Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2022, 03:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #26505
Generator

2022-35m hurricane. Unit is 2 months old and seems like every trip something else breaks. This trip we started generator as always,stopped for gas,turned it off and restarted it after fill up.it ran for about 20 minutes and shut(would not restart)we were close to campground so just went on.coming home today we started it up and again it shut off in about 20 minutes? 14 hours on the unit, any ideas it’s real important in Florida or the a/c will never catch up. Thanks

Old 06-26-2022, 03:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
When you say "won't start" - does it turn over and not start/run or does it not turn over?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:19 PM   #3

THOR #26505
After it shuts down it turns over but won’t fire,oil level is fine?
Old 06-26-2022, 06:35 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
If the oil level is ok and you are in extremely hot temps, it is possible that the fuel is starting to "boil." Once it starts boiling or turning to vapor the generator is starved for fuel. After the generator stops running, all cooling air also stops causing the problem.

This could make sense since you stopped for gas the the generator stopped cooling and there was no additional air flow from driving.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:56 PM   #5

THOR #26505
It did the same thing on the return trip and it sat for 2 days before we fired it up,it’s no hotter this week than weeks before, I’m taking it in on the 13Th for a long list I’ll add this to it hopefully the dealer can work on it. Thanks
Old 07-06-2022, 01:31 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Louisiana
THOR #27322
Listening in on this topic

My brand new Coach, the generator is doing the same since day one. It is like starving for fuel. I am leaning towards the fact that this is a heat issue, because one night I was able to start and have it ran without issue for a while. But I'll be awfully disappointed if its the heat cause in the as we know in the south we have the heat in the summer months and the only time the generator is really needed.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:40 PM   #7

THOR #26505
im taking mine in next week ill let you know what they say, if they can't fix it they can have the coach back.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:44 PM   #8

THOR #27322
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg&bev View Post
im taking mine in next week ill let you know what they say, if they can't fix it they can have the coach back.
I'm thinking the same here.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:25 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
... Unit is 2 months old and seems like every trip something else breaks....
Reality is:
First year of any RV is "debug time".
It helps if you have a good dealer....
Don't lose heart, keep fixing it and at a certain point the number of issues will be minimal.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 02:27 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 34R
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
If the oil level is ok and you are in extremely hot temps, it is possible that the fuel is starting to "boil."...
That is called a "hot shutdown".
Never heard about it on a generator but I would check the fuel pump too...
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:07 PM   #11

THOR #26505
im going to let the dealer look at it , it odd because it worked fine on the first 5 trips.it was just as hot
Old 07-06-2022, 03:13 PM   #12

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Vapor lock is an age-old problem that I grew up with and very prevalent on air cooled or poorly cooled engines.

We used to add heat sinks on the fuel lines and often reroute them as well to minimize the problem

Didn't have ethanol blends back then so could be a bit different now
Old 07-06-2022, 04:55 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
2022-35m hurricane. Unit is 2 months old and seems like every trip something else breaks. This trip we started generator as always,stopped for gas,turned it off and restarted it after fill up.it ran for about 20 minutes and shut(would not restart)we were close to campground so just went on.coming home today we started it up and again it shut off in about 20 minutes? 14 hours on the unit, any ideas it’s real important in Florida or the a/c will never catch up. Thanks
Wow sad. If you are near Cummings dealer they will fix free and give you a warranty.

Also like most of us many things need adjusting the 1st year. Lora and I have had to Tighten many screws..towel bars . Sealant on areas where loose, etc..knock on wood. After 1st year and 22k miles no real issues. Hang in there..this is an amazing way to have fun. !!
Old 07-06-2022, 05:10 PM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Just get it fixed, like other things, under warranty. It’ll work in the heat. Mine ran for 6 hours in the 100 degree Midwest heat last week. Might be a bad fuel pump. It happens. How many hours are on it? It might run better after it gets “broken in”. I agree with the post that it takes a good year to get the bugs out of a new coach. Shouldn’t, but it does. After that it will give you years of (mostly) trouble free service. So many people get frustrated and give up right before it gets good. Second owner gets the benefit!
Old 07-06-2022, 05:17 PM   #15

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Great advice from folks, fix it and enjoy the lifestyle

I have ran our generator 4 days straight with no down time, and with no issues so they will perform if everything is working right

Since we run the generator full time when traveling in 90+ temps the hours will add up but they are built to take that
Old 07-06-2022, 05:44 PM   #16

THOR #26505
thanks all its only got 13 hours on it and those ran great so the dealer gets it next week. fingers crossed, and true our 5th wheel had many issues the 1st year and now somebody has a trouble free unit, i just need to be patient.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:30 PM   #17

THOR #27322
I'll update on July 09

Service center just called will have a Onan tech take a look at ours this Friday. I'll update with their findings.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:47 PM   #18

THOR #27322
Could it be the Oil Level is marked wrong?

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...wn-6775-5.html

I just read this on another older thread. I am now very curious about the last few post and a YouTube video stating that our issue may be the "Oil Level"
Old 07-09-2022, 07:03 PM   #19

State: Nevada
THOR #6606
Coincidently I am sitting in my RV right now with the generator and AC running to checkout the fix I just did for the same problem. I have the Cummins RV QG4000 and it’s had this problem since new in 2017. I read another post where the originator replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, added 3/4” ID silver aluminum coated fiberglass sleeve over the fuel lines and exhaust fiberglass wrap over the new fuel pump. I just did the same putting the sleeve over the line from the pump to the carburetor and over the line from the filter towards the gas tank; about 5’. Before, the generator would not run more the 20 minutes if the outside temp was above 90 degrees. Now, after the fix, I’ve been sitting here for 1-1/2 hours now, 100 degrees outside (Las Vegas at 11:00 am) and it is still running strong. Hopefully this does the trick. It has helped greatly in the very least. I bought all the parts needed on Amazon.

BTW…I tried the oil level trick too. Didn’t help. Besides, not too keen on reducing the oil level on an engine that holds less the 1.4 quarts anyway.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:01 PM   #20

THOR #27322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty02 View Post
Coincidently I am sitting in my RV right now with the generator and AC running to checkout the fix I just did for the same problem. I have the Cummins RV QG4000 and it’s had this problem since new in 2017. I read another post where the originator replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, added 3/4” ID silver aluminum coated fiberglass sleeve over the fuel lines and exhaust fiberglass wrap over the new fuel pump. I just did the same putting the sleeve over the line from the pump to the carburetor and over the line from the filter towards the gas tank; about 5’. Before, the generator would not run more the 20 minutes if the outside temp was above 90 degrees. Now, after the fix, I’ve been sitting here for 1-1/2 hours now, 100 degrees outside (Las Vegas at 11:00 am) and it is still running strong. Hopefully this does the trick. It has helped greatly in the very least. I bought all the parts needed on Amazon.

BTW…I tried the oil level trick too. Didn’t help. Besides, not too keen on reducing the oil level on an engine that holds less the 1.4 quarts anyway.
So, the oil level trick did not work for me either. So the tech tried running off a gas can - but the generator would go into the 36 fault. So he is replacing the fuel pump. So I hope I’m getting closer to my solution [fingers crossed]

Thanks for sharing your experience.