Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #141

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: Washington
THOR #10643
Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Dadepfan,

Do you have any more info on that Ford fuel injection pump ?
Hi Mountainsam, and I'm sorry it's has taken so long for me to respond!

This was an October 16 Ford safety recall (notice 16S32/NHTSA, recall 16V-618) on the diesel fuel injection pump. The recall sad that "..metallic debris.." from the pump "...can enter the fuel system..." and "Depending on where the metallic debris collects in the fuel system, it may cause the fuel injectors to become clogged."

My vehicle is a 2016 Ford Transit, which is what the recall was for. My local dealer fixed this at no charge by replacing the pump. They said it was more than an 8-hour job!

Dave

Old 03-08-2018, 09:30 PM   #142

State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadepfan View Post
Hi Mountainsam, and I'm sorry it's has taken so long for me to respond!

This was an October 16 Ford safety recall (notice 16S32/NHTSA, recall 16V-618) on the diesel fuel injection pump. The recall sad that "..metallic debris.." from the pump "...can enter the fuel system..." and "Depending on where the metallic debris collects in the fuel system, it may cause the fuel injectors to become clogged."

My vehicle is a 2016 Ford Transit, which is what the recall was for. My local dealer fixed this at no charge by replacing the pump. They said it was more than an 8-hour job!

Dave
Dave,
Thanks for that info. I will be checking on it. I have the same engine as you. I'll let you know how mine comes out.
Sam
Old 03-09-2018, 01:21 AM   #143

State: Oregon
THOR #9169
running boards

I spent a lot of time trying to come up with decent running boards for my compass-Transit. I looked over at my 2000 ford expedition and did some measuring and it looked like it might work. I bought a used black expedition running board for $30 and cut it in half,both ends are the same. It came with 4 brackets. A little cutting and welding and the brackets mounted just fine with 2 on each side. The over door led circuit was tapped and the running board lights were converted to 5 watt leds. See attached pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180308_162343.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	9308   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180308_162355.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	9309  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180308_162605.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	9310  
Old 03-09-2018, 03:27 AM   #144

THOR #6701
Running boards look great.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:29 AM   #145

Model: Compass 23TK
State: Indiana
THOR #10919
Difference between Gemini and Compass?

What is the difference between the Gemini and Compass models??
And, I did not get a manual with my Compass. The manual on the Thor sight I found is very generic for several models and makes. Is there a manual specific to the Gemini/Compass models?
Old 03-09-2018, 12:14 PM   #146
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
What is the difference between the Gemini and Compass models??
And, I did not get a manual with my Compass. The manual on the Thor sight I found is very generic for several models and makes. Is there a manual specific to the Gemini/Compass models?
Nope, we all get the same generic manual.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #147

THOR #6701
There are no differences in the Gemini and Compass models, only the name. Actually this forum is probably the best manual you can find.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:34 AM   #148

THOR #10919
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
There are no differences in the Gemini and Compass models, only the name. Actually this forum is probably the best manual you can find.
Thanks, I have not brought mine home yet. Just purchased a few weeks ago and waiting for the weather to improve a bit before bringing it home. I think I found a great dealer. Still a tad cold here in N.W. Indiana. Will bring home in 2 or 3 weeks and start outfitting it. Will not hesitate to ask questions here as this is our first camper.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:50 AM   #149

THOR #10919
Tow Cars?

Any comments on the best way to go for tow cars and experiences with same on the Gemini/Compass models with the Ford Diesel?
Old 03-10-2018, 05:43 AM   #150

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Almost any thermometer that is convenient to hold and read while in cold air stream (A/C discharge) will do the trick. Since you're only looking for a difference of about 15 degrees F or less, one that only goes up to about 120 F should work fine.
Hit up a truckstop and grab a produce "pulp" thermometer, just stick the prod into the vent and they have a a shirt pocket clip..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #151
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Any comments on the best way to go for tow cars and experiences with same on the Gemini/Compass models with the Ford Diesel?
A big part of the decision is how you want to tow: Four down, on a dolly, or a trailer.

Typically a trailer is too much weight, cost, and hassle so that is thrown out right away.

Towing four down:
  • Easy to connect/disconnect
  • Nothing really to store at the campsite
  • Will need a brake system of some sort
  • Will need to setup some brake lights of some sort
  • Can be more expensive than a dolly
  • Limited # of vehicles can be towed 4 down
  • Typically only setup for one vehicle

Dolly towing:
  • A bit more of a hassle connecting/disconnecting (about 15 minutes vs 2)
  • Have to store the dolly at the campsite and when not camping (ours just slides under the back of the RV)
  • Can tow multiple vehicles (usually any FWD car can be dolly towed)
  • No vehicle setup
  • Brakes included on dolly
  • Dolly usually doesn't add much weight
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:46 PM   #152

Model: Windsport 31z
State: Arizona
THOR #8277
Quote:

I went with four down towing a 2009 Mini Cooper with manual tranny. Went with all Roadmaster components. Installed Invisabrake in Mini. Have only pulled Mini once (600 mile trip) Only mods I have done to Gemini is Sumosprings on the rear. I had 0 problems towing. Did some towing around town to get the braking pressure set correctly. When towing I can barely tell it is back there. When I tow I put trans in neutral and leave Key fob out. The invisabrake keeps the Minis battery charged.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:43 AM   #153

THOR #10919
Gray tank capacities

In the specs for the the 23TK and 23TR, the gray water tank shows two separate capacities. I take it these models have two separate gray tanks?
Old 03-11-2018, 02:15 AM   #154

THOR #6701
The 23TR has two gray tanks. One for the kitchen sink and one for the bathroom. I am not sure if the bathroom sink empties into the gray tank or black tank but the shower empties into the gray for sure.

As far as towing with the 3.2 Ford diesel, I don’t. The engine seems to have plenty of power but you would be very limited in choices of toads light enough to stay under the combined weight limits. I would assume 4down would be the only possibility.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #155

Model: 2017 Compass 23TR
State: Florida
THOR #9752
Regarding the safety recall for the injection pump, I went to the Ford website and entered my VIN (2017 Compass 23TR/2016 Transit Turbo Diesel) to find a Field Service Action (FSA) for a "Powertrain Control Module Reprogramming" but no Recall for the injection pump.

Anyone else get this FSA? It sounds like something that really should be taken care of as soon as possible.

Paul
Old 03-14-2018, 10:52 PM   #156

Model: 2017 Gemini 23TR
State: British Columbia
THOR #5922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul N View Post
Regarding the safety recall for the injection pump, I went to the Ford website and entered my VIN (2017 Compass 23TR/2016 Transit Turbo Diesel) to find a Field Service Action (FSA) for a "Powertrain Control Module Reprogramming" but no Recall for the injection pump.

Anyone else get this FSA? It sounds like something that really should be taken care of as soon as possible.

Paul
I too went to the Ford site and entered my VIN --getting the FSA --but not the recall for the injection pump. I have not called my local Ford dealership yet to see about resolving the FSA. When I called the local Ford dealership about an oil change they said they could not handle the size of my 23TR. Expecting that again so have delayed acting on the FSA. I would be interested in what is entailed if anyone get this work done and any recall info. Nancy
Old 03-14-2018, 11:50 PM   #157

THOR #6701
I went to the site a few days ago and had no FSA item, but today it is there so must be new. I am going to the Ford dealer tomorrow and schedule this FSA repair. Sounds like a reprogram which I had last summer but we will see. As for the fuel pump I was able to find out it concerned just over 2000 vehicles and mine was manufactured in the time frame the recall mentioned but my RV would have been sitting on the sales lot at that time the recall was issued. So I will be asking about that tomorrow also.

Last summer they had to reprogram my computer due to Regens every 100 miles or so. Hasn't seemed to be a problem after that.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:58 PM   #158

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmilla View Post
When I called the local Ford dealership about an oil change they said they could not handle the size of my 23TR. Expecting that again so have delayed acting on the FSA. I would be interested in what is entailed if anyone get this work done and any recall info. Nancy
I think for service all Ford Fleet Truck Dealers could handle the 23TR. May have to drive to the next town to find one.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:07 AM   #159

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Going back to the running board issue, mine, which is on the Sprinter chassis, had no running boards, for some mysterious reason. The ones that Winnebago uses on their Sprinter based coaches fits perfectly, which I now have on mine. They really need them, without, the only way my wife could get in, was through the house door. The running boards make all three doors accessible for her.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:57 AM   #160

THOR #6701
Running boards would help us also since I have a bad left knee that seems to take the brunt of my dismount. I haven't started looking for running boards for the Ford chassis. And I no longer have tools for modifications like motorhd did.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall