Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2017, 06:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Good Sam, Pilot and Flying J

Folks, just wondering what u guys think about this.

Good Sam made arrangements with Pilot and Flying J and I like getting the $.05 a gallon off. Works out pretty good.

But, it seems that Pilot is becoming more and more big coach unfriendly. U usually have to wait/fight to get a spot to gas up and than its hard to get out and nowhere to park to go in to restroom or get something to eat.

On other hand, Flying J has more and more stations with RV lanes. They're great. Usually a Denny's there and plenty of parking. Sometimes u find the 2 of them within a few exits of each other so I always head to Flying J.

Just curious what everyone else's observation has been? Thx, Dennis.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:46 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I have given up on Pilot and always use Flying J only. In my opinion, unless you use diesel, Pilot is for cars, SUV's and pickups only. They are not big RV friendly which is surprising since Pilot and Flying J are owned by the same. The only dependable place to fill up if you need gas, are in a 30+ foot RV with a toad, Flying J is pretty much your only safe bet. If someone else knows of another national station that is RV friendly like Flying J, would like to hear about it.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I are agreeant with ur observations.

FlyingJ over Pilot any day. Here in Florida off I-75 at SR-44 ther is an older Pilot to the west, only has 4 lanes with 2 pumps per lane but you can easily pull your MH and toad through them.

The brand new pilot to the east has no RV lane and probably a dozen car lanes, but good luck trying to get your MH through one of them.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:56 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Out West, I've found Loves to be big rig friendly, but as you go Midwest to East, I saw a lot of Lves that are just neighborhood gas stations.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:57 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
I have given up on Pilot and always use Flying J only. In my opinion, unless you use diesel, Pilot is for cars, SUV's and pickups only. They are not big RV friendly which is surprising since Pilot and Flying J are owned by the same. The only dependable place to fill up if you need gas, are in a 30+ foot RV with a toad, Flying J is pretty much your only safe bet. If someone else knows of another national station that is RV friendly like Flying J, would like to hear about it.
Remember although they are owned by the same company, the Pilot acquisition of flying J is a more recent development. Flying J had always catered to RV's as well as trucks. Pilot had not.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:58 PM   #6

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
I map out Flying J locations with RV lanes, and try to plan my stops accordingly.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:02 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Have to agree with you Mike, seems like out west the Loves are Newer very Spacious and seemed Cleaner to me also very competitive with pricing.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:06 PM   #8

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Is the Flying J card for .05 cents off a gallon, free or do you have to buy some sort of membership?
Old 08-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 31E
THOR #7695
I have downloaded the pilot/flyingJ app for my phone. It allows you to plan your route and shows you where there are rv lanes available. Good tool to have.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:33 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
Is the Flying J card for .05 cents off a gallon, free or do you have to buy some sort of membership?
Comes with Good Sam membership or you can get a standalone card from them.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:15 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
I are agreeant with ur observations.

FlyingJ over Pilot any day. Here in Florida off I-75 at SR-44 ther is an older Pilot to the west, only has 4 lanes with 2 pumps per lane but you can easily pull your MH and toad through them.

The brand new pilot to the east has no RV lane and probably a dozen car lanes, but good luck trying to get your MH through one of them.
I've been to that one. Its a mess. Wont ever get gas there again
Old 08-15-2017, 08:52 PM   #12

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I have a 35' diesel coach, a total of over 50' with toad, and have never used any FlyingJ, Pilot, or similar 'truck stop' type fuel stations - I use regular stations everyone else uses, and don't have to be concerned with any 'cents' off card usage - GasBuddy app provides plenty of info for the best priced diesel, and even directions to the station, with overview and streetview within GoogleMaps - which is an excellent planning tool to know the layout of the station, entrance and exit points, and other concerns nearby.
Filling with diesel is even harder than regular at most common stations since many don't have diesel at every post, and some even have diesel at a totally different lane, though that's less common - most keep the diesel on the outside lanes.

I'll agree, though, that diesels are 'easier' to fuel, if you are comparing the placement of the fuel fills. A diesel with it's fuel fill near the front driver side, or even on both the driver and/or passenger front side is very convenient, and actually makes manuevering to a diesel post 'easier' since your rig is less likely to stick out into the travel lanes as much. Most gassers have their fills at/near the driver side rear, or on the rear itself. Many manufacturers claim that the 'rear fill' placement makes it easier to fill since you can fill from 'either side', making placement of your rig less important, but most who have these will admit that the claim is baseless. Since you have to pull your rig basically PAST the fuel post, your rig can now be sticking well out into traffic!

I know this from not only personal experience with a 5vr, a gasser, and now a diesel rig, but because I also transport all size ClassA coaches from the factories to dealers. Filling the fuel is a common aggravation since almost every coach is different, especially the placement within the gassers - some easier, some not so much. When you have to try to gauge your rear's distance to the fuel post, it can take a few tries to keep it within reach of the hose.

No rig design is 'perfect' for every fuel station, even the truck stops, but a rear are fuel fill placement is probably the most difficult. Your comfort level and confidence in handling your rig within fuel stations is the key. Some will always default to the 'easiest', though those aren't always what they claim. I've seen 'RV LANES' that were tighter and harder to maneuver thru than the regular vehicle lanes for cars!

I can't justify spending 10 to 50 cents more per gallon for a 'truck stop' versus a 'regular station' one exit down, 5cents off or not.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:08 PM   #13

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
I experience earlier this year that their fuel was more expensive than loves or t/a even with discount
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I can't justify spending 10 to 50 cents more per gallon for a 'truck stop' versus a 'regular station' one exit down, 5cents off or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016vegas View Post
I experience earlier this year that their fuel was more expensive than loves or t/a even with discount
I've not seen that in Florida or Georgia: Pilot/FlyingJ is generally cheaper than the nearby Shell, Exxon, or whatever. And the T/A and Loves are exactly the same price at the same exit.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:40 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
I would say Flying J, Loves, TA and Pilot only as last resort. I just always pull over where there are three or four options and look for the easy option, I'll pay an extra couple dollars if the station is RV friendly and I'm not going to be squeezed.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:44 AM   #16

State: Virginia
THOR #7607
With a rear fill up point, my rear camera comes in to play. Since it looks straight down to the bumper and hitch, I can watch for the gas pump to appear and know I'm at the correct spot to stop for the hose to reach.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:59 AM   #17

Model: Chateau 35SF
THOR #2020
I have seen two new Flying Js that did not have the RV lanes. Hope this is not trend.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #18

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
I use the Allstays Camp and RV app. It has a filter to look for the different fuel stops, see the current fuel price and even show satellite view of the fuel stop so you can see the best way to get into the fuel lane. It shows the average rateing of the stop and if they have a RV fuel lane or not. I usually end up at a Flying J. My card gives me .07 cents.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #19

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Cool

here's an example - GA I75 S of Macon - a HUGE route for so many between FL and everywhere else... [gasbuddy app]

at least TWO stations just the next exit up are 25cents per gallon less for the same exact diesel...that's $12.50 savings for a single 50 gallon fill up....
versus the 'truck stop' at Loves

take your pick, spend more if you want...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GA I75 S.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	6374  
Old 08-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #20

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
THOR #6040
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
here's an example - GA I75 S of Macon - a HUGE route for so many between FL and everywhere else... [gasbuddy app]

at least TWO stations just the next exit up are 25cents per gallon less for the same exact diesel...that's $12.50 savings for a single 50 gallon fill up....
versus the 'truck stop' at Loves

take your pick, spend more if you want...

do you find that common for the diesel product.

Because looking at gas, the Loves you picked is cheaper than their immediate neighbor at the same exit, about 5 cents higher than the exit to the north, and about 3 cents cheaper than the exit to the south. I look at gas buddy always, and really have not found there to be any reliable method to any of the gas pricing madness with regard to the name on the station. I do tend to see certain locations that have a slightly lower average than others. I like to zoom out on gas buddy and look at the color "heatmap" for gas prices.