Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2022, 11:45 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: California
Posts: 24
THOR #26829
Fuse Block Relay Problem

We are on the road with no dash air! I'm getting intermittent operation from the dash air blower, windshield fans, and mirror adjusters. I'm thinking it's the accessory relay. However, the leveling jacks work fine and come off the same relay/plug in harness. I'm not sure where to look. Freightliner said it's a common auto relay, go to NAPA and get one. I do not want to put my leveling jacks in jeopardy by doing something stupid. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. 2016 Tuscany 42GX. The photo shows the black relay just about in the middle of the fuse board and the plug in accessory harness in the upper right. Thanks, JeffClick image for larger version

Name:	20220730_162135.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	38949

__________________
Jeff & Paula & Cattle Dog Bindi
2016 Tuscany 42GX
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
jwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:08 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
Posts: 717
THOR #9178
I have the same coach and never had any issues so not much help that way

The hydraulic pump does have its own circuit breaker in the compartment on the feed wire

Curious if you're still having the dash issue?

If that relay is supposedly bad, I wouldn't hesitate to plug in a new one
__________________
Never confuse education with intelligence
lwmcguir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 05:33 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
Posts: 118
THOR #5043
I had similar problems with my 2015 Tuscany. There are two of the relays on the board. Both are wave soldered onto the board and you will need a solder pot to remove them due to large solder tabs on the bottom. . Or two or three hot soldering irons. I had a friend who worked for a large electronics company and he borrowed one that I could use. Pots are not too expensive on Ebay maybe $25-40.
__________________
camperguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:01 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: California
Posts: 24
THOR #26829
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
I have the same coach and never had any issues so not much help that way



The hydraulic pump does have its own circuit breaker in the compartment on the feed wire



Curious if you're still having the dash issue?



If that relay is supposedly bad, I wouldn't hesitate to plug in a new one
I pulled the harness plug and there are only seven pins, all seven from the relay. None of the stuff works. The relay light does not light up either.
__________________
Jeff & Paula & Cattle Dog Bindi
2016 Tuscany 42GX
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
jwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:06 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: California
Posts: 24
THOR #26829
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperguy99 View Post
I had similar problems with my 2015 Tuscany. There are two of the relays on the board. Both are wave soldered onto the board and you will need a solder pot to remove them due to large solder tabs on the bottom. . Or two or three hot soldering irons. I had a friend who worked for a large electronics company and he borrowed one that I could use. Pots are not too expensive on Ebay maybe $25-40.
I can't believe the relay is soldered in. Do I have to remove the entire fuse board to get it off? Thor just doesn't make it easy.
__________________
Jeff & Paula & Cattle Dog Bindi
2016 Tuscany 42GX
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
jwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:06 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
OldWEB's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
Posts: 955
THOR #16471
None of the stuff works. That is a broad statement, one that I take meaning the relay is not getting its 12V signal to operate. Have you confirmed the relay is getting voltage or confirmed the contact (there is only one) is not closing? Do you have a schematic or diagram you can share, may be some ideas floating out here.

One jumper temporarily installed could be all it needs to get you going.
__________________
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:12 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
Posts: 717
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalt View Post
I can't believe the relay is soldered in. Do I have to remove the entire fuse board to get it off? Thor just doesn't make it easy.
Curious if yours was soldered in as well. I am not at my shop right now or I would check mine.

Whomever supplied the relay board might have a replacement board but if your still on the road you need a quick fix.

Call Thor and ask for info regarding the relay, and complete board, maybe some hope of getting something overnighted
__________________
Never confuse education with intelligence
lwmcguir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:13 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
Posts: 717
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
None of the stuff works. That is a broad statement, one that I take meaning the relay is not getting its 12V signal to operate. Have you confirmed the relay is getting voltage or confirmed the contact (there is only one) is not closing? Do you have a schematic or diagram you can share, may be some ideas floating out here.

One jumper temporarily installed could be all it needs to get you going.
Good question for the OP, are we sure were getting power to the board?
__________________
Never confuse education with intelligence
lwmcguir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 05:36 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: California
Posts: 24
THOR #26829
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
None of the stuff works. That is a broad statement, one that I take meaning the relay is not getting its 12V signal to operate. Have you confirmed the relay is getting voltage or confirmed the contact (there is only one) is not closing? Do you have a schematic or diagram you can share, may be some ideas floating out here.

One jumper temporarily installed could be all it needs to get you going.
Good point on the power. I need to verify that. Fuse board diagram attached. I'm pretty green at electronic stuff so any advice is welcome. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210707_142652.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	38972
__________________
Jeff & Paula & Cattle Dog Bindi
2016 Tuscany 42GX
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
jwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:24 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
OldWEB's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
Posts: 955
THOR #16471
Now we can guesstimate much better!
So it shows the K1 relay receives power on pin #8 on the J4 accessory plug.

Check that to ground for voltage. Also check the chassis battery terminal lower left for 12V, this ensures there is power to this panel and a good check that the meter works!

BTW, what is it that is 'spose to pick up the relay (apply power to pin #8)? I am guessing that there is no 12V here, cuz you said the LED did not light up either.


EDIT: looking at it some more, "Accessory" would be on when the key is "on" (unit running).
__________________
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 02:16 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: California
Posts: 24
THOR #26829
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Now we can guesstimate much better!
So it shows the K1 relay receives power on pin #8 on the J4 accessory plug.

Check that to ground for voltage. Also check the chassis battery terminal lower left for 12V, this ensures there is power to this panel and a good check that the meter works!

BTW, what is it that is 'spose to pick up the relay (apply power to pin #8)? I am guessing that there is no 12V here, cuz you said the LED did not light up either.


EDIT: looking at it some more, "Accessory" would be on when the key is "on" (unit running).
I'll check those voltages asap. I assume K1 pin 8 would show voltage with the ignition on if all were normal, and that would power the relay. Right?
__________________
Jeff & Paula & Cattle Dog Bindi
2016 Tuscany 42GX
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
jwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 03:22 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: California
Posts: 24
THOR #26829
Update. K1+ coil, pin #8, had no voltage with ignition on or off. The chassis battery terminal did have full 12v power supplying the fuse board. I guess I need to check upstream for a problem feeding K1 pin 8.
__________________
Jeff & Paula & Cattle Dog Bindi
2016 Tuscany 42GX
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
jwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:20 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Tuscany 40DX
State: Colorado
Posts: 118
THOR #5043
My problem with the Fuse Board was the relay stuck closed. Left some lights on always. I could tap the relay with the handle end of a screw driver and cure the problem. Yours seems to be stuck in the open position. I'd still give it a tap and see if anything changes. Fix was short lived as it would stick again after being cycled. Like I said before I replaced the relay but need a small solder pot to get the relay out of the board. I did buy two replacement relays and changed both. Think they were a bit more money than the automotive relay due to the high amperage required. About $20 as I recall?

Camperguy99
2015 Tuscany Class A
__________________
camperguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:26 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
OldWEB's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
Posts: 955
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalt View Post
Update. K1+ coil, pin #8, had no voltage with ignition on or off. The chassis battery terminal did have full 12v power supplying the fuse board. I guess I need to check upstream for a problem feeding K1 pin 8.
This was checked with plug J4 inserted, right? Have you found a schematic of the coach wiring?


You could confirm with J5 #4, it should have 12V and pick up the "Ignition" relay below.
__________________
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:07 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: California
Posts: 24
THOR #26829
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperguy99 View Post
My problem with the Fuse Board was the relay stuck closed. Left some lights on always. I could tap the relay with the handle end of a screw driver and cure the problem. Yours seems to be stuck in the open position. I'd still give it a tap and see if anything changes. Fix was short lived as it would stick again after being cycled. Like I said before I replaced the relay but need a small solder pot to get the relay out of the board. I did buy two replacement relays and changed both. Think they were a bit more money than the automotive relay due to the high amperage required. About $20 as I recall?



Camperguy99

2015 Tuscany Class A
Currently on the road. I'll try a tap tap when we land tonight. Thanks for the info.
__________________
Jeff & Paula & Cattle Dog Bindi
2016 Tuscany 42GX
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
jwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 10:10 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: California
Posts: 24
THOR #26829
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
This was checked with plug J4 inserted, right? Have you found a schematic of the coach wiring?


You could confirm with J5 #4, it should have 12V and pick up the "Ignition" relay below.
Currently on the road. I'll check your suggestions asap. Thanks for the continued help.
__________________
Jeff & Paula & Cattle Dog Bindi
2016 Tuscany 42GX
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
jwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:27 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
OldWEB's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
Posts: 955
THOR #16471
So are the items working, intermittent or not at all? And the jacks you say they do work? The wire for the jacks is only fused at 5A so it must be part of the control and not affecting their operation, as you say they still work... odd.
What are you doing for A/C?
__________________
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:39 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: California
Posts: 24
THOR #26829
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
So are the items working, intermittent or not at all? And the jacks you say they do work? The wire for the jacks is only fused at 5A so it must be part of the control and not affecting their operation, as you say they still work... odd.
What are you doing for A/C?
Everything plugged into accessory J4 has not worked at all for several days. Except for the jacks control (5A) and the jacks, which have worked fine. To keep cool, we've been running the generator and roof air which keeps it tolerable. I'll probably try Thor again tomorrow to see if they offer up anything helpful.
__________________
Jeff & Paula & Cattle Dog Bindi
2016 Tuscany 42GX
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
jwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:53 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: California
Posts: 24
THOR #26829
I re-checked the fuse board today. Everything related to J4 and K1 relay still no workie and no voltage. I also tapped the relay a little and didn't hear any clicks or any indication it was doing anything. I also checked J5 pin4, all OK, 12 volts, normal.

The brown wire from J4 pin8 K1 disappears into the wire loom. I need to trace it out and find the transition to the Freightliner wiring. Then up to the ignition switch which is red, blue, green, and yellow wires. And or check continuity or other reasons why there's no voltage at J4 pin8. At least that's how I'm seeing it. Thanks again for the continued help. I certainly appreciate it. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220803_123617.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	39010Click image for larger version

Name:	20220803_123557.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	39011
__________________
Jeff & Paula & Cattle Dog Bindi
2016 Tuscany 42GX
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
jwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 02:34 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
OldWEB's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
Posts: 955
THOR #16471
You need a schematic or wiring diagram or someone that has an idea where the wire is from, beyond my knowledge.
All I can SUGGEST is to bare the two ends of a short piece of wire and jam it into J4 #8 and the other end into the wire of connector J5 #3; That way the wire is fused at 5 amps and if the brown wire circuit is faulty (J4 #8 - grounded) it will only blow a 5A fuse (F28). Jumpering this should pick up relay K1 when the ignition is "on".



This is ONLY a suggestive idea, something I would do (or similar) to keep going down the road. You do need Thors/Freightliners help with a schematic.
__________________
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2