Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2022, 03:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #26505
gps

is there any way to get gps on my hurrican 35m screen,brand new to class a and navagation really is nice to have.

Old 04-13-2022, 03:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg&bev View Post
is there any way to get gps on my hurrican 35m screen,brand new to class a and navagation really is nice to have.
Only if the radio is equipped with navigation or navigation capable (adding a SIM) or Apple Car Play or similar.
Old 04-13-2022, 03:51 PM   #3

THOR #26505
gps

it has Sirius set up capability,ill check on that just hate to have use iPad
Old 04-13-2022, 04:29 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
it has Sirius set up capability,ill check on that just hate to have use iPad
Sirius doesn’t mean it includes nav. That only means you can buy a couple more components and then pay for an overpriced SXM subscription.

As note, most factory radio nav systems are garbage in large motorhomes. You want something where you can set the rigs parameters such as height, width, weight etc and it will route to avoid problem areas.

Safe travels.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:06 PM   #5

THOR #26505
Thanks I was afraid of that, guess I do Mapquest or google on my iPad
Old 04-13-2022, 06:18 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Few installed GPS have RV capability, that is w way to set height width, and length restrictions. Also nice to have is special routing instructions such as always take bypasses. For me, I like Trucker Path.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 10:04 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
The Jensen radio in my Tuscany had Bluetooth and gps but couldn’t use either someone forgot to add the microphone for Bluetooth and a gps antenna, I found a Jensen service pack on Amazon for 69.00 and it included the microphone, gps antenna, all wiring and a new faceplate with unlocking keys, now it works great, I just laid the antenna on the dash by windshield
Old 04-17-2022, 01:34 AM   #8

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
The Jensen radio in my Tuscany had Bluetooth and gps but couldn’t use either someone forgot to add the microphone for Bluetooth and a gps antenna, I found a Jensen service pack on Amazon for 69.00 and it included the microphone, gps antenna, all wiring and a new faceplate with unlocking keys, now it works great, I just laid the antenna on the dash by windshield
Curious as to the vintage of your Tuscany ?

Didn't know they ever used Jensen

Do you have RM also?
Old 04-17-2022, 01:35 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We use a Garmin GPS for RVs. I don't want to be looking down at that radio screen, because for those moments, I am not seeing the road. My Garmin sits on the dash and the road is in my peripheral vision much better. I rarely need the audio instructions.

When you set the height of your RV, it will keep you from going places you can't go. That feature is what made me buy it years ago. My old GPS tried to take me through an underpass that my rig couldn't clear.

The other great thing about the Garmin is it shows current speed limit and actual speed. Again, it saves me having to focus on the speedometer on the dash. It also can show altitude and a variety of readings like ETA or distance to destination, which any GPS can do.
Old 04-17-2022, 08:18 PM   #10

THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Curious as to the vintage of your Tuscany ?

Didn't know they ever used Jensen

Do you have RM also?
It’s a 2014 Tuscany xte and it came with a new remote also.
Old 04-17-2022, 11:08 PM   #11

THOR #26505
Have not used Jensen, and new to class a what is rm?
Old 04-20-2022, 02:48 PM   #12

Model: Palazzo 36.1
THOR #3182
I've gotten to the point I won't even leave without my Garmin RV GPS, that thing is a lifesaver to be honest and I was never a very big fan of these in a regular vehicle. I always found Google maps to be fine but not in an RV.
One nice thing about the Garmin is once you get where you're going in the RV you can take this guy with you in your car/truck and use it there too.

Mine has lifetime map updates, weather and traffic. It even offers alternative routes if it sees traffic on your current route. For $300 you can hardly go wrong.
Old 04-20-2022, 03:20 PM   #13

THOR #12726
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
I've gotten to the point I won't even leave without my Garmin RV GPS, that thing is a lifesaver to be honest and I was never a very big fan of these in a regular vehicle. I always found Google maps to be fine but not in an RV.
One nice thing about the Garmin is once you get where you're going in the RV you can take this guy with you in your car/truck and use it there too.

Mine has lifetime map updates, weather and traffic. It even offers alternative routes if it sees traffic on your current route. For $300 you can hardly go wrong.
I generally plan my trips out on a map beforehand so I know what routes I’m traveling on ,but I do use my gps because It tells me when my exits are coming up and what lane to be in going thru big cities, and for directions to my destination once in that town, i have mine set for the size of my mh for height so I still use common sense with it
Old 04-20-2022, 03:52 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post

X2

Using the Garmin in a rental mini van this week because it does not have GPS or Car Play.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:51 PM   #15

THOR #25859
Gps

Greg & Bev (et al),

As others have mentioned, the Garmin RV GPS series permits one to enter the length, width, and height of their unit--plus toad or trailer, if applicable. We spent nearly $200,000 on our Windsport 35M including taxes, licensing, dealer upgrades, after-market upgrades, and our Garmin RV GPS 1090. The Garmin was about $750 and I had an SD-Micro card for it.

Let me tell you, that Garmin is sooo cool! You can enter the destination via an app from your smart phone, so there's no need to learn way forward to reach the screen. The unit's mount is attached to the driver's side window and is in front of the post between the windshield and the side window (see photo).

From the main menu, take "Trip History", select a trip, and you'll see a variety of information in three screens:

-trip route
--departure time
--travel time
--distance
--arrival time

-elevation
--minimum
--maximum
--steepest grade

-speed
--overall average
--moving average
--maximum speed
--moving time
--stopped time

We use Garmin Nuvi 2689 GPS units in the toad and my pickup. The benefit they have over the GPS 1090 is a screen shot capability. I took the photos below with my phone and you can see the reflection of my phone. There may be a means of doing that through the smart phone app and I'm ignorant of it...anyone know?

Travel safe!

Kelly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cockpit04_1200.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	981.8 KB
ID:	38014   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lenoir2Tallapoosa_1200.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	775.8 KB
ID:	38015  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lenoir2Tallapoosa_Elevation_1200.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	566.1 KB
ID:	38016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lenoir2Tallapoosa_Speed_1200.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	714.6 KB
ID:	38017  

Old 06-10-2022, 07:38 PM   #16

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
I’ve worked extensively with GPS over the past 30 years - battlefield, avionics, agriculture, navigation…even as the systems engineering lead on the annual GPS reviews. The GPS chips are solid as a rock…the software written for all of these consumer devices can be sketchy. A few companies do it right - the trick is to know which ones. That said, I don’t leave home without my Garmin.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:26 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
I’ve worked extensively with GPS over the past 30 years - battlefield, avionics, agriculture, navigation…even as the systems engineering lead on the annual GPS reviews. The GPS chips are solid as a rock…the software written for all of these consumer devices can be sketchy. A few companies do it right - the trick is to know which ones. That said, I don’t leave home without my Garmin.
I think the one that had the software right was Lowrance. Too bad they gave up on the Auto market.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:40 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
I wouldn’t trust a Rand McNally GPS to walk around the block.
Old 06-10-2022, 08:42 PM   #19

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Tennessee
THOR #25865
My Thor 31W has gps but I prefer my Garmin RV and always use it.
Old 06-10-2022, 11:32 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
In my Hurricane, I can mirror my phone to the in dash Axxera. I don't do it because I pre-plan my routes with a map.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote