Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2017, 09:57 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #9169
Thor Compass miles per gallon

While on our first shakedown trip with our new 2018 Thor Compass 23tr Ford Transit diesel , the mpg gauge showed around 19.6 mpg. I didn't believe it so at the fill up upon returning home the actual calculation showed that we got 20.3 mpg. We expected about 16-17. 20 mpg seems pretty amazing.

Did anyone else get a pleasant surprise like us?

Old 11-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #82

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhd View Post
While on our first shakedown trip with our new 2018 Thor Compass 23tr Ford Transit diesel , the mpg gauge showed around 19.6 mpg. I didn't believe it so at the fill up upon returning home the actual calculation showed that we got 20.3 mpg. We expected about 16-17. 20 mpg seems pretty amazing.

I get about 15/16 mpg @ 70 mph
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:41 AM   #83

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Laco, could you post a picture of your antenna that the dealer installed. I found one on line but not to sure about it. The dealer cant get me in until mid January to look and see if I have an antenna at which time they would ask Thor for authorization. All meaning I may have it done with two trips to the dealer and several weeks into Spring. Send me a PM if it easier. Thanks, Sam
Will have to take a pic of it, probably this weekend sometime, but its side mounted on the outside above and in front of the entry door right in front of the front of the awning. I was concerned as to how it would look, but it looks like it belongs.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:50 AM   #84

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Thanks Laco, I am thinking of doing this myself or at least have the antenna when I take it in January. Hopefully saving a mouth or two on the install.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:57 AM   #85

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhd View Post

I have hand calculated ours at 15.6 on a recent quick trip to Oregon. Earlier in the summer we put several thousand miles on it on a Midwest trip. We averaged well over 16 on that trip. I run between 65 - 70 unless my mind wanders and it climbs up to 80. Whoa horses.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:17 AM   #86

State: Oregon
THOR #9169
I drove it gently with hi-way speeds about 60 to 65.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #87

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
I couldn't believe the MPG showing on the Transit trip meter when we brought it home from Dallas. Horrible head wind for about 250 miles (15.5 mpg). I purchased a Garmin DriveSmart 51 LMT-S to double check actual trip mileage. After 4000 miles and hand calculating the MPG is 17.6. I don't drive much over 60/65 unless conditions are perfect.
Hugh
Old 11-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #88

THOR #6701
The 3.2 diesel definitely does the job.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #89

THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Laco, could you post a picture of your antenna that the dealer installed. I found one on line but not to sure about it. The dealer cant get me in until mid January to look and see if I have an antenna at which time they would ask Thor for authorization. All meaning I may have it done with two trips to the dealer and several weeks into Spring. Send me a PM if it easier. Thanks, Sam

So here is a pic of the dealer installed 2nd antenna for the Jenson. Sorry its sideways, flip one turns to the right to set it upright..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171112_085908.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	7748  
Old 11-13-2017, 01:14 AM   #90

THOR #6701
That does look good Laco, I think I will look at mounting mine in the same spot.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:44 AM   #91

THOR #5821
Yeah it kind of just blends in. Have now completed all the modifications, or the dealer did, the major things, a second air conditioner, and an HWH hydraulic leveling system. Spent way too much money on all this, but it makes it so much more usable. They also did a final punch list of warrantee items, since as of a week ago, I am officially out of the one year manufactures warrantee. Did some final checking on it today, as far as I can tell, everything is working as it should. Hope it lasts. We will be out in it next week, so will know for sure then. I actually have had pretty good experiences with the dealer, not inexpensive, but they have successfully navigated the warrantee waters with Thor, and they have certainly done a lot of modifications for me.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:11 AM   #92

THOR #7972
I haven’t seen any leveler systems for our Compass/Gemini Ford Transit 350HD chassis. Is yours a custom application?
Old 11-14-2017, 02:29 AM   #93

THOR #5821
My Gemini is on the Mercedes 3500 Sprinter chassis, HWH makes a bolt on kit for that and many other chassis. Its still a pretty intense installation, there were a lot of labor hours. I know the tech at the dealer spent quite a bit of time on the phone with HWH measuring various clearances to be sure the correct kit was shipped. I would bet HWH makes a kit for the Ford Transit chassis too.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #94

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
Rear View Mirror Camera

Anyone our there having any problems with the Rear View Camera not showing in the Rear View Mirror?

It worked fine driving home from dealer and the next day was blank. Power light on mirror is on but no display. Taking back to dealer for other repairs so they will diagnose and repair.

Just wondering if any others are having similar issues.

We absolutely love our Compass 23TR. Can't wait for some campgrounds in Florida to open up so we can try it out. Camping in our back yard is just not the same

Thanks,

Paul
Old 01-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #95

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnlr77 View Post
Anyone our there having any problems with the Rear View Camera not showing in the Rear View Mirror?

It worked fine driving home from dealer and the next day was blank. Power light on mirror is on but no display. Taking back to dealer for other repairs so they will diagnose and repair.

Just wondering if any others are having similar issues.

We absolutely love our Compass 23TR. Can't wait for some campgrounds in Florida to open up so we can try it out. Camping in our back yard is just not the same

Thanks,

Paul

Paul, did you try the remote control for the camera? Possibly it got turned off?

Congrats on the new rig, hope you like it as well as we like ours. We have 10,000 miles on ours now and it is in for what probably is the last warranty service.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #96

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
Thanks for the suggestion - Yes I tried that. Even changed the battery just in case. No luck.Something must have happened to the power to the camera itself.

I read a post in another forum where the coach batteries had to be turned on for the rear view camera to work but that was for an integrated camera with an audio system.

Nevertheless, I will try that once I get home.

In either case, the dealer will fix it and Thor will pay for it.

Just like the numerous other items needing repair on a "Brand New" coach! We still love it though

Paul
Old 01-19-2018, 02:05 AM   #97

THOR #6701
Most have had several isssues to work through but I think when that is all said and done the Compass and Gemini line will give lots of good service for many years to come.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:09 PM   #98

THOR #6701
mud flaps on Gemini/Compass

My 23TR had a mud flap in front of the rear wheels on the right side, none on the left. The mud flap in front of the right side rear tires is completely worn away from rubbing the tires. The dealer says the mud flat in front of the rear wheel on the left side is completely gone. I don't know if it was ever there.

How about it Compass/Gemini owners, do you have mud flaps in front of the rear wheels? If so are there any devices to prevent them from rubbing on the tires at highway speeds?
Old 01-21-2018, 12:05 AM   #99

THOR #7972
Just when out and checked mine & I don’t see anyway to mount them in front of the rear tires. Not sure what good they would be either.
Speaking of mud flaps, the “behind the tire” flaps on my 23TR weren’t properly bolted. Lucky to make it home without losing one. Fixing the mud flaps & tidying up loose wiring hanging under the coach was the first thing I had to do.
Hugh
Old 01-21-2018, 12:59 AM   #100

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrhugh View Post
Just when out and checked mine & I don’t see anyway to mount them in front of the rear tires. Not sure what good they would be either.
Speaking of mud flaps, the “behind the tire” flaps on my 23TR weren’t properly bolted. Lucky to make it home without losing one. Fixing the mud flaps & tidying up loose wiring hanging under the coach was the first thing I had to do.
Hugh
I have not thought of a good reason for the front of the rear wheel mud flaps either unless something under there needs protection from a stay rock like a tank or ?. I should have taken a few pics before sending it in for repair.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall