Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2020, 05:32 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Siesta 24 SA
State: South Carolina
THOR #13919
I believe what the poster was asking is what can he expect for an average overall. Unfortunately I do not have an Axis of Vega but a 24SA Siesta on a Sprinter chassis. We bought it used in 2014.
It hits the scales at 11040 lbs.
We have put in 121 Tanks of fuel.
We have travelled 32929 miles.
We have used 2153.739 gallons of diesel.
Our average is 15.29 MPG
These are the kind of figures he is looking for, for the Axis and Vegas, not how much it gets going on level ground or uphill or at 60 to 80 MPH on trip going east or west the but average over time.
Sorry but nobody so far has given him an average over time under real time driving on many trips.
Again, sorry, but I think that is what he is looking for;
Harry

Old 06-27-2020, 01:36 AM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Quote:
Originally Posted by galOnTheGo View Post
ditto taylorbob1; we just had our best ever at 11.7, made me smile. usually near 10+-. I have a few thoughts on why, but no real evidence. polish and wax lots, and running premium gas are the only two differences last time out. anyone else running premium? if so, any difference?
A slow, hard to notice, descent to sea level versus a slow, hard to notice climb to 1500ft will have more effect on your mileage than waxing or premium gas. As will wind...
Old 06-27-2020, 01:47 AM   #43

State: Alabama
THOR #15296
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryTh View Post
I believe what the poster was asking is what can he expect for an average overall. Unfortunately I do not have an Axis of Vega but a 24SA Siesta on a Sprinter chassis. We bought it used in 2014.
It hits the scales at 11040 lbs.
We have put in 121 Tanks of fuel.
We have travelled 32929 miles.
We have used 2153.739 gallons of diesel.
Our average is 15.29 MPG
These are the kind of figures he is looking for, for the Axis and Vegas, not how much it gets going on level ground or uphill or at 60 to 80 MPH on trip going east or west the but average over time.
Sorry but nobody so far has given him an average over time under real time driving on many trips.
Again, sorry, but I think that is what he is looking for;
Harry
I’ve not kept as accurate a log as you have simply because it becomes kind of meaningless to quote figures to the second numeral after the decimal point unless you include driving conditions (speed, elevation changes, wind speed and direction, etc.). However, based on a few of my calculations I would say that your 15mpg is pretty accurate for Sprinters. Not sure if we save any money given the premium of diesel over gasoline but I do like the climbing ability of that diesel engine. At any rate if this was about saving money I’d stay home...
Old 06-27-2020, 01:50 AM   #44
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgtx View Post
A slow, hard to notice, descent to sea level versus a slow, hard to notice climb to 1500ft will have more effect on your mileage than waxing or premium gas. As will wind...
Perhaps an incline-ometer would be a useful indicator...
Old 06-28-2020, 04:33 PM   #45

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
Gas Millage

I have the 5 star tuner on my 2015 Axis and get consistent 12 MPG + -. shifting pattern and throttle response much better then stock. Just acquired a Jeep Wrangler to pull, will see but feel thee wont be a heck of a lot of change. also have the K&N Air Filter Upgrade....
Old 06-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #46

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
Why Gas Mileage questions are important...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgtx View Post
At any rate if this was about saving money I’d stay home...
RE: Gas Mileage
1. Travel expense is important to some. 2. Determining if there might be a mechanical issue, reflected in gas mileage, could be important to some. 3. Learning what are reasonable expectations for gas mileage to new RV owners could be important to some. 4. Making your travel dollars go further could be important to some. 5. The quote above and other similar comments that have populated most threads about gas mileage sure sound elitist and get old real fast. The comments add nothing to the content or knowledge gained from the thread.

BY THE WAY:
The improvement of 1 mpg [8+ vs 7 mpg] with my new 2020 Thor compared to my old 2000 Winnegago made enough difference in gas cost on a recent 2500 mile Gulf Coast trip with my teen grandkids that it covered the dinner cost of a meal for six at Memphis BBQ [$120] or at any of four other other nice eateries visited in FL, AL, MS, LA. The difference alternately could have covered the cost of an Alligator Swamp Tour outside of NOLA for all of us, or other attractions. This difference would have been even greater if it weren't for depressed gas prices during the Covid-19 re-opening. This difference described above could be important to some!
Old 06-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #47

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Regarding post a while back ....

The OP got their own answer by post #6. Isn’t that the only one that matters?

Context: OP was looking for information on fuel economy prior to buying the motorhome.

Context: Axis/Vegas fuel economy as a subject has been beaten to death over many years, and enough has been written to keep someone reading for hours. Can anyone really be surprised there’s subject drift beyond objective data suited for a spreadsheet?

Lastly, the majority of data has fuel economy in the 9s, so when a few data points come in at 11 or higher, there has to be more than what’s obvious to cause that much difference. Unless an owner can identify what accounts for 20 to 30% higher fuel economy, what good are the numbers?

Some people want to report data as if created in a vacuum, but how does that help anyone if you can’t tell whether driving conditions apply to your case?
Old 07-04-2020, 06:51 PM   #48

Model: Hurricane 32N
State: California
THOR #17539
2015 Thor Hurricane 32n... about 10, I'm pulling my JK now I'll see what the difference is... does everyone fill the Toad about half? Does it make a huge difference? thanks, Phil n Deb, Santa Clarita, CA
Old 07-05-2020, 07:27 AM   #49

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by philj View Post
2015 Thor Hurricane 32n... about 10, I'm pulling my JK now I'll see what the difference is... does everyone fill the Toad about half? Does it make a huge difference? thanks, Phil n Deb, Santa Clarita, CA
Only if you combine it with everything else. You have a GCVWR that keeps things safe. Know it and try your best to stay within it.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #50

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I am not much concerned about MPG on the Vegas other than as an indicator something may be going wrong. I do this with all stuff we own.

Last fall the SUV the Vegas replaced as primary tow vehicle went from 21 MPG down to 17 MPG on 45 mile trips to town. Same road, same conditions. Rear wheels seemed hotter than fronts. Found rear calipers real tight. Replaced rear calipers, pads and rotors and it is fine. We now alternate between car and SUV as it does sit a lot with retirement.

Essentially whatever the vegas gets is fine with us. Monitoring MPG is just an operational check. I usually dump excess pump premium from racecar into it and see no change in MPG and less tendancy to ping.

We looked at sprinter based units because of better MPG but none had enough GCVW for towing the racecar. At over 18k this has no issue staying with traffic. Merging and passing is no issue. Most of my towing is flat areas so MPG does not vary much.

4 years now and really do not have any complaints. Will be racing next 3 weekends.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:03 PM   #51
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: the gas mileage is only an indicator that all is well and good with the rig (or not! )
If you bought one, and can't afford the fuel mileage: you might have been better off buying a boat instead! (JK!).
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:28 PM   #52

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Really. Axis/Vega have a full frontal area - like pushing a sail down the road. How do the aero's differ? Are the drag coefficients that much different and what causes the class C to be so much inferior in that regard?

A picture’s worth a 1,000 words.

(I love the 2015 oversized tall windshield, no longer available)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7531F35B-846E-4852-9EDE-EA3A57408F87.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	739.1 KB
ID:	24665   Click image for larger version

Name:	7980B2FB-C9E5-4D46-98FC-3C2F48D6B173.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	606.8 KB
ID:	24666  

Old 07-06-2020, 09:25 PM   #53

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
I am not much concerned about MPG on the Vegas other than as an indicator something may be going wrong. I do this with all stuff we own.

Last fall the SUV the Vegas replaced as primary tow vehicle went from 21 MPG down to 17 MPG on 45 mile trips to town. Same road, same conditions. Rear wheels seemed hotter than fronts. Found rear calipers real tight. Replaced rear calipers, pads and rotors and it is fine. We now alternate between car and SUV as it does sit a lot with retirement.

Essentially whatever the vegas gets is fine with us. Monitoring MPG is just an operational check. I usually dump excess pump premium from racecar into it and see no change in MPG and less tendancy to ping.

We looked at sprinter based units because of better MPG but none had enough GCVW for towing the racecar. At over 18k this has no issue staying with traffic. Merging and passing is no issue. Most of my towing is flat areas so MPG does not vary much.

4 years now and really do not have any complaints. Will be racing next 3 weekends.
Well that’s novel Muggs, I didn’t know you could race Vegas’. I wish I had know that when I owned my Vegas or Axis. Sounds like fun!
Old 07-06-2020, 09:56 PM   #54
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
. "What happens in Vegas..."
Or even with them!
Old 07-06-2020, 11:04 PM   #55

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
cut...

It's a numbers game for me, and a performance measurement. I happen to like numbers so I track it religiously, compensate for gen time, make note of terrain, etc.

I track my batteries start time, start volts, end time and end volts. Again, numbers game and performance.

So watch the nimrods come out of the woodwork now to call me a geek...
Old 07-06-2020, 11:15 PM   #56
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You're not a Geek...

But you'll do; until a real one shows up!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:29 AM   #57
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Ahem...I'm the geek around here
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:11 AM   #58

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Ahem...I'm the geek around here
The I must step down.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #59

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Well you can’t spell geek without a double e and that would be me - your geeky electrical engineer (EE) or the mad scientist as the neighbors call me when I’m brewing beer.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #60
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
Well you can’t spell geek without a double e and that would be me - your geeky electrical engineer (EE) or the mad scientist as the neighbors call me when I’m brewing beer.
LOL yup used to say that in college (I've got two of 'em: MSEE here).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote