Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
here's an example - GA I75 S of Macon - a HUGE route for so many between FL and everywhere else... [gasbuddy app]

at least TWO stations just the next exit up are 25cents per gallon less for the same exact diesel...that's $12.50 savings for a single 50 gallon fill up....
versus the 'truck stop' at Loves

take your pick, spend more if you want...
Yep, Loves is $2.10 a gallon for gas; cheaper than most of the other stations.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:36 PM   #22

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
I first look for Costco gas stations; usually at least .10 cheaper than regular gas stations, and often more in the .15 to .19 cheaper per gallon. If no Costco's then I use Flying J or Pilot. Having a smaller class A, Axis, lets you get in to some of the tighter locations that bigger rigs can't get in.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:31 AM   #23

Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
With these cheaper gas stations, do they have a high level of ethanol? Out here in AZ most stations don't. And lately we have only seen it in UT.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:37 AM   #24
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor29.3inAZ View Post
With these cheaper gas stations, do they have a high level of ethanol? Out here in AZ most stations don't. And lately we have only seen it in UT.
Up to 10% like everyone else.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:59 AM   #25

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Loves - first choice - easier in and out is of greater importance.
Pilot - Last choice - especially after this trip.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #26

THOR #6333
I plan trips from Costco to Costco if possible. Costco gas app tells where diesel is located. Always clean bathrooms, grab a quick bite to eat and restock on staples. Parking lots are large if you want to cook or grab a quick nap. Never had a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 08-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #27

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I use Gas Buddy to find fuel but have one particular filter I use and never vary. I prefer Top Tier gasoline and won't buy from a station that doesn't have it, if I have to spend a couple of more cents that's ok with me. There is a difference in fuels and Top Tier fuel is IMHO much better for my engine, I run it in everything including my lawnmower.

If you don't know about Top Tier check out their website. Home | Top Tier Gas
Old 08-18-2017, 10:22 AM   #28

State: Alaska
THOR #6879
My problem with pilot is you either you take up two pumps or you hang out . I don't have problems at Kroger Fuel easy in out on most. Also BP is usually good if they are newer. I'll have to try the J.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #29

THOR #6333
Costco has a top tier label on their pumps and I found as much as 25-30 cent cheaper than local stations for diesel.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #30
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
I use Gas Buddy to find fuel but have one particular filter I use and never vary. I prefer Top Tier gasoline and won't buy from a station that doesn't have it, if I have to spend a couple of more cents that's ok with me. There is a difference in fuels and Top Tier fuel is IMHO much better for my engine, I run it in everything including my lawnmower.

If you don't know about Top Tier check out their website. Home | Top Tier Gas
So only these gas stations? Walmart/Murphys ain't on the list.

76 Aloha ARCO Beacon BP/Amoco Ultimate BP Regular BP Silver Break Time Cenex Chevron CITGO Conoco Co-op Costco Gasoline CountryMark CountryMark Plus Diamond Shamrock Esso Express Exxon Hele Holiday Kwik Star Kwik Trip Kwik Trip Express Mahalo Marathon Metro Petro MFA Mobil OAAI Ohana Fuels Petro-Canada Phillips 66 PUMA Energy Caribe QT QuikTrip Road Ranger Shamrock Shell Shell (Canada)
Old 08-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #31
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The problem I have with Costco is that I can't walk out of there without spending $100+ and then there is no place in the RV to store a 55 gallon barrel of vegetable oil to go along with the two oversized boxes of breakfast cereal. Let alone the 30 gallons of mustard!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #32

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The problem I have with Costco is that I can't walk out of there without spending $100+ and then there is no place in the RV to store a 55 gallon barrel of vegetable oil to go along with the two oversized boxes of breakfast cereal. Let alone the 30 gallons of mustard!
I have that same problem but still love Costco. If you go at lunch time, you can make your meal from all the free food samples they hand out.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #33

THOR #6333
We go thru milk and eggs like there's no tomorrow and an occasional case yeungling.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #34

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
LOL, LOL, Best thing I've read this morning and "ain't it the truth".
Old 08-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #35

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Pretty much yes. If they aren't listed they aren't a seller. If you read the requirements it says if a retailer sells it in one station they MUST sell it in all stations. Around where I live I like Quik Trip, so every Quik Trip I go to I know they will have Top Tier gas. Cost isn't any more and many times Top Tier stations are the cheapest, go figure!
Old 08-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #36

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Up to 10% like everyone else.
If you want more power & better fuel mileage you don't want ANY ethanol not more. The the use of ethanol reduced the average mpg on most vehicles by 10%, raised the price 10 cents +/- a gallon, & ironic as that's the amount of ethanol they blend in real gasoline. If you can locate a station with ethanol free gasoline, fill up.
Also fuel at Costco most likely comes from the same source as any name brand station with "top tier" fuels & the mom & pop store across the street unless you have multiple refineries in the area. In the DFW area the were about 4-5 sources for fuels destined for stations, depending on which had the best price today is where the station got its fuel. Because you buy at BP doesn't mean you are only buying fuel refined by BP, Valero, Chevron, 76, whomever may be supplying the fuel. I retired from Valero & we supplied fuel to Murphy, Costco, Loves, QT, + all the major brands of fuel. The only limiting factor was when we had the best price & had trucks lined up for a 1/2 mile, fuel for Valero stations had priority.
The moral is it doesn't matter where you buy you may be getting different brands of fuel every fill up & it will meet all required government standards for fuels.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote