Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2020, 12:10 PM   #1421

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Ontario
THOR #14621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
There are a few screws that hold that shelf in. You can remove the front ones but the back two (in my case) I just had to gently pry up. No damage incurred. My shelf was turned upside down, casters installed and used for storing Shopsmith attachments in my garage. Under the couch is now a new fully inflated spare tire and two pull out wire drawers for food, water or what have you, table top and when traveling we also carry a couple folding canvass chairs.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1569725538
Mountainsam,

I meant to ask what type of rim you got for the spare.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:53 PM   #1422

State: Virginia
THOR #12710
2017 gemini, faded cap over cab

Hello all. My wife and I love the unit, take good care of it, keep it covered but still have awful fading on the fibreglass cap over the cab. Thor is useless, they will not stand behind the product. Dealer is useless, they won't stand behind the product either. I am looking at maybe getting the cap painted. Any experience with this? Thank you!
Old 02-12-2020, 08:14 PM   #1423

Model: Compass 23 TB
THOR #13224
Gemini Faded cap

I am experiencing the same problem but mine is more discolourization than fading. I took it to an auto detailer and he said he may be able to fix it with a wax compound and using a buffer but it would cost $100 to see if it works and because where it is (see pic) he would need a scaffold and if that works it would be $300-400 for the whole job. I think
I will spend the hundred and see where that goes and would probably have the job done.
I also contacted Thor and my dealer went to bat for me but Thor said it was poor maintenance and maybe diesel fuel got spilled up there (that was a good one !!!!) so they threw their dealer under the bus
I did get a ballpark figure from a local autobody guy who restores old cars and he figured around a grand or more to do it, and again its where it is and how to get at it.
Will not get to it until it warms up, up here
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23TB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Discolaration2.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	22525  
Old 02-12-2020, 08:49 PM   #1424

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
My Freedom Elite was starting to do the same thing and unfortunately I think it’s pretty normal. Look at most any older unit without full body paint and it probably will be a flat and uneven color pretty much everywhere. I found that I could make it look pretty good with a LOT of hard work but it wouldn’t last. I think the only permanent fix is paint. I ended up trading (not for this reason) but put full body paint on my list of must haves. Some folks have gone with a wrap as an alternative idea. Hope you find a solution.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:01 AM   #1425

Model: 24TF Compass / Mercedes
State: New York
THOR #17969
I have spent many years and hours working on fiberglass boats that have faded and checked. The sun is brutal and dries out the glass over time. I will give a shout out to a product I am using now with pretty reasonable success at keeping the boats looking good. Here is the link to the product:

https://topcoat.store/pages/topcoat-f11-faq

The stuff cost about $120 a gallon, but goes on sale very frequently for much less. There are smaller quantities available if chosen. It does go a very long way when applied properly. Fellow boaters I have recommended the product to, are very impressed with the results. Consider trying if on your nose piece. It will over time and use re-hydrate the fiberglass as it penetrates. I plan to use it on my Compass to keep it showroom new looking so contaminants will slide or wash off easily. Just my two cents.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:43 AM   #1426

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Tire questions:
What have Gemini/Compass owners purchased as their next 6 tires?
Has anyone put snow rated Winter only tires on and if so what brand? (not planning to drive in snow but required for hwy driving in my location)
Tire pressure monitors? Any preferences? Nancy
Old 02-14-2020, 01:53 PM   #1427

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
Same here on our 23TR, however as I had posted earlier on this forum, we also experienced holes from air gaps between the fiberglass and backing foam. The fiberglass is so thin in spots that as I was cleaning/waxing the front cap, I cracked opened up two small holes. We filled one that was next to the "sunroof" with sealant and put a reflector/marker on it and another to the left of the "sunroof" to balance it out. Almost looks factory! The other is much smaller and just above the windshield on the driver's side. That one we plan to fill with a gel type sealant/glue and touch up paint. Hopefully we don't experience any more.

Paul
Old 02-17-2020, 02:32 AM   #1428

Model: Gemini tw
State: Alberta
THOR #17351
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
My 23TR has a short mud flap mounted in front of the rear passenger-side tires (nothing in front on the rear drivers-side). Doesn't look like it was longer unless it was cut off. So short by design I think. Both my rear mud flaps look properly anchored and not coming in contact with anything....
The front wheel wells look like they could use the wheel well liners too so will be watching for the "after" updates. Nancy

That is to help protect the wiring and battery box under the entry step. There is a solenoid and exposed wiring on the back of the battery box. I had to have the solenoid changed on my Gemini due to extreme corrosion.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:08 AM   #1429

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingwithourgemini View Post
That is to help protect the wiring and battery box under the entry step. There is a solenoid and exposed wiring on the back of the battery box. I had to have the solenoid changed on my Gemini due to extreme corrosion.
Good to know. Will monitor for problems. Nancy
Old 02-17-2020, 04:06 PM   #1430

Model: Gemini tw
State: Alberta
THOR #17351
Use/store switch

On my Gemini, the switch is an on/off switch with a red light on the left side in the entryway to the coach.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:54 PM   #1431

State: Oregon
THOR #9169
look at post 112.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:49 PM   #1432

State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
Hello all. My wife and I love the unit, take good care of it, keep it covered but still have awful fading on the fibreglass cap over the cab. Thor is useless, they will not stand behind the product. Dealer is useless, they won't stand behind the product either. I am looking at maybe getting the cap painted. Any experience with this? Thank you!
I have had my 23TR detailed twice by a professional detailer that does insurance repairs. He can't stop the cap from returning within a few months to the dull uneven looking mess. I agree paint or wrap is the only long term solution. I have stopped spending money on labor and fixes. I plan to go full paint when I can't stand the oxidation any longer. I will keep it clean and buffed as well as possible until then.

Nancy, as far as tires go I plan to upgrade to 205 or 215. Probably kill my 16 mpg but on the other hand having the slightly larger circumference may improve it a bit.??? All weather highway tread for me but we get no snow. If we did I would go with a not so aggressive snow tire on the rear. I lived my first 40 years in heavy snow country and had all I want of that.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:23 PM   #1433

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
Stock Ford Transit wheel part number

Nancy,
Our dualy wheels are smaller than a typical 1 ton wheel.
I bought my spare off eBay for $50. Photo shows part number and size.
Hugh
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C7FEAF09-78B2-4881-8FA2-AC4C661B1712.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	22635  
Old 02-20-2020, 03:32 AM   #1434

Model: Four Winds 25V
THOR #16038
Ed Felker's Manual

I down loaded and copied Ed's manual today. WOW! what a great gift Ed has given us. I'm not new to RVing,but have found all kinds of great info. A must for newbies and oldies alike.Thank you Ed ,Your the Man!
Old 02-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #1435

THOR #14621
Amazing what you find on Youtube

Some or many of you may have already seen this. Just found it interesting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D7E9A898-CEDC-4682-9CAA-8D3ED697E0A7.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	22704  
Old 02-26-2020, 10:59 PM   #1436

Model: Gemini 23TW
State: Alaska
THOR #14358
New for 2021 Compass & Gemini

Talked with a Thor Sales Rep., he said that both the Compass & Gemini for 2021 with the Ford drive train will now be 4 wheel drive, 2.7L EcoBoost V6-Gasoline, 325 HP, 400 Ft.Lb. Torque.
They are keeping the TW model and adding a TE (which will have the murphy bed design).
No more diesel!
Old 02-29-2020, 10:28 PM   #1437

State: Virginia
THOR #12710
Update: just got the Gemini home. Cap looks pretty good, I think that the dealer could have done a better job on prep, but all in all I am pleased with the outcome. I still maintain that it should never have happened. It's a shame that Thor has abandoned all pretense of standing behind an otherwise good unit. I think the cap-only paint solution is ok. Time will tell.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200229_171853030_HDR.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	22757  
Old 03-02-2020, 03:18 PM   #1438

Model: 2018 Gemini 23 TR
State: Quebec
THOR #11163
Bed unfolding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Kennedy View Post
Hello _ i know i've previously read similar posts regarding the -

1) sun roof (shade) bezel drooping, but darned if I can locate a fix. We're 3 years in, and while it's never been tight, it's always held - but those day are over. Hanging by a thread. Is it just a matter of tightening the mounting - I can feel what might be a screw on the one corner hanging loose, but cant seem to find where it goes. Do i need to take the whole thing down - anyone have pictures? suggestions?

2) bed unfolding while driving. I can foresee perhaps a compression rods across the width, but was wondering if someone had a better idea?

3) havent seen any posts on this, but have had upper cabinets pop open while driving a couple times. anyone have clever latching ideas?

thanks in advance
Here is my (very simple option to compression rod. A simple bloc made from scrap pieces of 2 X 4 that is installed at the base of bed (driver side) while MH is moving. Being using this option since day one and works fine. See photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	953FA452-C8A8-40FC-9E4E-B890F420D0DA.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	22788  
Old 03-02-2020, 07:33 PM   #1439

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
Talked with a Thor Sales Rep., he said that both the Compass & Gemini for 2021 with the Ford drive train will now be 4 wheel drive, 2.7L EcoBoost V6-Gasoline, 325 HP, 400 Ft.Lb. Torque.
They are keeping the TW model and adding a TE (which will have the murphy bed design).
No more diesel!
Guess I wonder why they would abandon the diesel. The 24TX, Sprinter diesel, we had, was great, chassis was IMO the single biggest strong point about it. It ran and drove great and consistently got 17 to 19 MPG, not towing.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:19 PM   #1440

Model: 2018 Gemini 23 TR
State: Quebec
THOR #11163
Was wondering the same thing. Maybe to lower the acquisition and maintenance costs of diesel.
I heard that my dealer will no longer be selling the Gemini/Compass models.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall