Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2023, 10:42 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Fact! I would change it...it's a cheap option. The systems monitor oil temperature, RPM's and a multitude of driving conditions as well. Those 10 mile hikes up the 8% grade mountains at 45MPH at 4,000+ RPM probably equal 500+ miles of normal driving. Mercedes recommends 20,000 miles between drain intervals...NO WAY! I changed it at 7,000 and will do the same going forward. I was surprised to see it still had a slight amber color to it. Cost me $120 in parts. MB dealer wanted $675.
Maybe you did not follow my post since you do not own the same engine. The Ford manual for the 7.3 engine recommends a 10,000 mile oil change interval but our coach went to 0% at 9,500 miles. I was trying to convey that it came up 500 miles short because the oil monitor looks at other factors besides miles. As usual my communications skills leave something to be desired.

Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 12:08 PM   #22

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Interesting.

Oil changes are relatively cheap insurance. I am in Florida and rarely go full limit on oil changes because in moist environment in moisture laden air I see evidence of long term buildup in oil.

I also build race engines and never use synthetic unless manufacturer recomends.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:58 PM   #23

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Add...motorhomes are unique in that, they operate in the most extreme conditions 100% of the time...fully loaded to near max and most over of full GVWR and often see more mountainous terrain than any thing on the roads.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 07:02 PM   #24

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Add...motorhomes are unique in that, they operate in the most extreme conditions 100% of the time...fully loaded to near max and most over of full GVWR and often see more mountainous terrain than any thing on the roads.
Change "More Mountainous terrain" to "a higher percentage of mountainous terrain per mile driven"

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote