Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2020, 07:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 33x
State: Virginia
THOR #14214
Fridge not working off of inverter

I have a 2020 Hurricane 33x with a residential refrigerator, it doesn't work when I disconnect from shore power and try to run off of the inverter. The only thing that gets power when using the inverter are the tv's. The breaker that handles the refrigerator is labeled "converter"? Any suggestions?

Old 03-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #2

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
This is a long shot, but when we first got our Aria, some of the appliances were plugged into the wrong outlets, so some things (fireplace, cook top) would work off inverter that weren't supposed to, and some things (outside TV, dinette area TV) did not and were supposed to.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:50 PM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtyler View Post
I have a 2020 Hurricane 33x with a residential refrigerator, it doesn't work when I disconnect from shore power and try to run off of the inverter. The only thing that gets power when using the inverter are the tv's. The breaker that handles the refrigerator is labeled "converter"? Any suggestions?
Check the resets on the inverter. Reset all 120 volt breakers. Off then on.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:51 PM   #4

THOR #14214
I will have to try resetting all the 120v breakers and check. If its plugged into the wrong outlet, that will take some effort to correct as there is no access to the fridge without unbolting and pulling out.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:49 PM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
If its a 2020 you should be able to get the dealer to do it for you.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:46 AM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
most residential RV fridges aren't plugged in 'behind' the fridge, but usually under the sink in the next door bathroom, or a lower cabinet nearby, etc.

also, are your TVs actually 120v type, or are they like my Jensen 12v models that work off of the regular 12v battery power? You may be seeing some things work that actually DON'T work off of the Inverter, and you may find that the Inverter is actually not working at all...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:20 PM   #7

THOR #14214
TurnerFam: All TV's are the factor Axxera brand, so not 12v to my knowledge. I looked under the fridge (small opening, about 3 inch high) and can see the cord but it goes to the back. Guess it's a trip to the dealer (ugh, Camping World is the closest) to see if they can diagnose.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:39 PM   #8

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
TurnerFam: All TV's are the factor Axxera brand, so not 12v to my knowledge. I looked under the fridge (small opening, about 3 inch high) and can see the cord but it goes to the back. Guess it's a trip to the dealer (ugh, Camping World is the closest) to see if they can diagnose.

I have had good luck when I call Thor Custome service. If you get the correct person they will walk you through or give you a few things to look at. I am not handy at all and Thor walked me through. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
X2 on the call to Thor before a trip to Camping World. Is Camping World your selling dealer? I ask because of your comment that they are the closest dealer.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:03 PM   #10

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Schematics

If talking to Thor, also ask for all schematics of the unit. You did not say what you call yer Hurricane.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:00 PM   #11

THOR #14214
Yes Camping World of Manassas is who I purchased from and they are the closest.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:41 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #18375
I have a 2020 Windsport 33X with the same issue. All of the other inverter outlets work. I pulled the wiring schematic off of the Thor owners website and the inverter outlets are #5B in the diagram. I pulled the cover off under the bed to access the electrical connections to see if I would be able trace back the fridge outlet. After looking at the connections, I’m really surprised anything works. I emailed customer support yesterday but have yet to hear back.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:27 AM   #13

THOR #15553
Quote:
Yes Camping World of Manassas is who I purchased from and they are the closest.
Did you check the resets on the inverter????????
Old 03-17-2020, 11:29 AM   #14

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Windsport View Post
I have a 2020 Windsport 33X with the same issue. All of the other inverter outlets work. I pulled the wiring schematic off of the Thor owners website and the inverter outlets are #5B in the diagram. I pulled the cover off under the bed to access the electrical connections to see if I would be able trace back the fridge outlet. After looking at the connections, I’m really surprised anything works. I emailed customer support yesterday but have yet to hear back.

I have found calling Thor CS is more productive than email.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #15

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
I have found calling Thor CS is more productive than email.
Yes. Thor will answer the phone. Very helpful. Best to call your models department. All phone #'s listed on Thor web site.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:55 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
State: Illinois
THOR #18337
I had Factory to some work done to my Montana that required slide removal. After its return on a trip I discovered same issue of Res. REFRIG. NOT powered when off shore power. FACTORY had hooked up 110v power leads in wrong order to the slide. This put the refrig 110v circuit with its Inverter on the TV circuit. I discovered the 110v TV worked fine without shore power.
I see your TV and Refrig. are in the same slide. IF YOU have had slide work done possibly same problem has occurred.
TROUBLE SHOOT, I checked my inverter and it SUPPLIED 110v when off shore power. But refrig. Was not powered. When on shore power with inverter OFF I switched of breakers one at a time to confirm what lost power discovering breaker marked refrig. Shut of TV and slide power breaker shut off Refrig. With inverter on breaker marked refrig. It was time to check wiring once I remembered they had to remove slide. Turns out. (3) 110v circuits had power leads connected incorrectly from markings on wires and the terminal block under the floor.
I certainly do not know your RVs history so some simple trouble shooting may fine your issue. The Inverter has to be wired to same 110v wires as circuit breaker and refrig. The 110V INVERTER POWER. If power lead goes to wrong outlets like TV then refrig. Won't work.
BEST LUCK
Old 03-21-2020, 10:12 PM   #17

THOR #14214
Thanks Pathfinder75... No slide work, brand new RV. Purchased in January and its been parked in the driveway since picking up from the dealer. I've contacted Thor, waiting for a response from them.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:15 PM   #18

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Ohio
THOR #17621
Quote:
happened to me also....make sure the store switch isn't on store....that was my problem...
Old 03-21-2020, 11:14 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Different model but made in the same factory. In my coach the factory inverter output goes to a junction box just behind the inverter. Three circuits emerge from the junction box. One goes forward to the main TV, outside TV and the electronic equipment cabinet above the RV fridge. The second one goes to the bedroom TV and to the outside kitchen fridge. The third one powers duplex receptacles under the bed. Thor plant 750 does not usually put any wiring in the outside walls because of the aluminum tubing braces in the wall. Normally wiring comes out of the floor and into interior wall chase or in a drawer cabinet. Wiring for slides is usually unique to that slide and wired when the slide is built.

Your coach has a wiring harness unique to the 33X, made in the plant 750 wiring shop. All harnesses are plugged into a test board before they are moved to the floor, so you should to find the wire you need near the fridge, unless the circuit is wired incorrectly at the power panel by the workers on the factory floor.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #20

THOR #10036
Doghouse

Quote:
I had to change the settings to higher out put . They were too low.