Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2017, 09:17 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #8636
Question for duncii

Quote:
I have the Quantum KM24 which is on the Merc chassis. Just installed a solar power system with charging monitor. I can verify that both charge the house batteries. I turn the converter off when traveling and plug the inverter into the main house plug and the batteries are still being charged by the alternator. I have 2 100w flex solar panels that are not permanently connected to the coach or charger. Store them while traveling because alt does a better job of charging the batteries. Hardly use the generator any more. Note: we are mostly traveler boondockers. Set up so the panels can be placed on any side of the rv or up to 25' away if we park in shade on a portable pvc stand.
We want to do more boondocking than staying in RV Parks.

I would love more details about your setup! I'm kind of lost when you say that you plug the main house plug into the inverter. Plugging into the inverter just like plugging into shore power?
Thanks!!!

Old 01-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #22

Model: Citation
State: California
THOR #10380
Generator

I just bought a 2017 Mercedes-Benz citation and my generator shut down periodically for no reason, I get three blinking lights sometimes. I’m new to this and there’s only about 20 hours on this generator, I would like some feedback please
Old 01-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #23
DTB

Model: Citation Sprinter
State: Utah
THOR #6977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nraia View Post
I just bought a 2017 Mercedes-Benz citation and my generator shut down periodically for no reason, I get three blinking lights sometimes. I’m new to this and there’s only about 20 hours on this generator, I would like some feedback please
I believe that our generator problem was caused by a combination of the following: Low House batteries, faulty breaker, and a faulty battery "use/store" switch. Fully charging the house batteries and changing a faulty breaker (I don't know which one) seem to resolve the problem. My firm belief is that the problems were all related to a low battery charge. The vehicle was not consistently charging the house batteries because of a loose house battery connection. The generator would not run due to a faulty circuit breaker. Once those issues were resolved the generator has run flawlessly. Caveat - we are going boon docking in a month or so . . . so we will really be able to test it then.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:30 AM   #24

THOR #10380
Thanks

I check the battery connections they seem to be fine. Did you replace the breaker? Did you replace the use store but switch? I really appreciate the help
Old 01-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #25
DTB

Model: Citation Sprinter
State: Utah
THOR #6977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nraia View Post
I check the battery connections they seem to be fine. Did you replace the breaker? Did you replace the use store but switch? I really appreciate the help
The dealership replaced both the breaker and the Use/Store switch. That, and a fully charged battery seemed to make all the difference.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:34 PM   #26

Model: Citation 24SR
State: Kansas
THOR #9869
I have a 2013 Thor Citation and had to have my relay on the generator replaced.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:41 PM   #27

THOR #10354
Yes. Measure the batteries voltage before either the engine or generator are on. They should be around 12.4V. Start the engine first because, as mentioned above, the engine alternator does probably not charge the house batteries and measure the voltage. It may rise to >12.8V if they are being charged but if the voltage remains the same, the alternator does not charge the house batteries. Start the generator and measure the house batteries after the generator has been on for 1 minute. You should see the battery voltage rise at least 0.5V that would imply charging. Next, plug the RV into your shore power and measure for the battery voltage change. This procedure will tell you which charger(s) are presently functioning presently to charge your batteries. Then you have to read your operating manual for the Mercedes to learn how it is supposed to work.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #28

THOR #10354
Now that you have fixed the problem, you better measure the total energy left in your house batteries by exercizing them from full charge to a reasonable discharged voltage state (around 11V but immediately recharge after this procedure or you will do additional harm to the house batteries). I just purchased a 2017 RV that had been sitting on the dealer lot for almost a year. On delivery, the batteries were very low so I asked them to charge them. They did and then I proceeded to drive 2000 miles West. The batteries would not supply enogh energy to keep the heater on at night on the trip. When I got home, I charged the batteries and found that one was gassing and leaking (boiling I assume). I immediately bought two new deep cycle batteries from Costco (surprised they carry them) and installed them immediately. The Good Sam guarantee picked up the charges and sent me a check in the mail. Once the lead acid batteries have gone through 1,2 or 3 deep discharges and/or, left in a discharged state for a few days or weeks they will loose a significant mount of their energy storage due to sulphation. Keep your batteries charged during long periods (a month or more) of storage with a "float" charger. Even the cheap float charge units available from Harbor Freight (~<$9) have worked very well for me. DO NOT leave a normal battery charger on the batteries for longer than a few hours as they typically overcharge and damage batteries. Float chargers are voltage limited to around 13.5V, safe for long term (years) storage.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #29

THOR #10380
Generator

After many hours of different outfits a problem with my generator was it to kinks in the supply hose FYI