Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2017, 03:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Virginia
THOR #9237
Those Who Upsized to a Hurricane or Downsized to a Vegas

I know there are many threads on the differences between the two including: storage, interior space, finishes, chassis, driving manners, but I'm trying to figure out the advantages/disadvantages of going to a Hurricane with larger holding tanks, fuel tank, and LPG tank.

We will be first time RV buyers, two of us, boondocking some but staying in campgrounds more, ~30 feet or less Class A. My biggest concern with a Vegas is boondocking being cut short due to holding tanks being full, no fresh water, running low on fuel, etc. We don't have the experience or knowledge yet to know what would work best and certainly don't want to regret the purchase.

Am I nuts thinking of going to the Hurricane first and not even consider the Vegas anymore? BTW, going to a longer, taller coach is not an issue since she has driven similar vehicles before and I drive a 40ish foot fire truck for a living.

Thanks
Nic

Old 11-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potvinsux View Post
I know there are many threads on the differences between the two including: storage, interior space, finishes, chassis, driving manners, but I'm trying to figure out the advantages/disadvantages of going to a Hurricane with larger holding tanks, fuel tank, and LPG tank.

We will be first time RV buyers, two of us, boondocking some but staying in campgrounds more, ~30 feet or less Class A. My biggest concern with a Vegas is boondocking being cut short due to holding tanks being full, no fresh water, running low on fuel, etc. We don't have the experience or knowledge yet to know what would work best and certainly don't want to regret the purchase.

Am I nuts thinking of going to the Hurricane first and not even consider the Vegas anymore? BTW, going to a longer, taller coach is not an issue since she has driven similar vehicles before and I drive a 40ish foot fire truck for a living.

Thanks
Nic
We don't do any boondock camping but we went looking for our MH we did some research and felt the Vegas was the one for us. Took it out for a test drive really liked it but right before we signed paper looked at the Windsport which is sister to Hurricane and drove off with the Windsport, We like the floor plan much more with the extra room and upgrades

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I agree with Don, we looked at and drove a Vegas first. Wife and I both liked the Vegas until we took the Windsport 29M out for a spin, that was the one!!! We actually downsized from a Tuscany due to a storage problem after we moved, the 29M still gave us the big coach feel in a more compact size. Couldn’t be happier with our coach!!!
Old 11-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We downsized from a 31ft 5th wheel to our Axis (Vegas' twin).

We knew we wanted something smaller and just loved the Axis at a show. Didn't look at anything bigger as we were looking for something about the Axis size.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
We started with a 2016 Axis 24.1 and made several trips in it. However, there are 3 of us and the Axis proved too small to comfortably live in for extended periods. We ended up trading in for a 2017 Hurricane 34J (bunk house). We removed the top bunk and turned the enclosed bunk closet a place for our son. We love the master bedroom and king bed! Also, I love a full sized shower! The Axis shower was much too small for me. The extra space makes living in it for weeks at a time light years more enjoyable. As far as driving goes, you don't even notice the extra length when driving. You do notice the added width, but you get used to it quickly. In my experience the Hurricane is much more stable on the road. I had to add a steering stabilizer to Axis to keep it under control. Steering has not been a problem with the Hurricane. The only issues I have with the Hurricane's handling is the sway because of the added length and height (I'll probably do the Cheap Handling Fix to help with that), and parking in parking lots because of the length. Overall, the comfort for living in and driving experience makes it the best choice for us. Even if there were only two of us, I'd not go smaller again.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
My first RV was a 2016 Axis 25.2 and my thought process was to get something a little smaller for all the obvious reasons plus there would only be 2 adults traveling. Well after a year of use I decided The Axis was too small for us. I wanted more outdoor storage, auto leveling and overall more living space. I mover up to a Windsport 31s and cant be more pleased. It checked off all the upgrade boxes I was looking for. The Windsport ended up being 5 feet longer so size was not a deal breaker. A seasoned RVer told me once to buy your 3rd RV the first time. Finding the right coach is a decision only you can make but my advice would be to think long and hard what would be the best rig for you. Plus its much cheaper if you don't have to trade up after a year of ownership. Depreciation is crazy. Good luck
Old 11-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
I have read and heard more stories of people regretting a too small RV purchase than a too large one. Trade up depreciation will eat your lunch. That said our first RV was a 23ft Winnebago 20 years ago in which we traveled with 3 young kids and a large dog. It was tight but we made it work. We were just weekend warriors back then. Fast forward to today and it's just my husband and I and two dogs in a 38ft Challenger. Loving the space, amenities, and storage.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:41 AM   #8

THOR #9237
Really appreciate all the replies! Definitely thinking that the Windsport/Hurricane is going to work best.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:09 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
You know it is different strokes for different folks. We went smaller and are happy for the change.

We went from a 33' Class A with two slides to the Vegas 25.2. Have often stayed 2 or 3 nights on the road without a campground with no a problem with tank capacities. You can limit shower length, and be stingy washing dishes or use throw away stuff.

The shower in the 25.2 is bigger than some of the other floorplans. We rarely stop more than once daily for fuel, keeping the gas tank over 1/4th full, and the LP lasts a long time if we don't run the furnace.

We liked our 33' rig, but have found the Vegas has plenty of storage inside and out, and room enough for the two of us for short or long (2 1/2 month) trips. We wouldn't want a smaller coach or anything with a corner bed.

The smaller tires of the Vegas will be significantly less to replace when they reach the 5 year mark. I like that the slide is relatively light, and there is no power step. Ours drives fine without the Safety Steer.

Best suggestion is that you rent before you buy. It seems expensive, but in a few days you will have a better idea of what works for you. You'll gather opinions from your fellow campers, too. Remember, your results will vary.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:40 AM   #10
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
We had a Vegas 25.2 nice coach for weekends. We upgraded to Windsport 31S and wished we had did it from the start. If you are spending a week camping and it rains a day or two the Vegas can become small. That’s what happened to us. Plus the Windsport has an inverter, solid surface countertops, leveling system, outdoor kitchen, a sofa and dinette. It’s only 6’ longer with two slides there is plenty of indoor space and you won’t feel confined if stuck inside because of weather or you want to have people over. Ultimately It really depends on your long term plans and how much camping you intend to do.
If we bought the Windsport first I would saved money lost trading it in.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:38 AM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
I have yet to hear someone say that their fresh/black/gray tanks were too large when dry camping..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:50 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
We also looked at the Vegas first, but chose a Hurricane 27K.

For me, the biggest "problem" with the Vegas was the bedroom. Yes, you can have a king-sized bed, but it is wall to wall. I'm a few weeks shy of 70, hubby is a year older, and the idea of having to crawl into bed every night was not appealing. Plus you have to stand or kneel on the bed to access the storage areas in the bedroom.

We wanted a king bed, and the "walk around" in the Hurricane fit the bill.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:52 AM   #13

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Kev, I respect your experiences and opinion, and hope you will likewise accept mine. We were stuck inside our Vegas for two windy, rainy days last month, and didn't feel cramped. I like that it is six feet shorter than my previous coach, and we gladly gave up the bigger interior for the smaller exterior. That said, we travel with no pets and have extra people only rarely. If you have extra people often, or two (or three) big dogs, you will likely prefer a bigger coach. We know a lot of people happy with their 40 foot diesels.

Yes, it depends on your plans and how you camp. It also depends on your very personal preferences, and can change with circumstance. Glad you are happy with your Windsport, it obviously fits you well. We have met a lot of folks who have changed their minds about the perfect coach, some after only a short while. And we have met folks who full-time in their Vegas. Our preferences have changed over time. Vive la difference!
Old 11-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #14
DNS

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Ohio
THOR #2222
I believe it wholly depends on your preferences and how you intend to use it.
We are on our third one and loved each one for different reasons. Our first was a 22' Winnebago on a VW Eurovan chassis. Driveability was great but living was cramped.
Second was 33' Coachmen. It has a lot more features and was more comfortable for us.
Now a 38' Challenger. Love just about everything about it. Have to plan stops a little more than with a smaller coach, but haven't been a big deal.
We plan to make more extended trips after I retire in a couple of years, so that was a consideration with the Challenger.
Definitely not a one size fits all. Just try to look at how you plan to use it and the features that are most important to you.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Kev, I respect your experiences and opinion, and hope you will likewise accept mine. We were stuck inside our Vegas for two windy, rainy days last month, and didn't feel cramped. I like that it is six feet shorter than my previous coach, and we gladly gave up the bigger interior for the smaller exterior. That said, we travel with no pets and have extra people only rarely. If you have extra people often, or two (or three) big dogs, you will likely prefer a bigger coach. We know a lot of people happy with their 40 foot diesels.

Yes, it depends on your plans and how you camp. It also depends on your very personal preferences, and can change with circumstance. Glad you are happy with your Windsport, it obviously fits you well. We have met a lot of folks who have changed their minds about the perfect coach, some after only a short while. And we have met folks who full-time in their Vegas. Our preferences have changed over time. Vive la difference!
Exactly. So much depends on personal needs, preferences, and what we feel comfortable with.

Beyond traveling with other people or dogs, I personally think our physical size must also matter to some degree. A 110-pound female probably needs less space to move around than a 280-pound guy.

Our tolerance for tight places is also very different. I've seen people who freaked out visiting inside a submarine, and others who don't like flying because they don't like the feeling of being confined.

I don't need much space, and prefer as little as actually required. When traveling, too much space for me is a burden, not an asset. Plus, if I wanted to feel like I was in a residence, I'd stay home. Not saying we want to tent camp again, but certainly don't need or want a huge motorhome unless we were going to be full timers.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Another perspective on that: Part of the reason we like the small size of the Axis is that "We're camping--we should be outdoors most of the time anyway". Note that that thought may be different between weekend campers vs full-timers (as its your house full-timing).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Agree with most of the comments so far. It does really depend on your personal needs and preferences. Once we decided to full time, we started making a list of "must haves" and "nice to haves" and once we found the Hurricane 35C we checked off EVERY item on our list and at a great price point.

As full timers and frequent boondockers a residential fridge was a must for us. Having an inverter and space for additional batteries was another must. We also wanted a queen bed with more space in the bedroom. Originally, we didn't think we wanted the second half bath but the additional tank space helps plus his and hers baths work for us really well. The other thing we found by renting a Class C and then owning an older Class A was that the TV positioning was a big deal if you didn't want a sore neck from turning your head to watch. We find that the love seats and the big TV (replaced with a 4K Samsung) directly across are very comfortable.

Lots of things to consider and it always comes down to what you will be willing to compromise and what you won't.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #18
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

It definitely depends on personal preferences. Some people require less space. But I know a lot more people that have got into the rv lifestyle and upgraded to larger rv's than go smaller. I wanted to give my perspective so the buyer doesn't take a big hit like I did, due to depreciation, if he decides to go larger and trade it in. Glad you are happy with your Vegas.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:50 PM   #19

THOR #9237
It may sound wierd but the TV location is a priority. I know we will watch movies and local TV so the location is important. A 90° angle will not work...lol
Old 11-09-2017, 12:20 AM   #20
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Yep, 90 degree TV was on our no compromise list.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote