks Dan
I had a 2014 35SW. You will get a readout on your dash when you have 500 miles to go before it goes into "limp mode". I think the tank is 5 gallons. If you have it topped off on every oil change you will never see the message or have a problem. It is all described in the "Super Duty Diesel Manual". You will never have a problem with that engine or chassis. It is bullet proof and economical to maintain as opposed to other manufacturers. About $100 at your local Ford dealer as opposed to 3 to 4 times that for a Cummings or others. After three years of ownership, I never had an ounce of trouble with the F550. I have since traded up for a Palazzo, but not for any mechanical or reliability issues.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:49 PM   #33

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrywv View Post
I should have added , with the Ram truck chassis
Dynamax has just added one. It was in either MH or FMCA Magazine. (Ram 5500)

KC
Old 03-22-2016, 12:23 AM   #34

THOR #3773
I have about 1,200 miles on my new Super C 35Sk, I notice there is a lot of vibration while driving at 60 mph and above. Not sure if its wind or the firm ride. I don't thinks it's an alignment issue. I drives like a big truck, which is what it is. I was wondering if installing air ride or some other suspension improvement option might improve this issue. Have any of you experienced this issue, or done anything to soften the ride, without affecting the handling, which is great?