Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2019, 02:29 AM   #941

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrhugh View Post
RDC54
I’ve had the same thought about the brightness of our bed reading lights. I’m thinking about trying a LED specific dimmer. I have had one or these installed on my home kitchen under cabinet LED strip lighting for five years.
Hugh
Interesting idea, thanks Hugh!

Old 04-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #942

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #11917
Yes it is under warranty, but the dealers seem to be “too busy” to take it on. I am at the point of just paying for the work. Waiting for dealers waste a lot of time off the road. So far the only place I got in were two CWs and the work was not good.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:58 AM   #943

THOR #6701
You are right about those lights. DW refuses to turn mine on when she gets in bed. I am a night time reader but those lights just don’t do the trick. I have been considering an adjustable arm light but haven’t dug into it yet. Sometimes I use a small head lamp. I’ll be watching for recommendations.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:24 AM   #944

THOR #11917
Soon will hit 15,000 miles, I hope!

Today we were cruising at 70/75 mph and the engine reduced the speed to 45 mph. The signal said in essence bad “diesel”. I look in the Ford manual and online and cannot find this warning.

We will be at the Ford Dealer in Santa Fe on Monday.
I stopped 20 minutes before they closed, good guys, but no diesel guys work on Saturday. Their guess it needs a manual reset. I put Def in less than 1k miles.

Any ideas?

The flip side is there are worst places to than New Mexico and Santa Fe.

Thanks
Old 04-28-2019, 02:47 AM   #945

THOR #6701
Most likely it is the exhaust filter trying to do a regeneration (cleaning). Normally it will want you to continue driving. My computer needed a reprogram and I haven't had an issue in the past 12000 miles. Some have had to pay for a manual regeneration, I did not. I believe there have been a recall or two on that since mine was done two years ago.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #946

THOR #11917
Thanks for the insight.
It is irritating when it happens on the freeway with a posted speed of 75 and 2 lanes.

Although mine is 2018 the the dash is the same as the 2019 with the larger screen. I checked for Ford recalls based on the VIN and do not have any.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:10 PM   #947

THOR #6701
good luck tomorrow at the dealership. I have found the Ford truck center near me very easy to work with. And your right. If you have to get stuck somewhere that part of NM would be high on my list of preferences
Old 04-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #948

THOR #11426
Ladder?

Wondering if any of you Gemini/Compass owners take a ladder with you on your travels? I like the idea of being able to get up on the roof if I need to, but the 23TR doesn’t have a ladder, because of the rear slide.

Last summer when we went out west, we took along one of those telescoping ladders (Ohuhu brand, 12.5 ft, from Amazon). Couldn’t fit it into any of the storage compartments, so we put it on the floor in front of the bed during travel, and moved it into the shower or outside when camped. Felt like we were constantly moving that thing around!

Has anyone found a more compact solution?
Old 04-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #949

Model: Gemini TX
State: Ontario
THOR #13247
Hello for the ladder, I take a telescoping ladder, fits very nicely in the passenger storage locker under the kitchen. Bought on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/s?k=telescopi...price-asc-rank
Old 04-30-2019, 03:21 PM   #950

THOR #6701
Ladder

Nope, we don’t carry a ladder. There was a discussion about this a while back and it was mentioned mounting a ladder on the side rear corner. I don’t know if it was ever actually done. If I can find the discussion I’ll post it’s where-a-bouts.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:56 PM   #951

THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkwood View Post
Hello for the ladder, I take a telescoping ladder, fits very nicely in the passenger storage locker under the kitchen. Bought on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/s?k=telescopi...price-asc-rank
thanks, Clarkwood! I’ll have to look at that storage compartment again. I think I had it so full of other stuff, that I never considered it for the ladder
Old 04-30-2019, 03:57 PM   #952

THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Nope, we don’t carry a ladder. There was a discussion about this a while back and it was mentioned mounting a ladder on the side rear corner. I don’t know if it was ever actually done. If I can find the discussion I’ll post it’s where-a-bouts.
That would be great, mountainsam! I searched for “ladder”, but couldn’t find anything relevant to the Compass/Gemini.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:28 PM   #953
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I've seen Jayco 5'ers, that had side-mounted ladders. they folded in; when not in use...
If you could buy one of them and adapt it to your rig?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:14 PM   #954

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC54 View Post
That would be great, mountainsam! I searched for “ladder”, but couldn’t find anything relevant to the Compass/Gemini.
I have searched also and can't find it. It's hidden somewhere in the forum. I am thinking an email to Thor might get some response as to the feasibility of the side mount ladder and maybe a suggestion where the structure would support one. And then possibly Thor wouldn't want any liability issues and never respond.

In the thread I was thinking about someone asked about the possibility of mounting a ladder on the back slide however everyone agreed that was a super bad idea. In that discussion the side ladder idea was introduced. I will keep looking but I would expect there was no resolve to it.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:35 PM   #955

THOR #6701
Found it rcd54

RDC54, here is the thread I was talking about. Theres some great ideas and some not so great ideas. This was last June.

Adding a roof ladder to the side of our rig...
Old 04-30-2019, 10:39 PM   #956
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Please don't forget to take pictures for us!

After all...

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1556663978
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	We Need Pictures.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	17005  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:50 PM   #957

THOR #6701
Old 05-01-2019, 02:56 PM   #958

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC54 View Post
Wondering if any of you Gemini/Compass owners take a ladder with you on your travels? I like the idea of being able to get up on the roof if I need to, but the 23TR doesn’t have a ladder, because of the rear slide.

Last summer when we went out west, we took along one of those telescoping ladders (Ohuhu brand, 12.5 ft, from Amazon). Couldn’t fit it into any of the storage compartments, so we put it on the floor in front of the bed during travel, and moved it into the shower or outside when camped. Felt like we were constantly moving that thing around!

Has anyone found a more compact solution?
We also have a 12.5 telescoping ladder we plan to travel with. Our current idea is to place it along the side of the bedroom and stow it appropriately (method to be determined but should not be a problem). It will be flat to the wall, out of the way of the slide and us. At least that is the idea!

Paul
Old 05-01-2019, 03:50 PM   #959

THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
RDC54, here is the thread I was talking about. Theres some great ideas and some not so great ideas. This was last June.

Adding a roof ladder to the side of our rig...
Thanks, mountainsam! I read through the thread, and found it entertaining and informative. Not sure I trust the structural integrity of the Compass enough to hang a ladder on the side...plus concerned that it would then exceed the legally allowable width of the vehicle.

So for now, I think I’m looking at a telescoping ladder...just not sure I got the right one. I purchased an Ohuhu brand (based on recommendations of a full time van dweller on YouTube), and it looked good on paper, but in reality seems too big and heavy. It is 12.5 ft, rated to 330 lb (twice what I would need), and is supposed to weigh 25 pounds, and measure 36X20X4.2 inches.

Just checked it, and it actually weighs 23 pounds (good!), but is 40.5 inches in length, which makes storage a bit of a problem. And (true confession), I have never actually used it! At home I use a regular extension ladder padded with pool noodles to pad it where it rests against the rig.

Has anyone come across a telescoping ladder which is shorter or lighter?

Also, is a 12.5 ft ladder long enough for a 10.5 foot tall RV? According to my (rusty) math calculations, it should be... (figuring the base should be 1 ft out from the surface it rests against for every 4 feet of height to that point), I should still have 1-1.5 ft of ladder above the roof line, which is what I need to feel comfortable getting off and on the ladder.

Greatly appreciate anyone who cares to double check my math or logic!
Old 05-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #960

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
The 12.5 ladder we purchased (with a coupon and discount of course) at Camping World, has a reach of 16' which was important to me to feel safe to get up on the roof of the RV if and when I need to. The ladder measures 30" retracted and weighs 28 lbs. It is a bit hefty but I feel more secure on it than the 10.5' ladder that Camping World also offers. That one is 18.5 lbs and retracts to 28" but should reach at least 14' safely. It just didn't feel safe to me!

Hope this helps.

Paul

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall