Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2019, 02:06 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Maryland
THOR #12424
So no one has issue with 1500 watt heaters? I have Ace with 30 amp service and we have an electric griddle (https://www.gopresto.com/product/pre...-handles-07061) that says it is 1500 watt and both times we used it it tripped breakers. 1st time it tripped the breaker on the camp pedestal, we had the AC on so I thought it was too much. 2nd time (at different campground) it tripped the main breaker in the camper. Pretty positive this time we turned AC off first. So when we started looking at a heater I was worried about a 1500 watt. Volts/Watts/Amps are not my strong point.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:23 AM   #42
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by sab3864 View Post
So no one has issue with 1500 watt heaters? I have Ace with 30 amp service and we have an electric griddle (https://www.gopresto.com/product/pre...-handles-07061) that says it is 1500 watt and both times we used it it tripped breakers. 1st time it tripped the breaker on the camp pedestal, we had the AC on so I thought it was too much. 2nd time (at different campground) it tripped the main breaker in the camper. Pretty positive this time we turned AC off first. So when we started looking at a heater I was worried about a 1500 watt. Volts/Watts/Amps are not my strong point.
1500 Watts is less than half what a 30 amp 120 VAC RV can use. You would have to be running another large load plus normal loads (Converter, fridge) to have issues.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:27 PM   #43

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
I did try it (them) and can't believe it works so well for so cheap. Excellent value and two of them warmed up a large coach in no time. Actually had to turn them down to low after a couple hours. The reviews are great!! They are small enough you could use them on low in a basement next to holding tanks.
Menards had them on sale for 20 bucks so we got a few for bathrooms and the coach. for the money they are better than the higher priced ones we wore our over the years
Old 01-30-2019, 03:30 PM   #44

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by sab3864 View Post
You really have to be careful on the 30 amp service and the coach configuration finding the sweet spot to be able to use them. Remember that well back in the day. Burned out a few 30 plugs for darn sure in the learning process. Many folks opt to run an extension cord from the 20 amp plug especially for the heater. I think that is your best option. Find a place where you can pig tail it in and then all you have to do is connect from the outside.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:48 AM   #45

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Maryland
THOR #12424
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
You really have to be careful on the 30 amp service and the coach configuration finding the sweet spot to be able to use them. Remember that well back in the day. Burned out a few 30 plugs for darn sure in the learning process. Many folks opt to run an extension cord from the 20 amp plug especially for the heater. I think that is your best option. Find a place where you can pig tail it in and then all you have to do is connect from the outside.
When you say you burnt out a few 30 amp plugs, do you mean the actual outlet, breaker, or plug on the heater?
Old 01-31-2019, 07:42 PM   #46

THOR #6903
Mostly pig tails and a couple plugs

More than one pedestal receptacle also

If you feel the plug whil pulling 30 amps it will probably be warm or hot

This was over many years with 30 amp RV's

Later fried a few adapters in camp grounds without 50 amp pedestals

As all of you know it is very easy to go above 30 amps with multiple draws
Old 01-31-2019, 08:11 PM   #47

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
When hooked up to shore power I use a small electric heater that I bought at Home Depot for $30.00. It does the job. When I first get up in the morning I usually use the furnace to heat the inside up and the electric heater maintains it. It is much cheaper than using the furnace with the propane. My mh is 27 foot with 2 slides (2018 Thor Siesta). Depending on the size of your mh, you might need 2 electric heaters.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:15 PM   #48

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
When hooked up to shore power I use a small electric heater that I bought at Home Depot for $30.00. It does the job. When I first get up in the morning I usually use the furnace to heat the inside up and the electric heater maintains it. It is much cheaper than using the furnace with the propane. My mh is 27 foot with 2 slides (2018 Thor Siesta). Depending on the size of your mh, you might need 2 electric heaters.

I do the same except that after my $30 Chinese heater caught fire I replaced it with a high quality oil filled heater that I can leave on overnight without worry. It won’t keep up on a cold night but I’d rather use CG electric than propane so I use it as much as possible.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:48 PM   #49

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #22435
Will running an electric heater with the coaches system set to circulate the air protect the pipes in freezing weather? My coach is ducted to the wet bay.
Old 08-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #50
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvquest View Post
Will running an electric heater with the coaches system set to circulate the air protect the pipes in freezing weather? My coach is ducted to the wet bay.
Not unless you have a very unusual system that allows you to run the furnace fan without the heat. Usually the "FAN" control on the thermostat is for the A/C which is not ducted to the wet bay; the furnace is ducted to the wet bay.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:57 PM   #51

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #22435
I was wondering about that. What if I turn the furnace on, set the temp to the lowest setting and leave the fan on instead of auto?

I have a 250w space heater I used in the wet bay last year, but if I can have heat flowing down there from above I figured that is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Not unless you have a very unusual system that allows you to run the furnace fan without the heat. Usually the "FAN" control on the thermostat is for the A/C which is not ducted to the wet bay; the furnace is ducted to the wet bay.