Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2022, 06:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #20680
Front Axle Hub Cap Removal

Any one have an idea on how to remove the front hubcaps on a Thor Windsport Class A?
Dropped a TPMS sensor behind the Hubcap and need to know which lug nuts are real or fake.

Didn't think to have the service tech tell me last year when I had a blow out how to tell the difference.

2020 Thor Windsport 29M
Retired

Old 04-09-2022, 07:01 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I don't know about the hubcap, but tell us about the blow out.
Some here are scared stiff of one and maybe a first-person story would get them at ease or justify their driving habits...either one or the other.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:17 PM   #3

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
If those are simulators, tap on each fake lug with the wrench. The ones that sound solid are the ones to remove (should only be two - opposite each other).
Old 04-09-2022, 07:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The real ones turn, the fake ones do not.

I think the real ones have dimples on the side but just look where the lug nut contacts the wheel simulator. The fake ones will NOT have an interface separation, the fake ones are continuous with no visible interface.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 04:16 PM   #5

THOR #20680
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I don't know about the hubcap, but tell us about the blow out.
Some here are scared stiff of one and maybe a first-person story would get them at ease or justify their driving habits...either one or the other.
The blowout occurred at the ford dealer while I was having an oil change done. Cant prove it but I suspect the technician caused it. ie adding air to tires. Just had my second oil change done; took the wife with and she wanton to the service desk while i watched the coach. Told the ervicetech to skip airing the tires because I had a TPMS system on them...

Papabill01!
Old 04-11-2022, 04:37 PM   #6

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabill01! View Post
The blowout occurred at the ford dealer while I was having an oil change done. Cant prove it but I suspect the technician caused it. ie adding air to tires. Just had my second oil change done; took the wife with and she wanton to the service desk while i watched the coach. Told the ervicetech to skip airing the tires because I had a TPMS system on them...

Papabill01!
LOL 😂
A blow out while standing still
I guess no need for Safe T Plus steering stabilizer in your case
Old 04-11-2022, 04:53 PM   #7

THOR #20680
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
LOL 😂
A blow out while standing still
I guess no need for Safe T Plus steering stabilizer in your case
True but one is getting installed May 2 along with several other suspension upgrades.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:19 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 32N
State: Arizona
THOR #23246
You need a socket wrench. I forget the size. The simulators with the "dimple" cover bolts that are on the lug nuts and hold the cover on. Put the socket over the simulator and crank. They may be tighter than you expect them to be (mine were).
Old 04-18-2022, 10:34 PM   #9

THOR #20680
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJuice View Post
You need a socket wrench. I forget the size. The simulators with the "dimple" cover bolts that are on the lug nuts and hold the cover on. Put the socket over the simulator and crank. They may be tighter than you expect them to be (mine were).
thanks for the info; the calipers will give me the socket size.... appears to be 19 0r 18 mm.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:33 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabill01! View Post
Any one have an idea on how to remove the front hubcaps on a Thor Windsport Class A?
Dropped a TPMS sensor behind the Hubcap and need to know which lug nuts are real or fake.

Didn't think to have the service tech tell me last year when I had a blow out how to tell the difference.

2020 Thor Windsport 29M
Retired
If you got it new there should be a little wrench in your warranty bag. It's to remove the 3 lug nuts that a fake. Like to others have told you, they have dimples and that's all that holds on the chrome wheel cover. If you don't have the wrench just use the right size socket; Bob Trice
Old 04-23-2022, 08:38 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Iowa
THOR #21540
TPS Sensor

Just have someone be next to the tire while someone else moves slightly forward or backwards until the sensor comes to an opening. I did the same exact thing and cussed a lot.
Old 04-23-2022, 10:21 PM   #12

Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
I realize this is not what the issue was, but - I got RID of my simulators after too many problems and lesser annoyances.

One came loose twice just before entering Canada from Washington state (we were headed for Alaska). The braided metallic air hoses were the only thing holding the simulator on! Found a tire shop where they used some plastic ties to strap the air hoses to the wheel to keep from them flopping on that side.

Had another problem like Papabill01 a few years later - I dropped a front tire's ordinary valve cap that proceeded to disappear inside the simulator.

Down with simulators! Inside under the front simulator was a good-looking Mercedes Benz logo. And it doesn't fall off.

Dan
Old 06-04-2022, 09:52 PM   #13

State: New York
THOR #10644
Can't get SIMULATOR Nuts to budge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJuice View Post
Well, actually, I can get them to turn about a 16th.
Is there a secret to getting the simulator nuts off?
I know that the ones with the little dimples are the real ones.
There are two per rear wheel (235/80R22.5). I've really jammed one of them up TIGHT! Doing the other three carefully, I can get them to move just a crack and no more. I can then go back the other way and get them to crack back. Repeating this process at least a dozen times (with PB Blaster) doesn't seem to gain me any ground. I forced the first one and now it won't move either way. I'm using the special tool and a 16" pipe and I really think if I put anymore on it, something will break - maybe even the weld on the special "T" tool!
Do they really thread off? Counterclockwise?

I believe those nuts are the originals that were on it when I bought the Thor Class-A new in 2016.

Hints?
Old 06-04-2022, 11:27 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmichel View Post
Well, actually, I can get them to turn about a 16th.
Is there a secret to getting the simulator nuts off?
I know that the ones with the little dimples are the real ones.
There are two per rear wheel (235/80R22.5). I've really jammed one of them up TIGHT! Doing the other three carefully, I can get them to move just a crack and no more. I can then go back the other way and get them to crack back. Repeating this process at least a dozen times (with PB Blaster) doesn't seem to gain me any ground. I forced the first one and now it won't move either way. I'm using the special tool and a 16" pipe and I really think if I put anymore on it, something will break - maybe even the weld on the special "T" tool!
Do they really thread off? Counterclockwise?

I believe those nuts are the originals that were on it when I bought the Thor Class-A new in 2016.

Hints?
Not sure about yours but I have a 2018 Thor Windsport 29m with 19.5" wheels and my hubcaps have 3 lugs with dimples and if you have to use a 1/2" socket wrench; it will come off one way or another. It must if you ever want to service that wheel so GO FOR IT!!!! Bob Trice
Old 06-04-2022, 11:52 PM   #15

THOR #10644
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
Not sure about yours but I have a 2018 Thor Windsport 29m with 19.5" wheels and my hubcaps have 3 lugs with dimples and if you have to use a 1/2" socket wrench; it will come off one way or another. It must if you ever want to service that wheel so GO FOR IT!!!! Bob Trice
Oh I have a 1/2" drive breaker bar, but not a socket big enough for the simulator cover. I guess what you're saying is that they are threaded and standard counterclockwise to back 'em off. I just didn't want to go for it and end up stripping the lug or something.. I'll have to caliper the size and order the socket for them I guess..

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2022, 01:03 AM   #16

THOR #10644
Quote:
Oh I have a 1/2" drive breaker bar, but not a socket big enough for the simulator cover. I guess what you're saying is that they are threaded and standard counterclockwise to back 'em off. I just didn't want to go for it and end up stripping the lug or something.. I'll have to caliper the size and order the socket for them I guess..
Thanks!
Well, I went for it. And as expected, the force of the impact wrench split all the thin aluminum covers off the nut insert. But they're off and I can get on with installing the rear sumo springs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	simcovers.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	37921  
Old 06-06-2022, 01:14 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 35m
THOR #13505
Quote:
Well, I went for it. And as expected, the force of the impact wrench split all the thin aluminum covers off the nut insert. But they're off and I can get on with installing the rear sumo springs.

Messing in around in the RV and found the hub nut T wrench in draw, figure I would test out what I read on this form.

Popped lug off with the slits in it, nice an rusty in there! Wonder if yours were rusted shut.

Project this week to take them off and wire brush and lube them all!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220605_200606_resized.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	37922   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220605_200609_resized.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	37923  

Name:	20220605_200600_resized.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	37924  
Old 06-12-2022, 08:30 PM   #18

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
They left out the part about using these pliers to pull (not Screw) the dimpled caps off the hubcap nuts. The non-dimpled caps are part of the hubcap... and cover the lug nuts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pliers.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	38062  
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote