Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2021, 04:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Leaving the Chateau behind...

Heading out tomorrow to NC for Christmas at daughter's house. She lives on the Toe River in the mountains of Burnsville. Can't get the MH in her long driveway and the only CG 3 miles away is closed for the season. I've exhausted the "park it somewhere else" options and nothing is convenient. The two friends we will visit with along the way both live in gated communities and do not allow "ugly" campers inside their "compound". So...we're traveling in the XT5 with all of Christmas and the 75# Bugsie Labrador. I bought a Sport Rack rooftop and cross bars for the Cadillac. I feel like a sardine harvester in the Pacific on a rowboat. It's the first time in 3 years we've made a road trip without the camper...I don't take anything for granted but this is a real test of that conviction. Now I know what Clark Griswold felt like with that Christmas Tree atop his old Taurus Wagon. Merry Christmas to all...travel safe and think of me while in the rest areas with your fridge full of food, private bathroom and the bed only you have slept in!!

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 01:58 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Don't try to relive too much of the Clark Griswold experience! You already know this will be a reminder of why you love traveling in the RV. Have a great trip!
Old 12-23-2021, 02:19 AM   #3

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
i feel the pain
i recently had to make a 1200 mile trip to drop off the grand dog. we choose that only one of us go...I HAD TO SLEEP in a HOTEL 2x
and use a shower and bathroom that was not mine
i was so out of my element

hindsight....i should have taken the bus and a week

safe travels
Old 12-23-2021, 03:15 AM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I feel your pain Gritz. We are heading to our g-daughters for Christmas. We will have to sleep in her house! First time we are going up there without the motorhome, it doesn't feel right. Oh well try and enjoy your trip!
Merry Christmas!
Mark
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 03:22 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Heading out tomorrow to NC for Christmas at daughter's house. She lives on the Toe River in the mountains of Burnsville. Can't get the MH in her long driveway and the only CG 3 miles away is closed for the season. I've exhausted the "park it somewhere else" options and nothing is convenient. The two friends we will visit with along the way both live in gated communities and do not allow "ugly" campers inside their "compound". So...we're traveling in the XT5 with all of Christmas and the 75# Bugsie Labrador. I bought a Sport Rack rooftop and cross bars for the Cadillac. I feel like a sardine harvester in the Pacific on a rowboat. It's the first time in 3 years we've made a road trip without the camper...I don't take anything for granted but this is a real test of that conviction. Now I know what Clark Griswold felt like with that Christmas Tree atop his old Taurus Wagon. Merry Christmas to all...travel safe and think of me while in the rest areas with your fridge full of food, private bathroom and the bed only you have slept in!!
Ahhh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horrified.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	35331  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 11:10 PM   #6

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
We went to visit my son by Minnesota temperature was hanging around 0 and and 3 inches of snow. Had to leave the motorhome in the driveway and take the xt5, Two adults, dog and xt5 filled with gifts. I gave my son a smoker but it wouldn't fit in the car so I had to buy it in Minnesota. Have a great Christmas everything will work out
Old 12-24-2021, 12:27 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
I suspect you wont find any RV park open except for around Asheville. We used to say up at the Bears Den, but is a bear to get to in the winter. We are getting to old to dry camp in the winter.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #8

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Well next time you can park it in my compound and ferry your stuff the 2 hours to Burnsville.
Old 01-01-2022, 08:11 PM   #9

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Quote:
You need this for that trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3270 (6).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	35428  
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:42 PM   #10

THOR #11130
Never again! Bugsie got so stressed in the car over 1,600+ miles. She's 13 and so set in her ways. We so often, with the MH sitting in the driveway, second guess our choices and options...not anymore. I'll never make a trip like this without our home on wheels...I don't have to. 2022 is our year to tame the Wild, Wild West. We'll downsize in the Fall but we'll never travel long distances in a car....ever! Thanks for all the comments...we have a very unique family here...God is Great!
Old 01-01-2022, 08:47 PM   #11

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Quote:
Never again! Bugsie got so stressed in the car over 1,600+ miles. She's 13 and so set in her ways. We so often, with the MH sitting in the driveway, second guess our choices and options...not anymore. I'll never make a trip like this without our home on wheels...I don't have to. 2022 is our year to tame the Wild, Wild West. We'll downsize in the Fall but we'll never travel long distances in a car....ever! Thanks for all the comments...we have a very unique family here...God is Great!
Man I hear you. We sold that Sprinter Thor Synergy and went up to a huge Thor Tuscany diesel pusher with 4 big slides. I will never give up the room we have now. Our dogs love it and so de we. Spent almost two weeks with it down in Texas and loved having a real house with us. :-)
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 11:04 PM   #12

Model: Hurrican 34J
THOR #4107
Once you have enjoyed a Class A, there is not turning back to travel by car or SUV

We purchased our Hurricane so we could travel with all the kids and all the pets, now even if its just my wife, me and one of our dogs, we still take the RV over any other car/truck.

I was just recently exploring if Harvest Hosts would be a good option to travel and stay off the beaten path.

Since they are not a formal "Campground" I would believe they are more likely to remain "open" to receive overnight travelers even in the winter.
Old 01-01-2022, 11:21 PM   #13

THOR #11130
Class A has nothing to do with it...any form of RV has everything to do with it. Harvest Host is off the chart...excellent options off the beaten path. Just do a little business with them and help support their small business efforts. We stay at them often. My first "free stay" IN 2019 cost me $450. Excellent dinner and a case of wine at Horse Creek Winery in Nashville, GA. Watching April pick grapes with her coffee, in her pajamas the next morning was priceless.
Old 01-02-2022, 01:58 AM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to read that you managed to survive it!
And I agree: the "Turtle" style of travelling is the best!
Old 01-02-2022, 03:07 PM   #15

THOR #2121
Quote:

Could not agree more.

Any size motorhome that allows sleeping, eating, and pooping in your own space while on road trips is an immense improvement over a car or SUV. For us the smaller it can be and still meet our needs the better.

I’m curious how much “downsizing” you are considering in the Fall? Do you already have a type of unit in mind?
Old 01-02-2022, 09:54 PM   #16

THOR #11130
Looking but not sure yet...leaning towards the biggest dual rear wheel 3500 Mercedes chassis but not sure what upfit...maybe one slide. Just don't wish to have to convert the sofa to a bed or the kitchen to a bath...and no wet bath. Most importantly it must have enough power to pull the fire outta Hell with minimum engine noise.