Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2021, 12:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: California
THOR #5809
which fuse, removing radio, opening steering column Thor ACE 2016 30.1

My questions are about:
1. Getting radio (Axxera AV614BH) out of dash;
2. Getting at the wiring in the steering column
3. Which fuse might be feeding the radio (which is also my read and side miror monitor, which is what I actually care about.)

2016 Thor ACE 30.1 (on F531 chassis as they all are)

I've read that I can get good answers from Thor. That wasn't true in the past when I've tried, but perhaps it's changed. But the Thor website is not accepting my logon.

It was working when I parked the rig in my yard (about a year ago.) It was working 8 or 9 months ago, last I knew. It's not working now. No light, no sound, no joy,

I'd check to see if power is getting to it but I can't get it out of the dash. I've removed the trim plate. I didn't get the release keys from the dealer when I bought the rig new, but I've read it can be released lusing butter knives. In fact, I've done it either in this rig or with the prior rig - I can't remember which! I can't tell if I'm getting it released or not. Should it be obvious? Nowhere to grab the radio to pull on it. I think I remember someone saying they got access to behind and push, but I can't find that in forum. How?

I'm a little suspicious of wiring in the steering column because last year I had totally separate issue (slide inoperative) after some work was done in steering column. Took it back to shop and they corrected it but, as I recall (can't verify memory because... it doesn't work) after correction radio worked only with engine turned on whereas it worked any time before that.

It might not even mater which fuse it should be on, because I suspect it's on a different one. But I'd like to check. Don't want to pull out all fuses as the two fuse boses it shouldn't be are hard to get at and the one it should be is just b-a-r-e-l-y possibe to get to.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:04 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The only connection between the slides and the steering column is the ignition interlock which won't allow slide movement if the key is on.
The radio normally has it's own in-line fuses. The cameras will no display if the radio has no power. The radio requires the USE/STORE switch to be in USE to get power if not on SP.
Have you tried resetting the radio with the recessed reset switch in the front?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:47 AM   #3

THOR #5809
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The only connection between the slides and the steering column is the ignition interlock which won't allow slide movement if the key is on.
The radio normally has it's own in-line fuses. The cameras will no display if the radio has no power. The radio requires the USE/STORE switch to be in USE to get power if not on SP.
Have you tried resetting the radio with the recessed reset switch in the front?
Thanks. Yes, I have. That's why I have the questions I have.

I know that the only thing in the steering column to do with the slides is the ingnition interlock. The radio (I think) started working only with the ignition on AFTER the issue with the slides (which was ignition interlock, and was introduced byt the shop when they did other work) was resolved. So if after getting the radio out I determine that no power is getting to it, I can check the next thing.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:06 PM   #4

THOR #5809
Conclusion: Axxera AV614BH is dead. Axxra replacements do not play discs. Bought JVC KK-66BT to replace. Installation in process. (Slow work, lots of splices to make inside dash.) Also adding Serius, in-cab speakers, and aux audio input on dash.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2021, 11:29 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Glad you are getting it worked out
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, radio