Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2022, 11:11 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackew View Post
So, the oil level trick did not work for me either. So the tech tried running off a gas can - but the generator would go into the 36 fault. So he is replacing the fuel pump. So I hope I’m getting closer to my solution [fingers crossed]

Thanks for sharing your experience.
We’ll, it was 105 F and 1-1/2 of run time when I shut of the AC. The generator shutdown on its own about a minute later while was letting it cool down after removing the load. Like I said, at least it helped. It would have shutdown after only 20 minutes above 90 F before. I did see a post for 2016 where Fleetwood has a duct you can install between the hatch door and generator louvre on the side panel. BTW, I have the generator with the side air intake rather than the intake from the bottom.

Old 07-10-2022, 01:48 AM   #22

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty02 View Post
Coincidently I am sitting in my RV right now with the generator and AC running to checkout the fix I just did for the same problem. I have the Cummins RV QG4000 and it’s had this problem since new in 2017. I read another post where the originator replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, added 3/4” ID silver aluminum coated fiberglass sleeve over the fuel lines and exhaust fiberglass wrap over the new fuel pump. I just did the same putting the sleeve over the line from the pump to the carburetor and over the line from the filter towards the gas tank; about 5’. Before, the generator would not run more the 20 minutes if the outside temp was above 90 degrees. Now, after the fix, I’ve been sitting here for 1-1/2 hours now, 100 degrees outside (Las Vegas at 11:00 am) and it is still running strong. Hopefully this does the trick. It has helped greatly in the very least. I bought all the parts needed on Amazon.

BTW…I tried the oil level trick too. Didn’t help. Besides, not too keen on reducing the oil level on an engine that holds less the 1.4 quarts anyway.

Wow may help someday..
Do you have pictures and links to Amazon wrap etc ordered?
Old 07-10-2022, 11:33 AM   #23

State: New York
THOR #4227
Same here

I am having the exact same issue with mine.Someone told me try putting a load on it to see if that helps keepit going?Please let me know what the dealer says
Old 07-10-2022, 01:41 PM   #24

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Help me here. A Hurricane 35M has 2 AC units doesn’t it? However, you’ve got a 4000 generator instead of a 5000. Are both AC units running? I know as ambient temps go up, it takes more amperage for the compressor to cool.

A question to you guys who are having problems. Do you have the same model generator?

Could it just be overloaded?

My 4000 QG sits in a metal tray, open to the road below. With the door having a full length vent.

Things that make you go hmmmm….
Old 07-10-2022, 01:58 PM   #25

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird773 View Post
I am having the exact same issue with mine.Someone told me try putting a load on it to see if that helps keepit going?Please let me know what the dealer says
Is yours a 39M with a 4000 generator as well?
Old 07-10-2022, 03:34 PM   #26

State: New York
THOR #4227
I will have to look

I will have to look
Old 07-10-2022, 04:04 PM   #27

State: Nevada
THOR #6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackew View Post
So, the oil level trick did not work for me either. So the tech tried running off a gas can - but the generator would go into the 36 fault. So he is replacing the fuel pump. So I hope I’m getting closer to my solution [fingers crossed]

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Filter
https://a.co/d/hFo9ain

Pump
https://a.co/d/aq46rtC

Line Sheath
https://a.co/d/3t2yAXY

Exhaust Wrap
https://a.co/d/5LBaDwj

The only I may do differently is order 1” rather than 2” exhaust wrap. Probably would be able to wrap the contours of the pump body better, although the 2” did the job. I also used safety wire wrapped around the the exhaust wrap to secure it.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:51 PM   #28

Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Georgia
THOR #16870
I fought this problem last summer and every time it was the fuel pump getting too hot. I took the fuel pump out of the generator housing and replaced it with fuel line. I mounted a fuel pump on the frame rail near the gas tank in the rear. It has not given me a minutes trouble since, and we live in SE Georgia where it gets very hot also.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:24 AM   #29

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid to the Law View Post
I fought this problem last summer and every time it was the fuel pump getting too hot. I took the fuel pump out of the generator housing and replaced it with fuel line. I mounted a fuel pump on the frame rail near the gas tank in the rear. It has not given me a minutes trouble since, and we live in SE Georgia where it gets very hot also.
Nice fix. I hope the OP comes back and reads your mod.
Old 07-12-2022, 01:20 PM   #30

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid to the Law View Post
Wow pictures and line used would help many
Old 07-13-2022, 01:57 AM   #31

THOR #20220
Everyone it is really hot all over.
As Cummins has stated run it as often as possible.
They claim every day is OK.
Every 2 weeks at least.
We have 449 hours in 2 years and only issue a seal leaked and they gave us a 2 year warranty on anything generator related.

Enjoy stay cool. Run while driving. Run the night and day before leaving.

Enjoy our new toys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220712-192748_RVMaster.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	38668  
Old 07-13-2022, 08:32 PM   #32

State: Louisiana
THOR #16555
Generator

Generatorhas low oil shut off when u move sid to side or big bumps will shut off Generatori keep mine topped off every trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg&bev View Post
2022-35m hurricane. Unit is 2 months old and seems like every trip something else breaks. This trip we started generator as always,stopped for gas,turned it off and restarted it after fill up.it ran for about 20 minutes and shut(would not restart)we were close to campground so just went on.coming home today we started it up and again it shut off in about 20 minutes? 14 hours on the unit, any ideas it’s real important in Florida or the a/c will never catch up. Thanks
Old 07-13-2022, 08:34 PM   #33

State: Louisiana
THOR #16555
Check oil keep topped off every trip it has a low oil shut off when rv rocks it can shutoff
Old 07-13-2022, 09:47 PM   #34

THOR #20220
It use to be if oil level at full or over folks would shut off.
My brother in law had near 1/4 gas and he adjusted some altitude sensor or knob and it worked
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:50 PM   #35

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg&bev View Post
2022-35m hurricane. Unit is 2 months old and seems like every trip something else breaks. This trip we started generator as always,stopped for gas,turned it off and restarted it after fill up.it ran for about 20 minutes and shut(would not restart)we were close to campground so just went on.coming home today we started it up and again it shut off in about 20 minutes? 14 hours on the unit, any ideas it’s real important in Florida or the a/c will never catch up. Thanks
Are you near any of these places ..they will review fix for FREE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220713-154932_Chrome.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	38678  
Old 07-14-2022, 01:44 AM   #36

State: Florida
THOR #26505
I took it in for warranty, it’s 3 months old they need to fix it at dealer,thanks for all your input
Old 07-20-2022, 01:52 PM   #37

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: New Jersey
THOR #1205
Generator

I had the same issue a few years ago while traveling in FL too. I realized it was heat related too. I figured it was very hot in the compartment and the generator was starving for air, so I took the cover off of the generator and ran without it and it seemed to have worked.
Old 07-20-2022, 02:00 PM   #38

THOR #20220
I have used our repeatedly at 100 to 109 degrees in AZ & NM. 110 yesterday and it started no issues.
Cummins is your best place.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 02:01 PM   #39

THOR #26505
ita in the shop now. thanks
Old 07-20-2022, 03:31 PM   #40
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by njwandrr View Post
I had the same issue a few years ago while traveling in FL too. I realized it was heat related too. I figured it was very hot in the compartment and the generator was starving for air, so I took the cover off of the generator and ran without it and it seemed to have worked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins Manual
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote