Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2022, 03:36 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by njwandrr View Post
I had the same issue a few years ago while traveling in FL too. I realized it was heat related too. I figured it was very hot in the compartment and the generator was starving for air, so I took the cover off of the generator and ran without it and it seemed to have worked.
That is exactly what Cummins Onan and my Manual says not to do. Have you talked with Onan Support? May be worth the effort; before you have a 2nd problem.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 03:42 PM   #42

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Everyone it is really hot all over.
As Cummins has stated run it as often as possible.
They claim every day is OK.
Every 2 weeks at least.
We have 449 hours in 2 years and only issue a seal leaked and they gave us a 2 year warranty on anything generator related.

Enjoy stay cool. Run while driving. Run the night and day before leaving.

Enjoy our new toys!
I am conceding defeat, I enjoy staying cool. Run while driving with AGS on, I even run 2 hours every day when boondocking whether I need it or not. I can only average 75 hours / year. I have 3 1/2 years and you have doubled me in 2 years. Got a trip coming in up in 10 days, I may start it in manual mode and leave on the entire trip
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 07-20-2022, 07:33 PM   #43

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Good point.
Cummins in Montana said the cover is a must!
Old 07-20-2022, 07:35 PM   #44

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I am conceding defeat, I enjoy staying cool. Run while driving with AGS on, I even run 2 hours every day when boondocking whether I need it or not. I can only average 75 hours / year. I have 3 1/2 years and you have doubled me in 2 years. Got a trip coming in up in 10 days, I may start it in manual mode and leave on the entire trip
Yes my friend why have a fun expensive rig and not use the generator. We all have friends with little Honda’s they have rub for years. We leave the socket on while driving. Entire coach cool for doggies passengers and us.
We only live once who cares.

Just do it!
Old 07-22-2022, 06:31 PM   #45

THOR #20220
https://rvlife.com/camping-generator...m_medium=email
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 03:10 PM   #46

State: Nevada
THOR #10603
Generator

Change the fuel filter, this fixed my issue with generator shut down.
I lived in Las Vegas and the heat didn’t bother it.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:06 PM   #47

State: Florida
THOR #26505
Well picked up my rv and the generator ran for 5 minutes,dealer did nothing plus they tell me I have to take it onan as they can’t work on it. They are in Jacksonville 2 hours away, I calling bs there has to be a way to get warranty work done
Old 08-01-2022, 07:19 PM   #48
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg&bev View Post
So we took our 2022 35m hurricane in for warranty2 weeks ago. They did do a couple of large items (I think I’ll know more on our next trip this weekend) but multiple items not addressed and other items broken by dealer. Now they tell me I need to take it to Onan for generator repair, I’m sorry I’m saying bs.it’s so frustrating I’d love to tell them to take it back🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️🤦*♂️ Sorry just venting to you guys as Thor owners

Quote:
Well picked up my rv and the generator ran for 5 minutes,dealer did nothing plus they tell me I have to take it onan as they can’t work on it. They are in Jacksonville 2 hours away, I calling bs there has to be a way to get warranty work done
Didn't you already rant about this a week ago?

Who is "they".

Use the Onan Authorized Service and Parts locator and you'll see many other dealers much closer than Jacksonville.

If you do have to take it to Jacksonville, make an appointment for a Thursday or early Friday. They can probably do same day in & out. Then head over to Huguenot Memorial Park for the weekend (reservations recommended).

Make the trip an adventure instead of a source of frustration.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:39 PM   #49

THOR #26505
thanks i found a dealer in Daytona but they don't have a lift to pull if they need to. i just really wonder why dealer can't service or arrange to service what they sell.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:43 PM   #50
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
thanks i found a dealer in Daytona but they don't have a lift to pull if they need to. i just really wonder why dealer can't service or arrange to service what they sell.
No need to lift the MH, most places use a floor jack to lower and raise the generator if it needs to be removed.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:48 PM   #51

THOR #26505
i just think they don't want to do it, they said i was the 4th thor in the last 2 weeks with the same issue i have.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:36 PM   #52
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
i just think they don't want to do it, they said i was the 4th thor in the last 2 weeks with the same issue i have.
Except from your description it sounds like an Onan/Cummins issue. Thor did not build the generator.

Of course it could still be an issue related to the generator installation - in which case it will be a Thor issue.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:04 PM   #53

THOR #26505
It’s a generator issue because in ran perfect for the first 5 trips
Old 08-01-2022, 09:06 PM   #54

THOR #20220
Quote:
It’s a generator issue because in ran perfect for the first 5 trips
Cummins saved our butts
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 08-01-2022, 10:56 PM   #55

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Cummins saved our butts
I just got back from trip with Onan AGS in Auto Mode 24/7 from late Wed through Sunday. Worked like a champ. I am guess I burned about $65 of fuel that I bought for $3.39/gal

I will not catch you, but at 272 hours, I hope to make at least 300 hours by my 4 year anniversary.

By far Cummins Onan & EC-30 AGS is still my most favorite part of the RV. I think I would go crazy if it did not work? I run it all the time so I know it does
Old 08-01-2022, 11:08 PM   #56

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I just got back from trip with Onan AGS in Auto Mode 24/7 from late Wed through Sunday. Worked like a champ. I am guess I burned about $65 of fuel that I bought for $3.39/gal

I will not catch you, but at 272 hours, I hope to make at las 300 hours by my 4 year anniversary.

By far Cummins Onan & EC-30 AGS is still my most favorite part of the RV. I think I would go crazy if it did not work? I run it all the time so I know it does
AGS is an excellent feature..
You may catch me because of live in beautiful Las cruses and Winters here are a joy. So hot tube outside tv..few winter trips
Old 08-02-2022, 07:47 PM   #57

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Louisiana
THOR #27322
My Update - Generator Now Running

I now feel confident that the issue with my generator shut-down has been corrected. Root Cause of the issue - trash in fuel and bad fuel. After replacing the fuel pump and fuel filter I was able to keep the generator running without issue and in 95-100 degree temps. Added 24 hour of run time to make sure.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:06 PM   #58

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackew View Post
I now feel confident that the issue with my generator shut-down has been corrected. Root Cause of the issue - trash in fuel and bad fuel. After replacing the fuel pump and fuel filter I was able to keep the generator running without issue and in 95-100 degree temps. Added 24 hour of run time to make sure.
Good for you..I always add fuel additive on each fillup
Old 08-02-2022, 10:32 PM   #59

THOR #26505
Well I just went and started it up ran for 20 minutes and shut off, but this time I saw the code 33 (over heating) but have no idea where to go next,
Old 08-02-2022, 11:15 PM   #60

THOR #20220
Quote:
Well I just went and started it up ran for 20 minutes and shut off, but this time I saw the code 33 (over heating) but have no idea where to go next,
My God. Sorry to hear..is Cummins near you?