Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #1201

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
I really like our 23TR in spite of all the QC issues. So far I’ve been able to fix everything myself. It’s size is perfect for our travel style. Wife likes to explore small town historic districts and farmers markets. We just got back from Colorado and had a great time escaping the Texas heat. My only problem is the confidence in the 3.2 Diesel engine. In 14,000 miles I’ve had four “Reduced Power” issues. The first three were related to DPF software problems. Ford eventually solved the problem after three trips to the only dealer in Houston that will work on a Transit based rv. On the way home from this last trip about 450 miles into a 500 mile day we experienced another reduced power episode. This one was more dramatic than the DPF events. I had to stop and restart the engine to continue. This was literally in the middle of no where west Texas. Fortunately we were able limp into an rv park near Quanah,
TX 90 miles from Wichita Falls. The next morning I still had a red check engine light but power seemed ok. Because Ford would tow me to the nearest dealer under warranty I decided to chance driving on to Wichita Falls. The check engine light changer to yellow and everything seemed normal again. We filled up in Wichita Falls and basically drove home ,416miles, at 55 mph. A stressful end to an otherwise great trip.
Ford worked on it for three days and never found the problem. They think it was a bad connection in the wiring harnesses and if it happens again to bring it back in.
There are medical reasons why I can’t be stranded for more than a day. As much as we like our Compass I’m looking for an MB powered replacement. Not that easy
Hugh

Old 08-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #1202

Model: compass 23tw
State: California
THOR #7466
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrhugh View Post
I really like our 23TR in spite of all the QC issues. So far I’ve been able to fix everything myself. It’s size is perfect for our travel style. Wife likes to explore small town historic districts and farmers markets. We just got back from Colorado and had a great time escaping the Texas heat. My only problem is the confidence in the 3.2 Diesel engine. In 14,000 miles I’ve had four “Reduced Power” issues. The first three were related to DPF software problems. Ford eventually solved the problem after three trips to the only dealer in Houston that will work on a Transit based rv. On the way home from this last trip about 450 miles into a 500 mile day we experienced another reduced power episode. This one was more dramatic than the DPF events. I had to stop and restart the engine to continue. This was literally in the middle of no where west Texas. Fortunately we were able limp into an rv park near Quanah,
TX 90 miles from Wichita Falls. The next morning I still had a red check engine light but power seemed ok. Because Ford would tow me to the nearest dealer under warranty I decided to chance driving on to Wichita Falls. The check engine light changer to yellow and everything seemed normal again. We filled up in Wichita Falls and basically drove home ,416miles, at 55 mph. A stressful end to an otherwise great trip.
Ford worked on it for three days and never found the problem. They think it was a bad connection in the wiring harnesses and if it happens again to bring it back in.
There are medical reasons why I can’t be stranded for more than a day. As much as we like our Compass I’m looking for an MB powered replacement. Not that easy
Hugh

Hello,
MB powered replacement,think about finding a dealer in the middle of no
where & one that will work on a rv. just saying.
Regards
2020 29J Outlaw- sold
2021 23tw compass
safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:03 PM   #1203

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:

......cut.... As much as we like our Compass I’m looking for an MB powered replacement. Not that easy
Hugh
Have you looked at gasoline Transit-based motorhomes? That might be another option.

Fuel economy won’t be as good, but for the mileage most motorhomes are driven, added fuel cost should be offset in part by lower initial cost.

Driving range is also less with gas vs diesel, but starting with 2020 Model Year there’s a 31-gallon optional fuel tank that will help. I expect many Transit motorhome will have that option.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:56 PM   #1204

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
First trip of the summer more than 100 miles yesterday. We helped grand daughter get moved into her college dorm. 300 miles round trip. We decided to take the Gemini to give it a good run and check all systems. After having a couple minor medical issues that has kept me around the house this summer we are finally preparing for a 1200 mile trip mid Sept. It will be our first real Boon docking trip in years. No magical umbilical cord. Going over a list I prepared I will be emptying out most storage compartments and repacking for self efficiency. Getting about as exited as a 5 year old at Christmas time.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:10 PM   #1205

THOR #7972
Both good points. I’m in no hurry but the clock is ticking on our travel window. There are a couple of models I’d like to look at & drive but there are none available in the Houston area. At least I know what our needs are now.
Hugh
Old 08-27-2019, 12:14 AM   #1206

State: Arizona
THOR #13161
New Toad

Nice ez tow, Avg 13.5 MPG I can still pass traffic woohoo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1B59280B-E460-4AD2-B139-DEE9DDC791B2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	19871  
Old 08-27-2019, 12:24 AM   #1207

State: Arizona
THOR #13161
Sitting out @ Camp

This past weekend, all ready for a little workout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sittingoutpat.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	19872  
Old 08-27-2019, 02:32 AM   #1208

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
Since mid April, I put over 10,000 miles on my MB Thor Siesta with no issues. Plenty of power and torque. My previous coach was also a MB chassis on a Winnebago ERA. Once again I had no engine issues with it. I never worried about having to locate a shop in the event I needed emergency service.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:32 PM   #1209

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by vngaspar View Post
Nice ez tow, Avg 13.5 MPG I can still pass traffic woohoo!
Excellent, glad it worked out for you. Even though I have no urge to tow at this point I still have my feelers out for something that would work for us.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:37 PM   #1210

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
My Alaska Trip

Put on 21,000 kms and the Compass was an excellent choice. Had some small issues , DEF regen needed to be reset at a Ford dealer but no problems after that. There was the usual small issues of loose screws and will be going back to the dealer for some minor adjustments on hinges and the awning.
Fuel mileage was 14.1 per 100 kms which works out to about 18mph but would be better if you do not carry a full tank of water but needed the water available if needed. The mileage did not change even when in the prairies where you set the cruise keep a constant 100km per hour or in the mountains.
If you go to Alaska be prepared to not have great internet service and phone service is only good around cities and towns.
Lots to see and do and the roads are pretty good just watch your speed and the frost heave markers
Coveman2
PS I had a few inquiries about my other postings and could not reply due to the internet problems , send my a note remind me to answer any questions
Old 08-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #1211

Model: 23 TR
State: Florida
THOR #10954
Quote:
Hugh
Hi Hugh,

I have had a similar issue and It was my EGR valve. When they updated my software last time into dealer it has been an issue since then. The EGR valve was replaced and not a big difference. I was on a long trip and it happened to me like the experience you had my during 4th of July trip! I got a can of Sea Form and added it to my diesel and then drove it another 1,500 miles and no issues again since then. For a small amount of money very worth the price. Better fuel mileage and power as well.
Carl
Old 08-29-2019, 01:18 PM   #1212

THOR #7972
Carl,
Thanks for sharing your EGR experience. I’ve decided to fight through this issue. My 2012 F-150 EcoBoost had a phantom problem that also only appeared after a 4 hour plus run. Ford was about to replace the ECU when the mechanic accidentally bumped a wiring harness and one of the turbo waste gates opened while at idle. Broken wire near a sensor!!! It took a complete heat soak for the wiring to expand breaking continuity.
My main issue is being stranded so I will start monitoring the engine via the OBD2 and a scan tool. When/if the next “Reduced Power “ event happens I should be able to clear the fault and drive on to help. This engine is pretty remarkable when running correctly. If it is a transitional problem clearing the fault won’t hurt anything if it is a hard fault, problem solved.
Hugh
Old 08-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #1213

Model: 23 TR
State: Florida
THOR #10954
Quote:
Carl,
Thanks for sharing your EGR experience. I’ve decided to fight through this issue. My 2012 F-150 EcoBoost had a phantom problem that also only appeared after a 4 hour plus run. Ford was about to replace the ECU when the mechanic accidentally bumped a wiring harness and one of the turbo waste gates opened while at idle. Broken wire near a sensor!!! It took a complete heat soak for the wiring to expand breaking continuity.
My main issue is being stranded so I will start monitoring the engine via the OBD2 and a scan tool. When/if the next “Reduced Power “ event happens I should be able to clear the fault and drive on to help. This engine is pretty remarkable when running correctly. If it is a transitional problem clearing the fault won’t hurt anything if it is a hard fault, problem solved.
Hugh
Yes, I forgot to mention that I did pick up an OPDll as well. I had cleared this fault and so far hasn't come back. My power came back up to normal levels along with the gas mileage as well. I have checked several times since then and have no codes at all. The Sea form seemed to do the trick and don't really know why. I had several of the same codes before I did a treatment. Might allow the valve to open and close if it was stuck! Have put over 1,800 miles since the treatment and no issues so far.

Good luck they are a really good RV with a few issues!
Old 08-29-2019, 05:02 PM   #1214

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
It’ll be interesting to see if Thor offers Transit with the simpler gas engine next year. Maybe Thor have marketing data showing buyers prefer diesel, but most motorhomes are gasoline, so who knows?
Old 08-30-2019, 03:17 AM   #1215

THOR #6701
I had a couple reduced power episodes but none since Ford reprogrammed it. I am interested in this Sea Foam. I’ve had four diesels and been around diesel equipment in the oil field but have no knowledge of Sea Foam. Is it an occasional use product or is it intended for constant use? I don’t mind paying for additives if they do what they are intended for. Is it a cleaning product or a lubricant?
Old 08-30-2019, 03:35 AM   #1216

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
I have used Sea Foam on diesel equipment that was having problems with water in the fuel, used according to instructions on the can and resolved most of the problems so we could drive the machine to the garage. I use Sea Foam in my Alante 26AY before parking for the winter.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:09 AM   #1217

Model: Compass 23TK
State: Indiana
THOR #10919
I have been using this. Cannot say it makes a difference for sure, but have not had any issues with the engine in the 2 years I have been driving it.

Genuine Ford Fluid PM-22-A ULSD Compliant Cetane Booster and Performance Improver - 20 oz.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:15 PM   #1218

State: Arkansas
THOR #16429
Hi All! New to the forum, but have been contemplating an RV for years. Life circumstances have finally made owning an RV a realistic possibility. WOOT!

Started looking at Class Bs, then checked out fifth wheels, then got distracted by toy haulers, then went back to the Class Bs, and have finally discovered Class B+ (even though salesmen tell me there is no such thing). Yahoo! These B+s are exactly what I’ve been looking for.

Now, I’m narrowing down to the exact model. Gemini/Compass 24TF is at the top of the list (followed by Entegra Qwest 24L and Tiffin Wayfarer 25QW even though it is a true Class C).

I cannot for the life of me find any information/video online that shows a Gemini/Compass outside walk-around — where are the tank valves? Will it be a nightmare to empty the tanks every time?

What about winterizing? Will I need to be a contortionist to reach drain plugs, etc.? (And for that matter—if I park the coach inside a storage unit between trips and drive the coach somewhere every month, do I even need to winterize?)

One more thing—I see that the size of the black tank on the Gem/Comp is much smaller than the black tanks on the other two models (19.5 gals. v 31 and 33 gals respectively). Any comments or experiences you’d like to share about this? I’m not sure if it is good or bad...

I’m so glad I found this thread! I have already learned a ton just by reading the comments here.

TIA for responses!
Old 09-01-2019, 04:11 PM   #1219

State: Kentucky
THOR #9444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
Does anyone monitor their AC voltage? Noticed that my AC voltage drops 5 to 7 volts continuously as measured from an outlet, when the Air Cond compressor is on. Do not know if this an issue with the shore power or maybe the wire on the 30 amp cable needs to be a higher gauge due to the length of the cable that came with the camper. Usually have at least 120 vac from shore power so this drop is not alarming. Although at some campgrounds when a lot of people are running their air conditioners have seen shore power in general drop to 108 to 110 volts. I do check polarity before plugging into shore power as everyone should to play it safe.
They terminate in the space behind the breaker panel. There is an access door underneath the clothes drawers. The wires are orange and white. You will need to run more wire to wherever you decide to put your solar controller, as there is very little slack available. It is easy to run wire behind all the drawers to the panel in the entry on the side of the sink, which also puts it close to the batteries.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #1220

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
Does anyone monitor their AC voltage? Noticed that my AC voltage drops 5 to 7 volts continuously as measured from an outlet, when the Air Cond compressor is on. Do not know if this an issue with the shore power or maybe the wire on the 30 amp cable needs to be a higher gauge due to the length of the cable that came with the camper. Usually have at least 120 vac from shore power so this drop is not alarming. Although at some campgrounds when a lot of people are running their air conditioners have seen shore power in general drop to 108 to 110 volts. I do check polarity before plugging into shore power as everyone should to play it safe.

I keep a digital voltage meter plugged into the bathroom outlet and check it most every time I go in. It also serves as our nightlight. I’ve seen park voltages as low as 107 on hot days when everyone is using the AC. My AC seemed to work ok at that low level but I’ll switch to generator if I’m able at that point.

Tags
cutout, dinette, modification, murphy bed, opening, wall