Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2021, 08:24 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
110/220 volts is the old standard. 120/240 VAC is the current standard.
So for comparison; my existing Onan 5500 is actually rated for 6,000 watts with new standard with peak draw of 50 amps; versus buying a Ford 150 pickup at 7,200 watts with 30 amps max draw If so; it may be more power, but less juice for me.

With that said, I would love that system in a luxury SUV. It would be a must have for me. I have never owned a truck and not likely to ever buy one.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:46 PM   #22

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
So for comparison; my existing Onan 5500 is actually rated for 6,000 watts with new standard with peak draw of 50 amps; versus buying a Ford 150 pickup at 7,200 watts with 30 amps max draw If so; it may be more power, but less juice for me.

With that said, I would love that system in a luxury SUV. It would be a must have for me. I have never owned a truck and not likely to ever buy one.

The Onan 5500 generator is rated at 45.8 Amps at 120 Volts, which is 5,500 Watts.

It is not capable of 240 Volts as far as I know. From a “max power” standpoint, it can provide just under half the electrical power of a 50 Amp campground service (which is 12,000 Watts nominal).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	910841B2-3E8A-4491-814B-AEF9B66E5FA8.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	35409  
Old 12-31-2021, 09:44 PM   #23

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
The Onan 5500 generator is rated at 45.8 Amps at 120 Volts, which is 5,500 Watts.

It is not capable of 240 Volts as far as I know. From a “max power” standpoint, it can provide just under half the electrical power of a 50 Amp campground service (which is 12,000 Watts nominal).
Ah man the facts keep getting in my way I see why you say it has MORE power than the Onan 5500; ( It does) . To take it a step further per the specs you sent; when my RV is in Colorado ( Denver) I can only get about 4500 watts of power as the specs say I lose 3.5% per 1,000 feet of altitude.

I would love to find a luxury SUV, with this power inverter system, that is under 5,000 lbs that could also tow 5,000 lbs. We don't have a towed, but if I bought new SUV, I would like for it to be toad capable, but something I could drive day to day to work ( if we ever go back into the office
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-31-2021, 10:42 PM   #24

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
You're a Texan & never owned a pick'em up truck?
That's almost un-Texan!
As for generators, I'd have to buy a portable 'cause I ain't buying NO Ford!!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 11:08 PM   #25

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
You're a Texan & never owned a pick'em up truck?
That's almost un-Texan!
I came to Texas with no shoes and a Z28 Camaro , since here; I have bought (not counting my wife's or kids cars)

1. Jeep Cherokee Laredo
2. Jeep Grand Cherokee
3. Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
4. Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
5. Lincoln Navigator
6. TBD

Three years ago I was going to buy another Lincoln Navigator, but thought the $90k price was absolutely outrageous . I told my wife with that kind of money we could buy an RV, with 5500 watt genny, AGS, 2 true deep cycle AGM batteries, 3 TVs, 2 Kitchens, 2 Fridges and Inverter. The rest is history.

About once per year I really do need a truck, I just go to U - haul and get a trailer and don't even sweat it. The above is why we drive and treat our RV like a SUV. I drive it everywhere including around town.

I have to keep my current Navigator to tow my 24' boat. If I could find a SUV that can tow the boat (about 5,000lbs), be towed 4 wheel down (less than 5,000 lbs), have nice power inverter system, and be luxury on the line of a Lincoln or Cadillac I would buy it. Other option is find a SUV that can replace my wife's XT5 and be towable as 4 wheel down, and then I could by a New Navigator or Aviator
Old 01-01-2022, 12:55 AM   #26

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Them lectric cars and trucks are just a fad.. they'll never be mainstream. It's just like those newfangled color TVs... just a passing trend.
Old 01-01-2022, 01:27 AM   #27

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Them lectric cars and trucks are just a fad.. they'll never be mainstream. It's just like those newfangled color TVs... just a passing trend.
Kind of like wearing shoes, if you think about it are they really necessary? everybody just want to do what everybody else is doing

But if you ever go to Midland, Texas; heart of the real oil industry in Texas seems like 90% of all the vehicles are some form of truck. There are at least 4 Steak houses on every main street / highway and NOTHING is Cheap in Midland, Texas You would think Gas would be free or at least very cheap, but noooooooooo
Old 01-01-2022, 01:47 AM   #28

THOR #2121
Quote:
.....cut....

I would love to find a luxury SUV, with this power inverter system, that is under 5,000 lbs that could also tow 5,000 lbs. We don't have a towed, but if I bought new SUV, I would like for it to be toad capable, but something I could drive day to day to work ( if we ever go back into the office

Quote:
.....cut....

I have to keep my current Navigator to tow my 24' boat. If I could find a SUV that can tow the boat (about 5,000lbs), be towed 4 wheel down (less than 5,000 lbs), have nice power inverter system, and be luxury on the line of a Lincoln or Cadillac I would buy it. Other option is find a SUV that can replace my wife's XT5 and be towable as 4 wheel down, and then I could by a New Navigator or Aviator

The Ford ProPower Onboard inverter system requires vehicle to be a hybrid or all electric. Initially offered on F-150 hybrid, it is now advertised for electric F-150 pickups and Transit vans. The inverter system initially seemed marketed to commercial buyers to power tools at job sites (and also recreational uses to a lesser degree) but for now it is limited to pickups and vans often used commercially.

Since system costs are relatively low, and much of R&D has been done already, I would not be surprised if ProPower Onboard was offered on larger hybrid and electric SUVs capable of towing camping trailers; particularly on hybrids. Electric pickups and vans limit system capacity to prevent using up battery range too quickly.
Old 01-03-2022, 11:14 PM   #29

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #3477
Thanks guys for the great in formation. I have lake property that has no electricity and use the Rv there. Usually just have solar panels for coach battery but of course can’t run the AC when it gets hot. Needed a new truck and this one fit the bill in more ways than one.

As far as an old thread, does it really matter? It looked like the correct topic and turns out it was.

16ACE27 Thanks for the dog bone info.