Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2018, 06:59 PM   #121

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 24TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10629
Did you uses a transfer switch or, just a separate outlet?
I used a manual transfer switch but only on one circuit I haven't ruled out adding more options yet. My inverter is only 1200watts Primary use will be for tv and maybe a tea pot. It didnt make sense to power the whole rig as that would mean a battery upgrade also.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:12 PM   #122

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
On mine, the inverter is wired to select outlets inside, and the TV's, and supporting satellite equipment. I did not include the microwave, as its no big deal to fire up the generator for a few minutes if we need it, when not plugged in. We have done just that several times. The inverter when the coach is plugged in automatically shifts from inverting to simply passing current through, so I leave it on always.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #123

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Washington
THOR #10643
Just joined and saw this post, so I will tell my experience - winterized my 2016 23TR by draining everything and running all the faucets until dry. I did not put in antifreeze, and we had a few days with temperature in the high teens, but 30s and 40s most of the Winter. In the spring, when I added water, the tank-less H/W heater leaked like a sieve. One of the copper tubes inside had burst open. I go a replacement heater on Amazon for $200 less than the repair shop wanted to charged, but I still had to pay them to install it.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:26 AM   #124

THOR #6701
Welcome to the forum dadepfan, Sorry to hear about the WH.

I get my 23TR back from the dealer on Monday and I will be charging up the water system. I drained it up and opened the bypass on the water heater however we havent had a 32 degree night yet. 72 degrees today.

Where have you had 23TR? Gemini or Compass? How do you like it? Have you made any modifications?
Old 02-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #125

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadepfan View Post
Just joined and saw this post, so I will tell my experience - winterized my 2016 23TR by draining everything and running all the faucets until dry. I did not put in antifreeze, and we had a few days with temperature in the high teens, but 30s and 40s most of the Winter. In the spring, when I added water, the tank-less H/W heater leaked like a sieve. One of the copper tubes inside had burst open. I go a replacement heater on Amazon for $200 less than the repair shop wanted to charged, but I still had to pay them to install it.

Welcome dadepfan and thanks for your post! Good to know, I will be sure to add drain the on demand HW heater to my winterizing checklist!
Nancy
Old 02-05-2018, 09:29 PM   #126

THOR #6701
nmcmilla,

Here are a couple shots of the mud flaps my dealer installed on warranty. Just got it back this morning. I am very pleased with the job. Everything is covered up and secure. Sorry for the orientation of the pics. Sam

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1517865615

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1517865615
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1406.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	8890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1407.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	8891  

Old 02-05-2018, 11:09 PM   #127

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
nmcmilla,

Here are a couple shots of the mud flaps my dealer installed on warranty. Just got it back this morning. I am very pleased with the job. Everything is covered up and secure. Sorry for the orientation of the pics. Sam
Looks good... so the dealer put one on both sides in front of the rear wheels?
Better than new;-)
Old 02-05-2018, 11:33 PM   #128

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
Looks good... so the dealer put one on both sides in front of the rear wheels?
Better than new;-)
Yes, both side
Old 02-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #129

THOR #10643
Unhappy Various Problems With My 2016 Gemini 23TR

Hi again! I posted above about winterizing the on-demand water heater. I've browsed through this thread and thought I would list the problems, big and small, I've had on my coach. Keep in mind that, although my 2016 23TR is out of warranty, it still has less than 7K miles on it!
  • Bad valve on water heater, replaced by manufacturer
  • Mirror bracket fell off the windshield
  • One window awning in the bedroom fell off
  • Both USB stations died and had to be replaced
  • Wide tape over wiring harness under the bedroom fell off
  • One corner of the skylight shroud came unattached
  • Refrig door panel warped, and I had to re-glue
  • Three different slats under the bed matress broke in the center and had to be replaced
  • Ford had recall on the Transit engine fuel injection pump
  • Prongs on the dump cap broke, had to be replaced

These were all annoying, and in some cases cost me a little money, but the biggest problem I have had was with the awning. On a dirt road going to a campground, I brushed some overhanging tree branches on the passenger side. I was going very slow and barely heard the branches. When we got to the campground, I looked at the awning, and the large black plastic cap at the front was missing, and the one at the back was sticking straight out instead of covering the end of the awning. I put the back cap back in place, but the awning would not extend more than a few inches. So I left it alone.

On the way out from the campground, I found the other awning cap, and when I got home, I tried to put it back on, but I was unable to do this. The awning would still not extend more than a few inches, so I tried to unroll it manually while my wife was pressing the extend switch. This worked for a few inches, but then the entire awning promptly collapsed into several pieces! The metal areas under these end caps look like pot metal and do not seem very strong at all. I ended up having my insurance replace the entire awning ($500 deductible). More recently I noticed the front cap of the new awning was missing again, and I do not remember brushing any tree limbs this time (I am VERY careful of that since the first incident!). So I had the cap replaced again.

Also, this new awning seems to be more tilted (helps with water runoff?) than the original one was - it is quite noticeable.

Anyone else have problems with these delicate awnings?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-20-2018, 01:02 AM   #130

Model: Compass 24TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #10629
compass TB roof supports

funny thing with snow. Visual of roof supports

thought this was interesting and usefull also

kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compass tb roof.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	9104  
Old 02-20-2018, 01:14 AM   #131

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
Dave,
Although your experience is unfortunate it’s not uncommon. I personally have had about the same number of items that needed attention on my 2017 Compass 23TR. 90% of my problems have been quality control issues at assembly. Fortunately I have been able to correct everything myself. Someone here said “the only thing that works in an RV is the owner”. LOL
Although it might not sound like it, I really like our Compass. It’s built to a price point in a competitive market and it shows.

The awning is on you though. The coach weighs about 10,000 lbs, there’s not an awing made that will survive a tree encounter. The plastic end caps are flimsy. I had to replace the rear one on mine but it was my fault.

One thing I’ve discovered is the customer support of Thor and their suppliers has been great.

Hugh
Old 02-20-2018, 02:09 AM   #132

THOR #10643
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrhugh View Post
Dave,
Although your experience is unfortunate it’s not uncommon. I personally have had about the same number of items that needed attention on my 2017 Compass 23TR. 90% of my problems have been quality control issues at assembly. Fortunately I have been able to correct everything myself. Someone here said “the only thing that works in an RV is the owner”. LOL
Although it might not sound like it, I really like our Compass. It’s built to a price point in a competitive market and it shows.

The awning is on you though. The coach weighs about 10,000 lbs, there’s not an awing made that will survive a tree encounter. The plastic end caps are flimsy. I had to replace the rear one on mine but it was my fault.

One thing I’ve discovered is the customer support of Thor and their suppliers has been great.

Hugh
Yes, we really like the Gemini as well, in spite of all the problems (some I fixed, some the dealer fixed, some I paid to have fixed, and some Insurance paid to have fixed). There are only 2 things we would change if we could: 1) get the newer model with the slide on the side instead of the back (and thus having a ladder on the back), and 2) because we often camp with a neighbor couple in their little trailer, we need a place for all 4 of us to spend time together, and a dinette would be a lot better then the couch we have.

Dave
Old 02-20-2018, 08:36 PM   #133

THOR #6701
When I took our 23TR in for service the tech brushed a tree limb on the test drive and lost the front cap. I ordered a new set and the Ford dealer reimbursed me and installed the front cap. Other then that we have had no problems to date with the awning.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #134

THOR #6701
When I took our 23TR in for service the tech brushed a tree limb on the test drive and lost the front cap. I ordered a new set and the Ford dealer reimbursed me and installed the front cap. Other then that we have had no problems to date with the awning.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:44 PM   #135

THOR #10643
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrhugh View Post
Dave,

Hugh
I forgot to mention that we also had to replace the entire windshield due to a nick we did not see that turned into a long crack while it was stored at the repair shop waiting for parts. This, of course, was not a flaw, just bad luck!

Dave
Old 02-24-2018, 06:35 AM   #136

THOR #6701
Dadepfan,

Do you have any more info on that Ford fuel injection pump ?
Old 03-01-2018, 01:04 AM   #137

State: Alabama
THOR #10662
Gemini 23TB TV

I need to tie up some wires that have fallen down from behind the living area tv. My question is does the the tv pull for access. I was afraid to pull for fear of breaking something. It is under warranty but the CW dealer I bought from is not returning my calls so, I guess I will try to fix myself.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:35 AM   #138

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
Both the inside tv's in mine use the same mount. The back tv is a little easier to see how the release works. There's two latches that must be released together. Removing the tv was one of the first things I figured out to fix a rattle.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:43 AM   #139

State: Alabama
THOR #10662
Smile Gemini 23TB tv mount

Thanks that helps a great deal. Glad I didn't try to pull it out.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:52 PM   #140

State: Iowa
THOR #9915
We have a Gemini 2017 23r on a Ford chassis. The rear view camera is so wide angle it is almost worthless, and that split mirror is a joke. Anyone find a way to upgrade the display to make it usable?

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall