Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2020, 02:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: North Carolina
THOR #19382
Fridge inverter/gas help

Hi All!

I have someone trying to argue with me about our inverter running our fridge while traveling.

We have a full size fridge and it is not connected to propane. When we bought the RV the salesman said when you are going down the road and want the fridge to cool turn the inverter on. Now mind you he has been wrong about several things he told us so I can't rely on his word.

We have two extra batteries under the coach that the inverter is connected to. When dry docking and the batteries run low the generator auto starts to recharge the batteries.

Someone is telling me in another forum that if our fridge is not connected to propane then something is wrong with our setup and it is not the norm. He also seems to think my inverter is connected to my cab batteries.

Is my fridge set-up okay not being a propane fridge or hooked to propane?

Are we right in running the inverter when we travel to keep the fridge cool?

My gut says we are just fine and that is the way it should be.

TIA!!!

Cat

Camping- Where Friends & Marshmallows Get Toasted At The Same Time.
2017 Thor Four Winds - wherever the road takes us!
KrisCatNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:58 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
I could be wrong, but we have friends with a Jayco Travel Trailer that has a full-size residential fridge in it, and I'm pretty sure their fridge runs only on electric... no propane setting. During travel, they have nothing powering the fridge and go from one full hook-up campground to the next. I would think that if they had an inverter and battery banks, they surely would use it like you do yours.
In our Vegas, we do not have an inverter (yet) but our fridge... not a full-size unit... does switch between electric and propane. Everything else, though, runs either with shore electric or generator.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:02 AM   #3

THOR #19382
Calico, hubby just found something and it said because we have a residential fridge is the reason we don't have propane hooked up to it.

The inverter is for the fridge and some other things, if the two extra batteries go low then the generator will start and recharge the batteries (which are brand new) even while driving. So whoever that guy is, electrical engineer or not, he just doesn't know what he is talking about regarding my RV LOL.

Thanks Calico!
Old 07-28-2020, 03:11 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisCatNC View Post
... it said because we have a residential fridge is the reason we don't have propane hooked up to it.
Just what I thought!
Engineers... pshaw...
A young man that called himself an 'engineer' purchased our last home. My atty and realtor were worried about him picking the house apart during inspection because he was an 'engineer'. I delved into his business background and it turned out he installed car stereos and alarm systems.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:41 AM   #5

THOR #19382
"A young man that called himself an 'engineer' purchased our last home. My atty ..."
OMG that is way to funny!!!
Old 07-28-2020, 08:53 AM   #6

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Our residential fridge runs off the inverter when not hooked too shore power and if the generator is not running. When the big motor is running driving down the road, it will keep the batteries charged.
NO propane hooked up too a residential fridge.
Old 07-28-2020, 02:45 PM   #7

THOR #19382
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
NO propane hooked up too a residential fridge.
Thank you!! that is what I thought. So glad you all are here!
Old 07-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #8

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
there are many 'stories' and 'tales' within the RVing world, for the very reasons you just started this post. Some will be very adamant that they 'know' what they are talking about and that YOU 'should listen' to them! Like salespeople at dealerships that have never actually 'camped' themselves, they really only know 'what they've been told', or maybe what they 'THOUGHT they had been told'!
Without first-hand experience, many will tell you things they think is true, but no, a RESIDENTIAL fridge, just like the one in your home, requires nothing more than to be plugged in to an outlet to work.
Now, when in your RV, the 'power' that powers that outlet, for the fridge, can be either SHORE POWER, from the campground or rv park or generator, or an INVERTER.
An Inverter is simply a device that takes 12v power from the BATTERIES and changes it 'UP' to 120v power for your outlets. Simple.

no, you don't need any propane for your fridge.

and, honestly, why people 'argue' with others about how things work is simply crazy.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:08 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 35SK
State: Arizona
THOR #14346
We turn on our inverter about an hour or so before provisioning so it can begin cooling. Ours is residential also meaning it runs on AC 110 power. Propane fridges run on either which is pretty cool. It stays on all the time regardless of if we are driving or camping.

Also you might note... when you are not plugged into shore power, or have generator running, you will have various AC outlets that will not work. This is a feature design to save your inverter.

Cheers
Old 07-28-2020, 10:43 PM   #10

State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Which in the case of our 31W is the outlet behind the drawer under the fridge dedicated to the fridge, the duplex outlet above the drivers head for the main TV, the duplex on the other side in the cabinet for the DVD player (and our laptop that shares the HDMI cable) and behind the bedroom TV. I wish the outlets on the bed side cabinets were on it too since they are perfect for CPAP, phone chargers, etc. We run an extension cord to behind the bedroom TV for DW's CPAP.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote