Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2018, 04:30 PM   #241

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Unhappy Manuals?

Hello, Everyone!
I’m new to this forum, and we recently purchased a 2018 Compass 23TR. Don’t even have possession of it yet (dealer is still working on a few small cosmetic issues), but I’ve been going through the owner’s kit, and am shocked to see how poor the provided documentation is. There are no manuals for the radio, air conditioner/heat pump, furnace, awning, or the battery/tank system monitor!

Of course I went to the Thor website, expecting to find manuals available in PDF format for download, and was surprised to find only the owner’s manual and warranty booklet for the 2017 Compass (not even the 2018 model year).

I then called customer service, and spoke with Jason, who basically said I would have to go to the specific website for each appliance, with model numbers in hand, to search out the manuals on my own. When I tried to suggest that it would be a nice service for Thor owners to have this information available online on the Thor website, it fell on deaf ears. In fact, he seemed downright irritated with me for suggesting it (I’m guessing not the first time he heard this suggestion). He did offer to send me copies of “what they usually send out with the new motor homes”, though he was pretty clear that it would probably be copies of what I already have.

I have to say I am shocked at the lack of support from Thor. My last camper was a Jayco popup which had manuals for EVERYTHING...right down to the smoke detectors!

Does anyone out there know of any other online resources where this information might be found?

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #242

Model: 23 TR
State: Florida
THOR #10954
Outside cover

Thanks Paul. I have been having a tough time getting the correct cover. 3 companies said it would fit but none have been even close. The one you mentined looks very good.

I have the 3M side window tint and 3M front windshield tint(has UV blocker) which makes a really big difference when driving. I have to actually turn down the cab air now!!!
Old 04-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #243
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC54 View Post
Hello, Everyone!
I’m new to this forum, and we recently purchased a 2018 Compass 23TR. Don’t even have possession of it yet (dealer is still working on a few small cosmetic issues), but I’ve been going through the owner’s kit, and am shocked to see how poor the provided documentation is. There are no manuals for the radio, air conditioner/heat pump, furnace, awning, or the battery/tank system monitor!

Of course I went to the Thor website, expecting to find manuals available in PDF format for download, and was surprised to find only the owner’s manual and warranty booklet for the 2017 Compass (not even the 2018 model year).

I then called customer service, and spoke with Jason, who basically said I would have to go to the specific website for each appliance, with model numbers in hand, to search out the manuals on my own. When I tried to suggest that it would be a nice service for Thor owners to have this information available online on the Thor website, it fell on deaf ears. In fact, he seemed downright irritated with me for suggesting it (I’m guessing not the first time he heard this suggestion). He did offer to send me copies of “what they usually send out with the new motor homes”, though he was pretty clear that it would probably be copies of what I already have.

I have to say I am shocked at the lack of support from Thor. My last camper was a Jayco popup which had manuals for EVERYTHING...right down to the smoke detectors!

Does anyone out there know of any other online resources where this information might be found?

Thanks!
While you were talking with him you should have also asked for all the engineering diagrams (plumbing, waste, electrical, wall construction, etc.). They will at least send you those.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:05 PM   #244

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
THOR #9752
Campy -

Thanks for mentioning the 3M windshield tint. I have been thinking about that and have not heard from anyone if it actually helps. As a Florida person, you know window tint is all but mandatory. I have plans to take the Compass in for the side windows and was up in the air about the windshield. Do you remember the coast? Rough estimate is fine.

Paul
Old 04-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #245

THOR #10954
Windsheild tint

Yes, the cost of the windsheild and side for the 3M material/installation was $450. I had the entire cab front and sides done. It has made a really big difference. When i went in I had the cab air on full. After the tint I have had it to the lowest fan setting and it was much hotter when I picked it up. Just got it so haven't had it on the road yet to really tell. So far seems good.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:25 PM   #246

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Campy,

Did you also have the sun roof covered?
Old 04-27-2018, 02:46 PM   #247

THOR #10954
Roof sheild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Campy,

Did you also have the sunroof covered?
I am using a standard sliver looking car front windshield inside cover. it seems to work
Old 04-30-2018, 12:47 AM   #248

Model: Compass 24TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10629
stabilizer jacks on transit?

Hi All,

Has anybody put stabilizer jacks on their transit based compass/gemini yet?

I see the fuse has them from the factory Havent had a good look yet but they look like BAL version ? maybe?

Kevin
Old 04-30-2018, 01:20 AM   #249

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgreene View Post
Hi All,

Has anybody put stabilizer jacks on their transit based compass/gemini yet?

I see the fuse has them from the factory Havent had a good look yet but they look like BAL version ? maybe?

Kevin
Though my Gemini is on the Sprinter chassis, I did add the HWH auto leveling system. HWH makes an add-on kit for the Sprinter, and I would be willing to bet they make one for the Transit chassis too. I highly recommend the HWH system, works flawlessly every time. If you are going to add, I would suggest you consider the full leveling system, rather than stabilizers.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:59 AM   #250

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC54 View Post
Hello, Everyone!

Thanks!
Sorry, there are at least two competing threads here. In a thread I started a couple of weeks ago, I suggested that Thor take an industry lead in solving this problem with a flash drive for each coach, loaded with the specifics and manuals for that particular unit, and not even just that model.
The manuals that come with our autos are real spoilers. A comprehensive printed manual like those would be really bulky and expensive to produce.
While not created for your model or chassis, you might find something useful in this:
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AiYx6DLSeiiP53x246awlGrg8B-I
Old 04-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #251

Model: Compass 24TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Though my Gemini is on the Sprinter chassis, I did add the HWH auto leveling system. HWH makes an add-on kit for the Sprinter, and I would be willing to bet they make one for the Transit chassis too. I highly recommend the HWH system, works flawlessly every time. If you are going to add, I would suggest you consider the full leveling system, rather than stabilizers.
Laco,
Thanks for the reply

HWH doesn't list the transit, only the sprinter chassis. I am looking for something light weight also as the transit doesn't have the gvw that the sprinter does

I find that it leans a bit too much with the slide out.

Kevin
Old 05-01-2018, 01:38 AM   #252

Model: Compass 23TB
State: Virginia
THOR #11030
Talking Compass 23TB First Trip

Arrived at William B. Umstead State Park for four days of dry camping. No electric or water and generators were a no-no. Never the less we had a very comfortable time in the Compass. Our coach batteries did very well with running all systems including the furnace in the mornings.(no fridge used a cooler)
I can talk about all the good things about this RV but us RVers already know about them. But it's those unexpected quirks that pop up that sometimes needs explaining.
Conclusion: We had a Great time with the Compass for our first trip in it.
...... and those things that need explaining:

how to set Jenson clock
black/grey water indicator is way off, both read E after all water was gone.
You see that list was short, the other thing we can figure out.

One last crazy thing. When everything is turned off I look into the tail lights and I can see light. Go outside and look at yours.
Photo shows camp sight and how we get away for parking on the car side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180428_140954.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	10009   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180429_113244.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	10010  

Old 05-01-2018, 01:50 AM   #253

Model: Compass 23TK
State: Indiana
THOR #10919
Quote:
Originally Posted by PupPup View Post
Arrived at William B. Umstead State Park for four days of dry camping. No electric or water and generators were a no-no. Never the less we had a very comfortable time in the Compass. Our coach batteries did very well with running all systems including the furnace in the mornings.(no fridge used a cooler)
I can talk about all the good things about this RV but us RVers already know about them. But it's those unexpected quirks that pop up that sometimes needs explaining.
Conclusion: We had a Great time with the Compass for our first trip in it.
...... and those things that need explaining:

how to set Jenson clock
black/grey water indicator is way off, both read E after all water was gone.
You see that list was short, the other thing we can figure out.

One last crazy thing. When everything is turned off I look into the tail lights and I can see light. Go outside and look at yours.
Photo shows camp sight and how we get away for parking on the car side.
I have just had my 2018 Compass TK home and in the drive way for a few days and I am going through the learning process. As far as the Jensen system goes and other devices, I have been able to find manuals on the particular manufacturers web sight. On the Jensen web sight I found a manual for the JWM6A model that appears to be the same model in my coach. I would tell you how to set the clock, but have not gotten that far yet. I do have a video question which is on my next post.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:57 AM   #254

THOR #10919
Video question

I have the Jensen model JWM6A audio/video system with 2 inside TVs and one outside TV on my 2018 Compass 23TK. I have figured out how to watch DVDs on each of the TVs after inserting a DVD in the Jensen. My question concerns using the TVs with the external antenna on top the coach. Does the antenna go through the Jensen or directly to the TVs in which case I would select the antenna input. I have tried a few things but not picking anything up when I do a channel search on the TV. But that may because I am out of range for antenna reception. FM radio reception seems a little iffy also. I wonder how close you have to be to the TV transmitters to get decent reception from the roof mounted antenna.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:01 AM   #255

Model: Compass 23TB
State: Virginia
THOR #11030
Thanks Dennis123. I tried that manual and it didn't work. also the remote does different things than the button says.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:57 AM   #256

THOR #6701
The Jensen is nothing more than a DVD player as far as the tv is concerned. As for the antenna. You need the press the little button on the coaxial plate inside the cabinet above the fridg. My antenna doesn’t do a very good job either. Then most of us have had to remove the Jensen and unspool the wire that serves as an antenna for better reception
Old 05-01-2018, 03:27 AM   #257

THOR #10919
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
The Jensen is nothing more than a DVD player as far as the tv is concerned. As for the antenna. You need the press the little button on the coaxial plate inside the cabinet above the fridg. My antenna doesn’t do a very good job either. Then most of us have had to remove the Jensen and unspool the wire that serves as an antenna for better reception
Thanks for the tip about the FM antenna. Easy enough to check out. I know the splitter box is located in cabinet above the fridge, but have not checked that out yet. Thanks for answer.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #258

THOR #9606
When you check out the antenna amplifier remember ON for "Over the Air" and OFF when using cable.

The amp being on in the antenna will prevent good cable reception.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:42 AM   #259

THOR #10919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
Thanks for the tip about the FM antenna. Easy enough to check out. I know the splitter box is located in cabinet above the fridge, but have not checked that out yet. Thanks for answer.
So I found the coax plate in the same cabinet that the hdmi splitter is in and hit the button on the coax plate, but still no luck doing a channel scan. Should there be a coax cable going to the coax connector where the button is? Is it possible they forgot to bring the antenna coax into this area? Or am I still missing something else. Set the input on the tv to TV, and selected Air. Then do a channel search. What am I missing? All TVs work fine with DVD but just cannot seem to have any luck with antenna. Only about 40 miles from Chicago so should be able to pick up some stations. In the cabinet above the fridge I have a HDMI splitter with one hdmi input and the 3 outputs, one for each tv. A coax connector with nothing attached with a button, when pressed a light comes on.
Thanks for any comments.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:11 AM   #260

THOR #9606
If your switch is the type with a coax on the front that is for cable or satellite. The cable from the antenna would be connected to the rear of the plate. To see that you would have to unscrew the plate and pull it out a bit to view behind.

Out of curiosity, did you get a green or red light when you pushed the button IN?

You process to get channels sounds right. Seiki TV? Or some other brand?

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall