Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2020, 09:19 PM   #1381

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #4392
Thinking of a ReqPro for my Gemini TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkirk View Post
Jackknife couch replacement;
Finally got good enough weather in central Illinois to work in camper. Wasn't comfortable with the jackknife couch , sitting in it for long periods didn't work. Posted to you fellow gemi-heads, and came up with a 58" recpro love seat recliner as the answer. Quite pleased w results. Here is the results. First photo , after 2nd before. Dog approved.Attachment 16377Attachment 16378
@jdkirk, Now that you have owned the Recpro love seat for about a year, how do you like it?

We are thinking of doing the same modification to our Gemini TR and wanted to know if you have had any issues since installation?

Thanks,
Dbcassidy

Old 01-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #1382
JRA

Model: 2019 Gemini 23TB
State: Georgia
THOR #17642
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkirk View Post
I have used a mini beam. It plugs into HDMI in back of tv. Then all u have to do is use any app. On your phone, (Netflix,direct TV ect...)and press mirror app on phone. Anything u can watch on phone ,mirrors onto tv. Works so well I use mostly in the house.
Jdkirk, does the mini beam require an internet connection , or can it work with bluetooth only?
Old 01-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #1383
JRA

THOR #17642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Wheel View Post
Welcome! I was where you are a year ago. Still learning.

I found that driveway camping let me get to know a bit more and gave us the security of being at home should we need or forgot something.

Just a thought.

Have fun!
I did this last night! Determined that the mattress sucks and must be replaced or augmented with a topper and that I didn't have enough blankets. gave up the ghost at about 4 am. I need to install the drape that isolates the coach from the driver's cab in order to keep the coach warmer. I think my dog slept better than me, but he seemed really happy to the house too!
Old 01-27-2020, 10:57 PM   #1384

Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Jdkirk, does the mini beam require an internet connection , or can it work with bluetooth only?
It projects whatever is on your phone screen, this picture shows device w full name. Click image for larger version

Name:	1580165469444.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	22371
Old 01-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #1385

State: Arizona
THOR #13926
Could you tell me please which color your chose!
Thanks!
Old 01-30-2020, 08:02 PM   #1386

Model: Four Winds 25V
State: British Columbia
THOR #16038
Gemini color

We chose the electric blue exterior, Forged steel for the pillows,accent ,bed spread and bed accent.The furniture,upper cabinets, and lower cabinets are silver Oak.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:27 PM   #1387
JRA

THOR #17642
Fresh Water Pump

Near the fresh water pump I have a short length of tubing, about 20 inches long, that is capped off. I can't tell if it is connected to the pump suction or pump discharge. Can someone tell me what this is for?
Old 01-31-2020, 04:32 AM   #1388

THOR #16038
short length of tubing

this tubing is used as a syphon hose when you winterize your motor home. I attached a longer lenght of hose 3-4ft then it is possible to put a gal or 4L bottle of antifreeze on the floor,put the other end of the hose in the bottle,turn on your water pump,then open one tap at a time until the pink antifreeze comes out,turn off the tap,then open the next tap and so on until all lines have antifreeze in them. But you must 1st make sure your water hose from the fresh water tank is turned off,or you will pull water or air if the tank is empty.After your lines are winterized make sure you put the cap back on the syphon line,turn off your pump,your lines are now pressurized with antifreeze.Don't open any taps until spring time
Old 01-31-2020, 01:32 PM   #1389
JRA

THOR #17642
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorgem View Post
this tubing is used as a syphon hose when you winterize your motor home. I attached a longer lenght of hose 3-4ft then it is possible to put a gal or 4L bottle of antifreeze on the floor,put the other end of the hose in the bottle,turn on your water pump,then open one tap at a time until the pink antifreeze comes out,turn off the tap,then open the next tap and so on until all lines have antifreeze in them. But you must 1st make sure your water hose from the fresh water tank is turned off,or you will pull water or air if the tank is empty.After your lines are winterized make sure you put the cap back on the syphon line,turn off your pump,your lines are now pressurized with antifreeze.Don't open any taps until spring time
Thanks a billion. I thought this was maybe its use. The owners manual doesn't address this and the orientation I got didn't cover it either.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:50 AM   #1390

THOR #16038
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Thanks a billion. I thought this was maybe its use. The owners manual doesn't address this and the orientation I got didn't cover it either.
Your more than welcome.glad I could help.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:57 AM   #1391

Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
State: New York
THOR #17969
New to Forum

Just bought and picked up our first motor home a 2019 Compass 24TF / Sprinter. Unfortunately here in New York State we are in the throws of winter with freezing temps daily. So other than bringing it home (winterized by dealer), parking it on a concrete pad and covering it, now waiting for warmer weather. I did plug in shore power for the winter and did put mouse deterrent packets everywhere there is plumbing coming through the flooring. Lots to learn (and ask about) once weather breaks. I do have a few questions based on what I have read in the owners section of the website.

1. is there supposed to be a wireless remote for the dash mounted Axxera radio/camera/navigation system? Manuals indicate there is one for the unit.
2. What is everyone doing for storage of their sewer hoses? Not having a tube bumper makes this kind of a pain and waste of valuable storage space.
3. Has anyone bought and installed any type of awning screen room to add living space beyond the motor home? Types and pics would be great.
4. Would living out of this motor home for 2-3 months in one area be practical without getting frustrating and cramped? Any pitfalls here for the bride and myself?

The plan it to see the USA in retirement in 2-3 years. Hope we can meet others on our tour! Thanks for responses and information.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:58 PM   #1392

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Ontario
THOR #14621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edensob View Post
Just bought and picked up our first motor home a 2019 Compass 24TF / Sprinter. Unfortunately here in New York State we are in the throws of winter with freezing temps daily. So other than bringing it home (winterized by dealer), parking it on a concrete pad and covering it, now waiting for warmer weather. I did plug in shore power for the winter and did put mouse deterrent packets everywhere there is plumbing coming through the flooring. Lots to learn (and ask about) once weather breaks. I do have a few questions based on what I have read in the owners section of the website.

1. is there supposed to be a wireless remote for the dash mounted Axxera radio/camera/navigation system? Manuals indicate there is one for the unit.
2. What is everyone doing for storage of their sewer hoses? Not having a tube bumper makes this kind of a pain and waste of valuable storage space.
3. Has anyone bought and installed any type of awning screen room to add living space beyond the motor home? Types and pics would be great.
4. Would living out of this motor home for 2-3 months in one area be practical without getting frustrating and cramped? Any pitfalls here for the bride and myself?

The plan it to see the USA in retirement in 2-3 years. Hope we can meet others on our tour! Thanks for responses and information.

I am located north of you in Canada and we’re in the same winter mess right now. Had to put my 2019 TR in outdoor storage since the bylaws for our town have recently changed.

Here is my take on your questions:

1. The dealer put all of my remotes in one of the cupboards: one for each tv, one for the DVD player, one for the back up camera, one for the outside sound bar. (There may be another one)

2. My sewer hoses collapse and roll up, I then attach the two ends and fit them into the sewage locker. I am working on a solution that will allow for the hoses to be put in a storage container from the locker. More in the spring.

3. I was going to do this but I believe that it would add too much weight to the unit and with the auto retract, if the screen is on it, you may find yourself in a bit of a jam if the auto retract runs with that room attached.

4. My wife and I are going to try extended stays with our 23TR on the Ford chassis. I am currently out of Chemo for an extended period and hope I can stay that way!

If you haven’t already done so, go to the Thor owners section of the Thor Motorcoach website and set up an account. Once you enter your VIN number you will have access to all of the manuals, even those that weren’t in your Thor bag along with a bunch of videos. You will also have access to all of the serial numbers for all of the kit installed in your coach. It is a great resource.

Have fun with the new ‘tiny house’!
Old 02-02-2020, 04:11 PM   #1393

THOR #17969
I was concerned about the awning but thinking some type of extending support poles on the corners would resolve the weight issue. If you decide to move forward let me know what you discover. Thanks.

Since you're in Canada you might be able to also answer if you had your unit undercoated to combat the typical northern rust that we combat? I was considering the oil type products like Fluid Film since they do a great job of penetrating into crevasses.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:01 PM   #1394

Model: Compass 23 TB
THOR #13224
Welcome to the Compass/Gemini family. I have had mine since September 2018 and really have enjoyed it. We also live in Ontario Canada near Kingston Ontario. I do not have the Axxera Radio but the TV are that make and have no problems other than some loose connections on the back, our radio is the Jensen which is OK but poor reception and should have had an antenna.
Regarding the sewer hoses mine are kept in the storage compartment but I did put a 3 foot extension on where it hooks into the main pipe and just hook up the hose to that and cap both ends when finished. I also have a spray bottle mixed half and half water and bleach and spray the connections when finished dumping.
The original hoses supplied with the unit only lasted 2 weeks before springing leaks so replaced with the heavy duty Rhino brand and no problems after that. Have found that a 20 foot is long enough for most of the time but have another 10 foot section just in case.
Regarding the add a room I am not sure where you would store the thing when not in use and would agree with the Edebsob about the auto retract on the awning being a problem.
If you have been used to a larger unit the size of the Compass may be an issue but we did an 11 week trip of a lifetime to Alaska and North West Territories doing 21,000Km`s
on the trip and were very comfortable and enjoyed the room but our former MH was a 2007 Roadtrek 210 P.
There has been some minor issues when on the road but none that caused us to even consider heading for home.
Ours is covered up and plugged into shore power to keep the house batteries charged and installed a smart charger for the starting batteries which is plugged into another outlet. You may not have the same problem accessing the starting batteries but on the Ford Transit they are under the drivers seat and only accessible by an experienced technician.
I also changed up the Girard hot water heater with a 6 gallon Suburban which was OK but we were used to it from our Roadtrek and the Girard was a bit of a pain in using on the trip.
Hope this helps and do not be afraid the ask any questions as people on this forum are very friendly
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Old 02-02-2020, 06:29 PM   #1395

THOR #17969
Thanks Big Wheel and Coveman! I believe the chassis battery is under a seat as well on the Mercedes. I will need to figure out a charger for that battery as well. I know there are jumper connections under the hood, but I doubt it is the best place to install a battery maintainer. Perhaps another Mercedes owner will chime in with some thoughts.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:36 PM   #1396

THOR #13224
I called Ford directly and they told me that hooking up the smart charger is OK and the first year I just ran an extension cord and attached the leads to the posts ( the positive is located under a red cover near the air filter and the negative is located on the right side ( it is shown in the manual) these are meant to be used for jump starting the battery but work just fine. This year I mounted the unit on the inside of the hood but will take it off in the spring.
Coveman2
Old 02-02-2020, 06:40 PM   #1397

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #14621
Edensob,

You caught me on an in-house day and it is snowing so I am trying to finish the internet!

I have no problem getting under the seat to the battery. That being said what I did last year is hooked up to the boosting points under the hood and put the charger on that way. It is quick and easy.

I am now using solar panels to keep both sets of batteries charged. A challenge when it is continually snowing and no sunlight. It give me an excuse to go over to the storage facility and run the generator every 5 or 6 weeks as well as start the engine and run it a few miles.

Instead of carrying a large mosquito net and poles and the such, I carry citronella buckets, mosquito and bug bombs and a bug zapper. More fun. If it gets too bad, I hide.

I didn't think of rust proofing. Now that you mention it I might have the bottom washed in the spring and have Krown Rust Protection sprayed on.

Cheers

Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:49 PM   #1398

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Another Charging Option

You won't go wrong hooking up a smart charger to your chassis battery. But you probably don't need to. As long as you are plugged into shore power and the use/store switch is on, all the batteries will be charged (or maintained with a trickle charge). See http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...when-3315.html
That's all I've done this winter. And we've reached -40 (doesn't matter if it's C or F at that temp) I checked the current when I put it away for winter and the chassis battery was getting a charge. So let's hope it continued to work over the winter. If you want to be extra careful, then use a smart charger. They're inexpensive and may give you peace of mind.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:11 PM   #1399

THOR #13224
I checked with Thor and the Compass and Gemini do not charge the chassis batteries only the coach batteries when plugged in. I leave mine plugged in and flip the use/store once a month for 2-3 days to charge the coach batteries If you look at the schematics for the charging system there is no connection but they may have changed it since 2018
Coveman2
Old 02-02-2020, 07:28 PM   #1400
JRA

THOR #17642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
I checked with Thor and the Compass and Gemini do not charge the chassis batteries only the coach batteries when plugged in. I leave mine plugged in and flip the use/store once a month for 2-3 days to charge the coach batteries If you look at the schematics for the charging system there is no connection but they may have changed it since 2018
Coveman2
Uh, where do find this "use/store" switch?

There is an emergency start switch that can be used to start the motor home if the chassis battery dies.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall