Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2017, 08:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #1448
Vegas automatic transfer switch

We have a 2015 vegas 24.1
Can someone tell me what kind of automatic transfer switch I have? Make & model?

Where it is located would be a major bonus.

As always, thank you for any help.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Have you asked Thor for the electrical diagrams? It probably won't show the make/model of the ATS but will give you a clue to its location.

(I don't know the answer to your question as I haven't gone digging for it; and haven't had any problems that would lead me to such an expedition.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:00 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP6UNyy_VYGDO0BW6L

This is a link to Ed's manual on the Vegas 24.1. On page 54, he says it is under the passenger bed in the 24.1. If I remember correctly, you have to take out the drawers between the bed and it is under the rear of the passenger bed. I have not actually looked for mine, but it's on my list to do. Let us know if you find it.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:06 PM   #4

THOR #1765

This a YouTube on the automatic transfer switch or relay.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #5

THOR #1448
Jamiegeek, I did ask thor for diagrams, didn't get them. But I do have som diagrams from this forum that show a couple of different locations.

Oneilkeys, thanks for the info. I looked through Ed's manual and totally missed that.
I won't be able to look for the ats until we get home from our long trip, but I will definitely post if I find it.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:23 PM   #6

THOR #1448
Found automatic transfer switch right where Ed's manual stated.
While winterizing again saw it next to the fresh water tank, approx 7x7x4".
Progressive Dynamics series 5100
Old 02-26-2017, 02:07 AM   #7

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzfest View Post
Found automatic transfer switch right where Ed's manual stated.
While winterizing again saw it next to the fresh water tank, approx 7x7x4".
Progressive Dynamics series 5100
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:09 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #5711
2017 Thor Vegas Transfer Switch

We are having a problem in that several of our electrical outlets inside the coach, including the microwave, do not have power in battery mode. They do work when the generator is running or if we’re on shore power.

Does anyone know if that would indicate a bad transfer switch? If not, what else might it be? (I have reset the yellow breaker by the house batteries.)

Thx!
Lagrandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagrandd View Post
We are having a problem in that several of our electrical outlets inside the coach, including the microwave, do not have power in battery mode. They do work when the generator is running or if we’re on shore power.

Does anyone know if that would indicate a bad transfer switch? If not, what else might it be? (I have reset the yellow breaker by the house batteries.)

Thx!
Hope I read your post correctly that you don't have power in your electric outlets when not plugged in or when the generator is not running. Sounds like there is nothing wrong. Just the way it was meant to be.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:45 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
No, but I was looking at mine the other day.

Both the Genny and shore line power goes into the box (Auto Transfer) and it has one output the main breaker in the fuse panel.

You could open the box up and check the input of each to confirm power is going in then check the outside.

I purchased a touchless AC power tester (Just touch (or get near) the hot wire on the outer casing) and it can since the current. So its safe for anyone to use.

Just be careful.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:54 PM   #11

THOR #1765
Axis Earl is right. Do not open your transfer switch. The Vegas does not have an inverter. The 120v electrical boxes do not work on battery power. As you describe it, everything is working correctly. If you want 120v electrical power if you are not on shore power or generator, you will have to install an inverter. In the Vegas it is not easy or practical to install an inverter which powers all your electrical outlets. Some of us have installed a small inverter which has its own outlets to power small appliances.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I guess I should have re-read his question before I replied..... Some times my brain assumes what he is saying but its something entirely differnce. Sorry.

Sound like he is talking about an inverter. I agree with what they said above.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:08 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #5711
Thanks for the replies. It was confusing to me because Thor tech support replied to a question I sent to them by email saying it was probably a bad transfer switch. It still seems a little odd to me that some outlets would not have power on battery when in use mode but I’ll take your word for it.
Lagrandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #14

THOR #1765
I just got back and read your post and I want to make sure that you understand that you have two separate electrical systems in your RV. It is not like a house. The 12v electrical system is similar to your car system and runs all your RV interior lights, radio, slides, awning, water pump, front shade and fans. The 12v also runs the fan in your furnace and electrical part of your refrigerator. The propane systems is the other part that powers those two systems as well as your stovetop. When you are plugged into shore power or on your generator the 120v system runs your AC, microwave, TV, electrical side of your hot water heater and all your outlets. These systems will not run on 12v. If your coach has an inverter, it converts 12v to 120v to run some 120v systems, but it takes a lot of battery power. If you are plugged in to shore power or on generator, your converter/charger converts the 120v to 12v to charge your batteries as they continue to provide power to your 12v system. The transfer switch makes all this happen seamlessly.

If you plug a 12v device directly into a 120v socket, it will destroy the 12v device and maybe much worse. The same thing would happen if your 12v system in your RV was connected directly to your 120v system. They must be kept separate and are only connected thru an inverter or converter/charger.