Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #7059
Inverter location in 2018 31W

Does anyone know where the inverter is located in the 2018 31W? I looked for it in a 2018 31W at the dealership(looking to buy in next year). The only place i can figure it is would be under the bed which some sections were held down with screws. I guess I thought the inverter had to be located within 5 feet of the batteries, so kinda not sure on all this.

If the inverter is located under the bed, would that mean it would be easier to swap the modified sine wave inverter with a pure sine wave one? Also looking to hook microwave and a few outlets(including bedroom one) to the new inverter.
Steve

Old 07-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
It's under the bed in the compartment with the four screw lid, lots of room in there. Just so you know, unless you have big batteries with a lot of juice the microwave will drain them very quickly!
Old 07-08-2017, 08:40 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #7059
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
It's under the bed in the compartment with the four screw lid, lots of room in there. Just so you know, unless you have big batteries with a lot of juice the microwave will drain them very quickly!
Ok, great, thanks. Sorry, I should have clarified, the microwave use would be very limited, heating coffee, warming food, maybe a little more than that, but nothing more than a minute or two. Also CPAP usage and charging devices if no shore power.

So if the batteries are under the steps, isn't that a long run of wiring from the batteries to under the bed? Sorry for the basic questions, just trying to understand the basics.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveku View Post
... Also CPAP usage and charging devices if no shore power.
Many good uses for an inverter in an RV - but look at the devices you are going to power... Many CPAP machines convert 110vAC to 12vDC (a brick transformer in the power line.) Many devices (all cell phones, tablets, laptops) do the same... Powering directly off 12v (CPAP / Laptop) or stepping down 12vDC to 5vDC for a USB charger (cell phones / tablets) is more efficient than converting 12vDC to 110vAC and back to 12v/5v...

Obviously not an option for normal household appliances like microwave or coffee maker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveku View Post
... So if the batteries are under the steps, isn't that a long run of wiring from the batteries to under the bed? Sorry for the basic questions, just trying to understand the basics.
Typically the shorter the run of 12v from battery to inverter - the better... Longer runs require thicker gauge wire to reduce voltage drop. Hopefully (I would say I assume... but...) Thor used an appropriate sized wire for the load - though might need to change if you will be drawing more power.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:42 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
Ditto the battery bank if you are not going to upgrade the batteries the 3000W pure sine inverter won't do much for you. A nice 4 bank with quality batteries would do it it. About $250 per battery (AGM maintenance free) and $400 for the inverter, but it's pretty good piece of mind if you think you might be without shore power and not able to run the generator.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:13 AM   #6

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Texas
THOR #2889
It's located under the refrigerator. Remove the drawer under the refrigerator. It's on the floor on the left side.